Cold turkey on Prozac?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I have been on Prozac for 2 weeks the first week was 10mg and the second week 20mg. I only have minor anxiety and truly want to come off of it cold turkey. Would I be hit hard with withdrawals or I should be find since I haven't been taking it that long and a low dosage ? Asking my psychiatrist is a no go because he wants to up my dosage already and I don't want to be on this all my life when my issue isn't severe. Need all the help I can get. Thank you !

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi I stopped prozac 20mg after 11 days cold turkey. My side effects were so bad I felt better and didn't notice any withdrawal. My doc said it was ok to just stop after 11 days on 20mg so I am sure u would be fine.

• Posted

Thanks so much ! I was researching and saw many people had the worst withdrawals ever and I was nervous I'll have that as well but then again I haven't been taking it for so long.

• Posted

Hi I thought i was gonna turn weird once i started taking 'antidepressants'. I thought id be one of the strange mental peop u see on the bus. How wrong was i ....flureoxtine or prozac was best thing that ever happened to me. It doesnt do anything but allow ur own natural chemicals to build up back to normal level in your head. Just serotonin. In my experience when peops are functioning 'normal' they dont really notice anxiety which concerns them. If you are noticing it a tiny bit,enough to go to the doctor, then u prob could do with prozac and its likely having a negative effect on u. Even the 20mg starter dose is a help. Give it 4 to 6 weeks for any little side effects to go. I sleep my way through it if i can or take it easy. after this period you should start to notice things that were very difficult, become, so easy you forget that it was an issue. I write a list of things i want to do or things that i find difficult or anxiety loaded. Make a note in ur diary in 3 mths to review the list. Youll see the progress youve made without even realising. If you havent had lots of progress then you can up dose or withdraw gradually over 2 mths or so. You will know when. That doc studied for years to be able to help and advise you...let him use his brain. u are paying for it and u deserve to feel comfortable and relaxed in your life now. Good luck xxxx

Ps. The weird peop on the bus are probably the ones who dont think they have a problem smile

• Posted

Hi

Can I ask why you want to come off them?

You've only been on these meds a short time, so doubt you'd have much withdrawal symptoms ..... but, to be sure I think it would be wise to do it gradually anyway, because if withdrawal does hit you it could be quite unpleasant.  I'd suggest dropping back to 10mg again for a week, then halve it again to 5mg (with the help of a pill cutter) and then stop.

You wouldn't have to take these all your life anyway - as soon as people have recovered from anxiety / depression or whatever, they wean off and stop.  Some choose to stay on for many, many years and are fine.  People take lifelong meds for all sorts of ailments - diabetes, epilepsy, blood pressure ... and these meds are no different ... they're meds just as any other and are there for a purpose.

But do come off them slower - its best to be safe than sorry.  Its a good idea to also see your doctor to let him know you want to come off them.

Hope it goes well.

K xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.