Crutches

Posted , 2 users are following.

Has anyone in the UK been given the older type crutches that rest under your arms? I'm waiting for a surgey for a ruptured achilles on my right ankle. I've tried crutches but due to being a big lass and having tendonitis in my left ankle I can't use them. I'm sure I'll do some damage if I'm left to use the new type. TIA Denise

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I was given the crutches that go under your armpit too. After my operation the occupational therapists came to my ward and checked that I could use them on stairs and showed me how to use them correctly. If your worried I'd ask for some help if they don't come and see you which I think they will anyway. Where are you being treated? 

• Posted

Hello Mark Thank you for coming back to me.. I'll  be having my op at Blackpool Victoria Hospital.  I've tried to find out on their web site but I can see what they serve in the canteen but anything useful no chance. I'm seeing the surgeon next Monday. Should have been today but changed at the last min, I'm going to ask about the crutches at this meeting. Lady where I live broke her ankle in 3 places and all she was given was a pair of crutches.

• Posted

Let them know your really struggling with mobility and your concerned about your other ankle. It can be difficult if your not confident on crutches so let them know straight away. I'm being treated at Monklands in Airdrie up in Scotland, it was mainly the orthopedic technicians who helped me with crutches, casts and orthopedic boot. The orthopaedic surgeon was their to decide the angle of my foot in the cast and what size of wedges that would go in my boot, the orthopedic technicians would then sort everything out. Tell the surgeon and the technicians and the occupational therapist when they asses your capability to move which was after the operation for me. They had me going up and down a flight of stairs at 9am the morning after my operation lol I managed but it was a bit much so soon. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.