Does everyone with Klinefelter syndrome have a single transverse palmar crease?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

I'm new here and trying to find out if everyone with Klinefelter Syndrome has the single crease across the palm.  My son's health problems have been a bit of a mystery so far, but strongly fit the description apart from the combined single palm crease.  He's had some testosterone therapy for low testosterone levels, but I would like to raise the possibility of him having KS at our next Endocrinologist appointment in a months time, if it's not essential to have the crease,  I'd very much appreciate any feedback.  Thank you   

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

No, next question? cheesygrin

This is what I found on a non wikipedia site:

"A common variant, found in approximately 5% of newborns, a transverse palmar crease is frequently inherited as a familial trait. Although single palmar creases are also associated with Down's syndrome and other genetic disorders, the absence of other abnormalities on physical exam should reassure the examiner that no further evaluation is necessary."

I would describe that as a "simian crease"  simply becasue that's how it was first described to me, and I have 1, on my right hand.   Also when our children were born the midwife checked their palms for a simian crease.  It seems to be a common test for newborns.

There are all sorts if indications of genetic aneuploidy in people, and simian crease is one of them.  How old is your son? Or is he at or beyond puberty?  Why would a doctor or parent suspect low testosterone unless there was a good indication, or even treat with testosterone unless a diagnosis was already made? I mean it's not a very common hormone to treat anybody with, without a diagnosis.

If you send me a Private Message with your email address I can send you a picture of my simian crease, it's a pity we can't post pictures here. sad     

• Posted

My palms are too small at 8 by 9 centimeters, so I don't have the single crease. I have heard about it but never saw one. Are you sure he has 47 chromosomes. Another low testosterone disorder is Kallmann's disorder. But there are several variants within the Klinefelters realm according the US governments ICD 10 classifications(cm98.0).I am not a doctor so has a doctor done a Karyotype on your son. When I had it done years ago, it was a blood test and the mouth cheek cells that determined my diagnosis. Xxy Guy probably has more information than I can give you if you are in the UK. I live in the US. I have listed all.my medical disorders on this website, but not all xxy's have what I have.I would assume I am unique. This term of unique was from another xxy that I had conversations years ago by mail, but since I have more disorders than most people I have used the term unique on this website

• Posted

Well, I have difficulty writing and had problems learning to write, and I have a simian crease, as I said, on my right hand, the hand I write with, so I've been wondering if it's just coincidence?   I've never read anything that suggests it's a problem that causes anything, it's just a feature of some people.  I was told it indicates a genetic problem, just not any specific genetic problem. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.