Had Surgery, may have re-ruptured, now very scared/depressed

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All,

I spend the better part of yesterday using "Dr. Google" to try and get some answers, but now am reaching out to this great community for some help.

I suffered a complete rupture of my Achilles exactly one week ago, and had surgery to repair it four days ago.  I am a 34 y/o male, and I ruptured it playing volleyball.  

The surgery went well, and due to my extreme hate of crutches I rented a knee scooter to get around more efficiently.  I have been doing everything right - keeping it elevated, lots of ice, rest, good food and vitamin c.  

Unfortunately, yesterday in the bathroom I lost my balance and put a good deal of weight on my recently repaired foot.  It hurt incredibly, but the pain subsided after about 30 minutes to a point that was similar to before my slip.  My wife took me to emergency where they inspected the stitches and said everything looked good externally.  Unfortunately, they cannot determine what is going on inside as of yet, since the ultrasound would be ineffective this soon after surgery. 

My achilles/leg feels a bit different now, looser.  I can put my leg up at my desk without feeling any kind of strain on the tendon, and if anything, the pain has decreased compared to before the slip.  Obviously I am hopeful that this is just natural healing and its going well, but my great fear is that I have re-ruptured and everything feels loose because it has detatched again.

I have a vacation planned with my wife - the first one in over 5 years.  We were going to go to maui at the end of September with a few of our best friends.  Had everything gone perfectly, I still could have gone (albeit with a limp).  If I have to go back for another surgery, we would have to cancel and wait for another opportunity to go.

This is all starting to add up to extreme frustration.  I run a business and havent taken any time for myself in years.  Last year, I was diagnosed with cluster headaches, and had a terrible few months.  This year I finally started to do things for myself - started golfing, bought a new motorcycle, booked vacation time... now I cannot do any of it, and my wife, who so deserves a vacation is stuck waiting on me hand and foot because I cannot do anything for myself. The stress of this situation is affecting my health and while I can deal with the physical pain of the situation, it is extremely hard for me to deal with "not knowing".

I was hoping some of you might share your thoughts on whether or not I have re-ruptured, since I wont have any answers until next week at the earliest and I am driving myself crazy with anxiety.  

Did you re-rupture? Did it pop? Rip? Did the pain intensify or lessen?

Did you slip or fall only a few days after surgery?

Any communication is appreciated.  Its hard to talk to anyone about this since I don't know anyone who has gone through it other than me.

Thank you in advance.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi there !

Don't get depressed . I did the same thing and snapped mine twice so therefore I had 2 surgeries . Of course it was awful , but having been through it twice I can say through rehab and hard work I play soccer and run again. I'm headed to Iceland next month and Europe. Just keep a level head and don't try to fall again . Do exactly as the Dr says. The only way to tell if it's broke again is an MRI. There's nothing you can do . More than likely it's fine just in pain as it will be for some time . Just keep off it and get the MRI to know if you need to repair again . If you do my second time was much better because I was careful and dos everything to the book . I recovered in less than 6 months and was running in a year . Good luck !

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your story. I know that if it is reruptured there is literally nothing I can do but keep at it. It just sucks.

Would you mind elaborating a little? How did the rerupture feel? In comparison to the original.

Thanks again

• Posted

Hi g24309,

I am so sorry about your fall. I am 1 week in as of today and my biggest fear is completely falling down on my foot! I have a walker with wheels but really find it cumbersome and am about to order a new knee scooter. I pray it will help me get more mobility around the house.

To answer your question, no I haven't taken a spill (yet) but I have had to put my injured foot down at times when using the bathroom. I can hear the anxiety in your voice but I'd say try to calm dow first and then just be extra careful until your next appointment. Until you speak with your doctor there is just no way of knowing if you hurt it or not. I kind of know how you feel because although I haven't fallen, the fear of putting any weight on my foot sends me into a frenzy.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks Dez. Good luck on this adventure, I hope it goes very smoothly for you
    • Posted

Oh and by the way Dez, I rented a knee scooter for a month.  It was about $75 to do so and I am sure that is cheaper than buying one.  Could be an option for you to consider.

Crutches are a literal pain and the scooter is way better for getting around.  The one caution I could offer is don't get too confident - I am fairly sure that is what got me into my current pickle.

Best

GT

• Posted

Hello there

Just a quick word of support.

I have not got a problem with my Achilles tendon. I have painful feet for nearly 2 years and till now no diagnosis. This problem changed my life so much and I fully understand you how you feel. An advice: follow doctor's recommendations, and keep calm. Your recovery is much important than holiday and work. I know it might be difficult to manage work if you have this problem, but you need to do your best to rest. Foot injuries are difficult. 

Be patient my friend. We will get better. I am going to pray for you.

All the best

Cris

• Posted

Thank you for the well wishes, Cris.  Two years of foot pain would be terrible, and I sincerely hope you find your solution soon.

Best,

GT

• Posted

Hi, sounds like me... I don't think I could google enough on my ruptured Achilles.  it's been 1 month now now since I ruptured mine on vacation in Florida , the sad news is that Florida's ER sent me packing with meds, partial cast, and crutches , then preceded to tell me that it was only a sprain. It was not until 3 weeks in and with the ORA Doctor here in Iowa, that I was told I had ruptured my Achilles... So now I'm in a boot for another 4 weeks, (1 week in).  And I'm trying my best to stay off it and not bear any weight!! Ugh!! Easier said than done!!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.