Confused and worried

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all

Myself and my partner have had on off stomach pains together with alternating bowel movements for about 3 weeks now, one day we ok the next he is ok and I am in pain with alternating movements etc....(both typical symptoms).

GP did a stool test (MC&S test to be precise), they have both come back normal...my issue is I have severe Health Anxiety and can only think that is colon cancer.....my question is, with the stool sample would they have checked for blood or strange cells (i.e. cancer) or would they just be looking for virus, parasites etc...?

Thanks 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm pretty sure they would have checked for any blood presence. I'm sure they would have tested for all the possible reasons that could be causing your symptoms.The best person to ask, quite honestly, is your GP. He would be able to tell you exactly what they looked for, and set your mind at rest. The fact that two of you are experienceing this suggests that it's nothing like colon cancer.

I'd recommend you both start keeping a food diary, listing everything you eat- and that includes what you drink/snacks and so on. Then the next day, record any symptoms and keep doing this for a few weeks- 3 or 4 at least. Then you should be able to identify what you eating the day before ant problems.

Did your partner go for tests, or just you?

• Posted

Hi there

Thanks for your response, I know I should have asked the DR but I thought just looking at my resports it was sent to micro something looking for infection so where they looking for blood I do not know....as far as I am aware it is called a occult test and ours was called a MC&S test...

My partner went too and his results were normal also just like mine....

• Posted

Agree Shazsilverwolf,

Listing items and noticing if there is change in physical condition will give an idea as what food creates problem.

• Posted

I think the key issue here is that you both have symptoms. That pretty much rules out something like cancer. It is far more likely to be something you are both eating. Please don't think I'm being rude, as I don't know a lot about Health Anxiety, but could you possibly be ( unintentionally) mimicking your husbands symptoms?

• Posted

Hello again

Sorry just seen your reply.

Thank you for responding...hey you not being rude at all, I have severe HA but yesterday my poop was yellow and watery.....and my stomach is aching, I am not sure if this is anxiety and all in my head and as you say I could unintentianally mimicking his symptoms, I will be going back to the GP tomorrow as I really think I need a colonoscopy now, I know I will not be referred as I have been about 10 times to the dr in the last 2 months for another issue (my throat and stomach issues). I have had chest xray, bloods in March, ENT with scope and Gastro with scope in my stomach as I thought I had lung cancer, throat and stomach, tests were normal.

• Posted

Hi Kay, so glad I didn't offend you. It does sound as though a lot of it could be anxiety, but going back to your GP has to be the best option. You need to have your mind put at rest, and he has the notes and info to do that for you. One thing that may help- does your Health Aurthority have any ability to refer you for hypnotherapy/ some alternative treatment for the anxiety? I've heard  a lot of good reports from people regarding hynotherapy/massage etc for help when anxious.

• Posted

Hi again

Thanks for the reply

I have been referred or actually referred myself for CBT but not attended as yet due to the time that these meetings are on...I work full time till 6pm and cannot be off all the time with the meetings but I will try and work around it....

I still do not believe that Health Anxiety can cause these issues though

• Posted

Hi again

cannot take this anxiety anymore, dr has prescribed me colofac and anti diarrhea tablets, only take a dose of each twice on Monday and none yesterday or day so now I cannot go....is this normal?

I have a private colonoscopy booked for Friday at 2.30pm I might faint before I get in there...........

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.