HBcAB positive after being fully vaccinated, very confused now!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, 

I'm a 26 year old female. I just got my test result and am very confused now. 

HBsAG: negative 

HBcAB: positive 

HBsAB: positive 

The nurse said it means I got a past infection and now I'm already immunized. 

However, I got three doses of Hep B vaccines when I was 10, the fourth dose when I was 11 and the fifth dose when I was 15. I tested negative for Hep B before I got the vaccines. So I'm sure I didn't get it when I was a kid before getting the vaccines. 

I am not a drug user, I didn't get any blood transfusion, I only has one sex partner and both of us were virgin before having sex with each other. How is it possible that I could be infected after finishing 5 doses of vaccines? 

Do you guys think my result for HBcAB could be false-positive? If not, it means I belong to one of the very rare case that the vaccine didn't work? 

I'm very confused and scared now because I can't know when I got it. I could have transfer it to my boyfriend because we had unprotected sex. We started to have sex one year ago. Do you guys think my boyfriend could be at risk? 

Please advise. I'm so worried now and I can't even sleep sad 

Thank you very much!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I know how it can put you in a state of confusion, I don't understand that either if you have had numerous shots, it's weird to me. So are you saying you have Hep B? I too as well was worried and found out I had Hep C cause I had no idea how the heck I got it. If you are not comfortable with what the nurse told you I would speak to the doctor to get a better understanding. It would definitely help and then find out the treatments.

• Posted

Hello,

Thank you so much for your response.

The test result shows that I don't have Hep B now because the Hep B surface antigen is negative. The Hep B core antibody is positive, which means I got it in the past. The Hep B surface antibody is positive, which means I am not infected anymore and already immunized.

Acute Hep B infection can clear up by itself within 6 months. So if my result is truly legit, it means I got it at some point in the past and it went away on its own without me even knowing about it.

However, since I don't know when I got it, I am scared that I may transfer it to my boyfriend because we had unprotected sex. And I'm super confused because I can't figure out how I could get it after so many of shots sad

Anyone can help me to understand it?

I am going to see the doctor one week later, I can't see them sooner because they are not available. 

• Posted

Oh okay so you are cured thank goodness. Just wait to see your doctor in the meantime try not to worry too much. I know that's easier said then done. Maybe you may want to use protection until you see your doctor. Good luck. Stay healthy

• Posted

Thank you for your nice words angelina! I will keep you updated after the meeting with my doctor!

In the mean time, if anyone could help clear my confusion, I would be very appreciated!

• Posted

Hi hyun82184,  You are fine, I have two boys your age both were vacinated.  My youngest showed positive for the Hep B core antiboty also.  I am a nurse and did some serious research.  This is what I found, when vaccinated at a young age and recive at least two vaccinations the antiobodies in the vaccine can later show as positive like you had the disease.  You don't and most likely never did have the active virus.  I was recently diagnoised with Hep C and had my boys get tested because I was worried I may have some how exposed them.  Thats how I found out about my youngest.  Just to let you know Hep B is usually passed by stool exposure and is passed by people not washing their hands properly.  It is extremely rare to be passed by normal sexual contact.  Relax and enjoy life OK.. God Bless...

• Posted

Hi Lori,

Wow your reply definitely gave me a new information! So it means my Hep B core antibody positive is just the affect of the vaccines, and most likely it doesn't refer to a past infection? (And I'm sure you are talking about the Hep B core antibody, not Hep B surface antibody which of course will be positive after the vaccines right?)

Like I said in my previous post, I know I don't have any active infection now, but if I really did have it in the past, I'm extremely worried about my boyfriend sad I made me feel so much better knowing that the fact that my HBcAB is positive doesn't mean I was exposed in the past.

What do you think about the chance of false-positive?

And your last part about the one that is passed by stool, I believe you are talking about Hep A, not B. Could you clarify please?

Thank you very much!

• Posted

Sent you a clairfication in your private message and yes for anyone reading did get my Hep A and B confused.  Also do believe a false positive could happen they happen all the time.  Always get checked a second time and have your loved ones tested if there is a concern just to know for sure.
  • Posted

The only conclusion you can possibly come to, is there's a serious lack of efficacy somewhere, and things don't work the way they say they do.

I wouldn't waste energy worrying. I woukd definately get a retest, to eliminate a false positive.

When considering what the problem is, you pretty much have a whole slew of variables. Either:

The vaccine didn't work.

The recent vaccine causes a positive test result.

You were infected and had a false negative test result in the past.

The previous vaccine's full effectiveness shows as a positive blood result, though delayed.

The test results are incorrect.

The test results show positive due to some other factor, or are positive due to the vaccine.

Since most of these factors are beyond your control, start with a retest from a different lab. Once you confirm or deny results, you can move forward.

If your tests still show positive, I'd do a search to see if what factors could result in a false positive test, if any. 

It it sounds like you have a good understanding of the various antibodies they test for. Good thing.

Hope that's helpful.

• Posted

I dont know if u can help me out here, i tested for Hep. B and was negative, a day after, i went for the vaccine and started feeling the sympton for hepatise B. such as jooint pain, headeach and dizeness. Can the vaccine leads to all this or is it possible i am now possitive?
    • Posted

Hello Adenuga, if you've been tested for HepB and are negative, it's more than likely the test results are correct. 

As as for the vaccine causing symptoms, it is typical for vaccines to cause symptoms. Try a search for HepB vaccine symptoms. This might help you get some specific information on the side effects of the vaccine, so you know if they're normal.

Hope that helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.