Inguinal hernia surgery recovery - pulled muscles, or something worse?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm 18 years old, and had open mesh surgery on a right inguinal hernia 4 days ago. I have practically no pain where the incision was made and it's already healed over (just a trail of dried blood by the looks of it). I'm back to walking around fairly normally, but I have a real pain in my right side just above my hip whenever I stand up or sit down. I'm off the painkillers and only taking paracetamol ay the moment - I find they help a little bit.

Is this pain likely to be some sort of pulled muscle in the area, or is there something else that could be causing it?

Thanks in advance,

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The first two weeks are kinda rough. You'll get episodes where you'll think you tore the hernia again, and that's pretty normal. They'll get less and less frequent. For the next two months ( at least) you'll have to be carefull and aware of that surgery because it'll take six months before the mesh tissue has fully grown in, and that can have some complications.(like nerve impingement) Hopefully not. Each day gets better. Good luck with it.

• Posted

Hi. I think the mesh is firmly sewn in. I reacted badly to the anaesthetic and was retching and vomiting quite a bit for a day or two after surgery. I was worried of course that I would damage something, but haven't had a problem. Surgery was 20 months ago, (open.) 

• Posted

Just had inguinal surgery. Not a fun one by far.

Much that was repaired and totally black from bruising on lower extremities. Took me a week to not have help getting up. Will be 2 weeks tomor and each day is better. There have been times when it has felt and hurt like a muscle pulled along w pains but they seem to cease so far.

Had other surgeries in the past but I do believe this has been a tough one. Plus surgeon said he had never seen one quite like minerolleyes so I'm hoping and praying things will heal fine. So far not bad but ready to be back to normal but it might take a while from what I've read. You are young and I think that makes a huge difference in healing ...

Be thankfulsmile also u should prob have a return apt that you can have dr ck it out. If it is unbearable and meds aren't helping I would definitely call for an observation...

That's what they explained to me. Good luck and hope your pain does improve quicklysmile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.