Hepatitis B and Chronic Kidney Disease - in shock

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I've had chronic hepatitis B for more than 12 years, but recently I was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease, stage 3. Most likely I have cirrhosis as well, since I exhibit many of its symptoms, including retention of water in my abdomen, legs and on my face. So far I've been very strict keeping a diet and trying to control the hepatitis, I've been doing the best to control the symptoms, which are getting worse with each year. However, I've begun to really feel my kidneys going worse and I was wondering what to do and whether there are any other people, who have both chronic kidney disease and Hepatitis B with cirrhosis symptoms? It's becoming harder for me to control my diet, as I feel sick after eating almost any food (protein, vegetables, fruit), I've cut down on so many things but I can't seem to improve. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Thank you for the attention!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear what your going through. To answer your question no I had Hep C and finished my 12 week treatment last Sunday, so sorry. What is your doctor saying?

• Posted

Hi Angelina! Thank you for your concern smile

Unfortunately, in my country I need to travel for hundreds of km in order to get any medical help, because my country's medical system is very inadequate and inefficient. Only one hospital in Bulgaria's capital deals with Hepatitis, and twelve years ago they told me I don't need to start treatment because my CPR is too low. And now, just to go there, I need to book an appointment at least a month in advance. So, I don't really have a realiable doctor to support me.This is why I'm here, sharing my experience and looking for people with similar ones.

• Posted

Hi Sophie and sorry to hear of your predicament. I too have chronic Hepatitis B but as I am in the UK and lucky to have the NHS I am on anti viral medication which keeps my Hep B undetectable, ( I have had it 40 years). Sadly you cannot control Hep B any other way than with anti viral medication, diet will not do it.
    • Posted

Hi Bolly, I too am chronic HBV with high viral loads in 4 million and high ALT and AST.  What kind of antivirals are you on?  How long? and any side effects?  My doctor is recommending Viread.  Just want to know if people are expericing side effects?  How long will you be on?
    • Posted

I am on Viread (Tenofovir).  Its the most recent drug, so i recommend you agree to start on that.  I've been taking it for about 5 years now.  No noticeable side effects though i have my calcium and inorganic phosphate regularly monitored to check for changes.  Just in the last few months my kidney function has started to drop, which is a known side effect.  If my eFGR goes below 55 (its at 58 at the moment, ideally should be 100%) i will be changed to a different anti-viral, probably Entecavir.

With Hepatitis B you stay on the medication for life as it is not a cure, its a medication that suppresses the virus.

• Posted

Hi Bolly,

Have you known anyone on the forum to have bad side effects? Also, according to my doctor that people do come off the treatment when their antigen level hits negative. What does your doctor say? Does your health feel like normal?

• Posted

Hi Sophie, I'm sorry to hear about you have hep b and kidney issues. Can I ask how you ended up with kidney issues? Diet, lifestyle? Have you tried taking turmeric, ginger, things that are high in antioxidants. There is a plant base way that you can consume protein as well but not sure if will ship to your location. I know you can get it in the UK. They are amino acids that gives you plant base protein that doesn't have to be processed by the liver or kidneys. Also try a whole food greens that is organic and has no fillers for nutrition. Hope this helps as far as getting proper nutrition.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.