Valuim withdrawal

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi my name is Cody I have been in valuim

For the last 25 or so years . About six weeks ago I deceided to stop . I would take about 50 or 60 milligrams when I would go to the dentist for anxiety. Then nothing for a few days . If I had to go out to eat I would take either 20 to 40 milligrams . Then nothing again for a couple of days . This went on for all these years . The highest amount I have taken at one is about 80 milligrams all at once I never spaced the dosage out no matter how many I took..now I have not taken any any iam having terrible tremors feeling ice cold so I took 10 milligrams. Should I just start to taper off your taking my usual dose of 30 milligrams at once ? And go from there now I am having trouble sleeping . My Dr is not interested at all iam alone just me and my wife by the way iam 66 yrs old any info or help us greatly appreciated. Thank you

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hello Cody.  Make your GP interested!  If you have decided not to use the drug anymore it is vital that you are placed on a proper withdrawal programme to taper off of them correctly - especially for us older members of the public!  IF your GP has been the person prescribing this medication to you then he/she have a Duty of Care to you to ensure that you are using medication safely and when it's time to stop, that you are being monitored properly.

• Posted

Thank you Pat 03261. I will try to talk to him again he just stated on my last visit if I want to stop he will not prescribe anymore for me till 3months . All he said was if I currently take 30 mg every couple of days cut down to 25 mg every couple of days . I had such tremors yesterday and I was ice cold I thought I would die . I hope it stops

Thank you for your reply and help .

Much peace and love to you

• Posted

Your doctor is wrong/mad/misinformed.

Google The Ashton Method, print it out and take it to show him!

He's trying to help but clearly hasn't a clue.

Love Tess xx

• Posted

Much and peace and love to you too, Cody 724. The tremors and coldness (could also be sweating and a host of other horrid symptoms) is your body needing what it has become a bit too used too...that's why your GP must begin a tailored programme for you.  The print out from the Ashon manual is also excellent and perhaps a good thing to hand to your GP, even though they surly must be familiar with its content given the amount of folk having used, or are using and then having problems coming off of Diazepam.  Try not to feel.uncomfortable or "guilty"...GPs used to prescribe this drug quite freely for a host of problems. It now has bad press and valid research to show its true down side...we wouldn't have been aware of these issues, as patients, until it was too late to simply stop using them. Perhaps some GPs ..and I think most are...aware of those downsides now and that's why they are careful with first or follow up prescriptions...some of the older GPS though do perhaps need a bit of a prod to,let them know how awful people really do as they try to stop using it.  Not your fault!  Xx

• Posted

Thank you so much pat 03161i have since printed up the Ashton taper system . I hope I get thru a day of no cold sweets or tremors . Very scary . Thank you for the added information much appreciated and will bring yo my dr . Peace and love

Cody

• Posted

Thank you Tess I have since printed it up and will show it to him thank you for your support . I really appreciate all the help hoping I will not get any tremors today .

Much love to you also Tess

• Posted

Yes, definitely taper off - slowly. I was like you and decided to stop in January.

Doctor put me on 30mg daily for three months, then we started tapering it down, 2mg a fortnight. I am currently on 18mg daily and heading downwards.

Don't go cold turkey!!!

Good luck and love from Tess xx

• Posted

Dear Tess

That is great news for you keep up the great work .much congratulations on beating these evil pills .thank you for your kind and encouraging words yes willful this slowly now .

Love

Cody

• Posted

I absolutely agree with Tess on all points. Her taper was perfect. I came off lorazepam and it took me four months, but had no bad moments.
    • Posted

Thank you Cia42277

Hoping we are doing this right.i get so sleepy if I go back to taking my valuim is this normal would you think ?

Cody

• Posted

Tess, this is a question for you. Cody, I only know about drugs I have dealt with. Tess is the one with the real experience. If you follow her advice to a tee, you wil lbe  fine. If she doesn't see this, please ask her that question directly. Cody.you have a huge team here cheering for you.....and you have.....Tess!!

• Posted

Cia 42277

Thank you so much for your kind words and encougement . Iam so blessed to have found this page . Yes I did hear from Tess she is amazing but so are you.

Thank you again for your support

God Bless you

Cody

• Posted

Anytime, dear Cody, anytime.

I feel the same way about finding this forum, finding Tess, and finding you, my friend.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.