Young Male osteopenia

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, my name is Cesar and I was just diagnosed with osteopenia. The odd thing is, I'm a 35 y/o otherwise healthy male. I've always had back pain/ache but just muscled through it. When I would go to the doc, they pretty much just gave me Motrin. Anyway, I had a dexa scan and my results weren't good--especially, for my age and gender.

BMD of the LUMBAR SPINE is: 0.991 g/cm2 T score: -2.0 Z score: -2.0

BMD of the LEFT FEMORAL NECK is: 0.936 g/cm2 T score: -1.1 Z score: -1.0

BMD of the RIGHT FEMORAL NECK is: 0.942 g/cm2 T score: -1.1 Z score: -1.0

I don't really know what this all means, other than what I found on the internet (osteopenia). My doctor says it's reversible, but again, what I found in my research says otherwise. My testosterone levels, I think are on the low end, but my doc says they are normal. I have an appointment with endocrinology next month, so I'm hoping they'll have some answers. My vitamin D levels were low (24 ng/ml) so I was prescribed a really aggressive 50,000 IUs per/wk. I really don't know what I should do, or who I should see--I guess I'm just looking for some advice from the community. Thanks. Cesar

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Take the vitamin D because that may very well be the cause of your disappointing result. Add vitamin K2 along with calcium to get the best out of the calcium. Magnesium and zinc are good to add as well. Eat avocados, kiwi fruit, skin of cucumbers, and prunes,

Another good thing to have is bone soup. Eat plenty of vegetables and fruit.

weight bearing exercise is recommended as well.

you can fix this...all the best!

• Posted

Make sure the endocrinologist runs a complete blood panel in order to rule out that the condition isn't due to parathyroid or thyroid issues. If a secondary cause such as that is found, it would need to be addressed in order for the osteopenia to improve (i.e., decrease). The very high dose of Vitamin D (50,000 IU) was also recommended to me when I was found to have a Vitamin D deficiency. Though I decided to take a lower dose, the higher dose is, I believe, standard for cases of deficiency, at least for a period of time, until the levels improve. Was the recommendation for 50,000/day? Or per week?

• Posted

Both Kathleen and Allison have given you very good advice.  I agree, at your age you should have more investigation done to determine the cause.  In fact this is recommended for all of us, no matter our age or gender, because unless we address the cause it's hard to make progress to reverse the situation.  I was diagnosed at the age of 35 with non-symptomatic sarcoidosis.  It wasn't until I had to start taking prednisone thirty years later for a different auto immune inflammatory disease I found I had a high calcium level, did some reading, and found that sarcoidosis can cause low iron, bone thinning and high vitamin D - all of which I have.  I just give this as an example, that some of the causes can be a bit obscure.  At least your doctor should try to rule out the obvious ones!

On the up side, osteopenia does not necessarily lead to osteoporosis, especially if you do the right nutrition and exercise thing, and the scans cannot tell you how strong your bones are.  Are you a relatively slender person?

All the best - do let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Sorry, not high calcium level, high vitamin D.  Oh for an edit button!
  • Posted

Thank you all for the advice!!  Kathleen, your positivity put a smile on my face smile Any favorite bone soup recipes?  I can pull one from the internet but I’ll definitely take your suggestions.  Allison, you’re right.  I think there is a secondary cause for this.  I’ve had a thyroid test done (0.6 mcIU/ml).  They say that’s within the normal range but when I do my own research I find that it’s a bit on the low end (reference .35-5.0).  Again, I’m still looking into it so I really don’t know what that means yet.  I’m still waiting on the results from the parathyroid test and a Rheumatoid arthritis test.  When I get the results, I’ll definitely let you all know.  Anhaga, I’m relatively normal build.  165lbs, 5’9’’, I run about 10 miles a week and weight lift 3-4 times a week.  My diet could be better, but I never really gave it much thought since I’m an active person.  I mean, I just went surfing this past weekend.  Anyway, I’ve always had lower back pain—just a dull ache, especially when I run.  It’s been going on for years so I just put it out of my mind and press on with my day.  Looking back, I wish I would have made a bigger fuss about it, maybe the doctors could have found this sooner.  Assuming they find and correct any secondary cause I may have; have you heard of people being able to increase\improve their bone density?  Thank you again.

• Posted

YESexclaim  There are studies which show that bone density can be increased through completely natural means, i.e. through nutrition and exercise.  I will send you some references by private message.

• Posted

Hopefully the vitamin D alone is the cause of this happening to you.

Bone soup is easy to make. Use left over roast bone or buy bones especially for the soup. We put in pearl barley for a start with the bones. Add salt and pepper. After an hour or two on low heat add vegetables. Just whatever you have but a nice variety is good. The longer the soup is on the better. We have a slow cooker so half a day for us.

• Posted

Just reading that bone broth has little calcium but may be very rich in other nutrients which encourage bone health.  As a vegetarian this option is out for me.
    • Posted

Ok Anhaga! You have many other ways that you know to do this then.
    • Posted

Next scan in October, so we'll see how it's been going.  I also have got my prednisone dose down to 3 mg and PMR still in check, so that's good!

• Posted

It will be interesting to see if your diet and exercises along with vitamin supplements have impacted your t score.

Glad your PMR is in check and prednisone has been reduced.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.