Scarf Akin Bunion Surgery

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am seven weeks post op re Scarf Akin Bunion Surgery.  My foot is still very swollen and I can only walk with the aid of a crutch although the surgeon said the bone is healed and to start walking.  Has anyone else experienced this swelling so long after surgery and can anyone recommend what I should or could be doing to eleviate the swelling.  I have heard Arnica or Epsom Salts may help but do I need more help than this.  Any responses and advice would be very welcome as I am desperate to get back to normal life!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Trichet....I'm now 5 weeks and am managing without the crutches but am still wearing the surgical shoe....try an ice pack a couple of times a day, it's certainly helping my swollen (still) foot. I also had my first toe straightened so have a pin in it and don't see my consultant for another 2 weeks and the pin gets removed.Hope that helps?

• Posted

Hi, I can not understand that the surgeon did not tell you, that the swelling can last a long time. It is very individual and especially with feet can take a long time. It will go down gradually, but for the foot to get to its normal size might take time. Not to forget, you are putting weight on an operated part of your body. Realistically compare it with a broken arm or finger, you do not out weight on them and they would be swollen for months. Try lymphadic massages, or cool your feet on a regular base. All will be fine, but it all takes time, unfortunately. Most important thing is no pain! Hope that is the case for you
    • Posted

Hi and thanks for your reply.  The surgeon did not say how long the foot would be swollen for but instead seemed to think the foot was swollen because I had not been elevating it during the six weeks of non weight bearing which I had!!!!  I cannot put my foot in a trainer and just wondered whether I should have been offered physio and whether this would help. 

• Posted

I'm 10 weeks post op today..... I don't use my crutches at home

but when I go out I always use one. I'm trying to up my walking

and my foot still swells so I take the crutch as it's a bit of

security as I feel I still need to use it..

I try to take at least a 1 hour walk daily..... my feet swell but as

my surgeon said it can take up to a year for the swelling to

stop so I'm not overly worried and just elevate for a while when

I'm back home..... Feet may feel a bit uncomfortable after my

walk but they are improving by the day.

Do walk as it really does help but take things easy....build your

steps up daily....Don't over do things and still rest up.

• Posted

I'm at 8 weeks bilateral scarf and akin osteotomy. My feet are still swollen and I am unable to wear any of my shoes, had to buy a size bigger, Crocs and a pair of wide fitting slippers. My surgeon says the swelling can take up to a year to completely subside and that elevating is the best thing you can do to help. I'm finding walking a real challenge as my feet, ankles and hips have been wonky for years due to the bunions. 10 days and I'm still struggling to put pressure on my toes so am limping and my feet are always sore but practice makes perfect. It all takes time and we should be much better for it in the end. Good luck.

• Posted

Swelling is normal, when I had my foot done last year, same operation, my swelling lastest for about 3-4 months and it was a year before I could wear some of my shoes...

ive just had a left Akin on my big toe and a pip fusion on my second and third toe on th same foot because I fell and broke my toe two weeks after the operation.and my second and third toes went floppy...It was a week ago today, I can walk but this time I'm being very cautious...

• Posted

I just passed ,u 12 weeks after surgery. My surgeon said I could take the boot off and wear sandles with a back. the foot is still swollen and the doctor said it could take another 6 months before the swelling goes down. 

The swelling does go down a bit over night. But of course during the day it swells. Try to keep it elevated as much as possible during the day too. that helps.

I can see a light at the end of the tunnel and you will too.

• Posted

I am 6 weeks post op and still have swelling and discomfort, expecially during the day. If I don't elevate my foot throughout the day, it feels like it's going to explode. Your surgeon sounds like mine, he never told me what to expect after surgery, what I should or should not be doing, whether I should see a physical therapist, etc., etc.  I made an appointment with a physical therapist next week and am hoping they will guide me with my recovery, which my surgeon failed to do. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Seven weeks is early days.  I had bilateral scarf and akin procedure eight months ago.  From my experience I can say that your progress at seven weeks is normal.  Keep elevating when you can.  My swelling at seven week sounds like yours.

As for shoes at seven weeks I could only wear Ugg type boots and these were two sizes bigger.  At 10 weeks I could get into Sketchers GoWalk and can recommend them.  They have memory foam soles which cushion the feet.  Even now I rely on them or Birkenstock sandals. 

At four months I went on holiday, airport assistance was required as walking was still slow and excalators were a challenge. 

Please be patient with your feet, the operation is more difficult to recover from than knee or hip surgery.  Give your feet time to recover.

My surgeon told me that swelling can take six months to a year to subside.  I can say that even now at eight months as the end of the day or if I have doing too much my feet look puffy. 

Don't lose heart though, at 10 to 12 weeks try the Skechers, I was thrilled that I could wear them after failing to fit into other shoes or trainers.  If you try the Birkenstock the sizes depend on the length of your foot.  My foot measured 245mm which equates to size 5 or EU 38.  Measure the length of your foot not the shoe.

Hope my advice has helped. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.