Stage 1 COPD,I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS.....DEPRESSED,ANGRY,REGRETS, n Jus feeling like I want more a

Posted , 8 users are following.

I need to get more answers to understand COPD N The Stages n what's going to happen starting w Stage 2 ,What happens from here? Does anybody regret smoking n Does Menthol cig make it worse! Is menthol cigs crystalize The lungs? I'm jus curious to know what's going to happen in each stage?

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Charlene

The diagnosis feels completely overwhelming at first. Many folks on here say that this is a wake-up call to start living differently: learn breathing exercises, use whatever the doc gave you, exercise as much as you can every day that you can, and maybe improve diet/eating habits. If you are so lucky as to be on the UK, you may have access to some pulmonary rehab - use it.

I can't help you about the stages. I assume I'm still in the 1st but then today, boom! I've got pneumonia for the first time. I had no clue, just thought I was coughing more from stuff in the air. Didn't have to be hospitalized, which is good. The most irksome thing is how many pneumonia vaccinations I've had.

As to smoking, I continued to smoke after my diagnosis. Then I quit 4 yrs, then smoked 4, then quit for good in '07. Of course I regret it but I also am glad that I enjoyed all those cigs. That's not the case for everyone and I can understand how awful it must feel to have COPD and not have enjoyed the last however many yrs of smoking.

We are here for you, never forget that. We understand the emotional and psychic cost, the physical aspects and the anger.

Aitarg

• Posted

Ty n I definitely miss cigs even as of today,I smoked menthols and they were so calming,I'm on a depression pill because I also have Osteoarthritis n Osteoporosis n my bones beneath my knees r detoriating,n YES fall once in a while when walking,so I can't walk very well either.Diabetes hit me after I lost 150 pds then I'm exercising n have pain in my rt arm n pow! It's turns out I have a torn rotate cuff,that doesn't stop me ,I started again ,n I started having pain my other arm,yeah it's tendonvyitis n tendonitis, n still I start again exercising again,....This time I FALL,THEN FALLS..... they do a scan on my waist down to find out why I'm falling....ITS THE O'S......! EVERY TIME I do anything to improve myself something happens! So yes it's very disappointing n depressing to me! Anyways I believe in GOD n I believe in prayers n I believe in Miracles but now I'm really tired, of trying to do better....I quit smoking, because I wanted to healthy after they said....Quit smoking or u will die,They never told me right then I had COPD until 3 months later,I had a hard time breathing n went to the hospital n they say ,I had pneumonia! So one thing after another as they say.....Here I am! I forget did u have COPD?

• Posted

Yes, I have COPD. You're having a rough road with your health, no doubt about that. I congratulate you on having lost 150 lbs! I managed to lose 18 in the last year, need to lose another 25 - 40 but have been stuck for the last 3 months. I too have both of the I'd you mentioned though I think I'm more ambulatory than you are.

It is hard sometimes to hang onto our faith in the face of so much. Sometimes I yell at God, He can take it. Not about the COPD, that one's all on me and some environmental factors from conception til I was 20. But when I get down I have been known to vocalize.

On the COPD I have been very lucky for 20 years. Given what's happened to you on exercising I'll refrain from suggesting more.

• Posted

I still excercise, I jus do mostly stretches, slow knee bends,Squats while holding bed posts, n Walk w my husband n a cane! I'm too young to go through this ....I feel....But u know there's worse then ngs we could all b going alot more! It does anger me but again ...I have my pity party..! I used to have higher cholesterol n BP n that calm down cause I drink Apple Cider Vinegar w cinnamon, honey,pinch of vanilla,lemon n water,2hours Before bedtime everynight! It eats away at fat ,lowers cholesterol n bp.I'm stoll working on bettering myself even though ,w COPD u only have 5 years EXPECTANCY maybe,If we take care of our lungs in COPD....Is that what u heard?

• Posted

I still can't believe I was that dumb in the first place to smoke! Nobody will listen to me about smoking ,No more than I did,till it was too late!

• Posted

It took me 2 years w lots of hard! NO PILLS,NO SURGERIES,N JUS HARD EXCERCISING! FROM SIZE 52IN TO 46 SO FAR STILL IN PROGRESS! STARTED AT 400PDS N STILL IN PROGRESS!
    • Posted

One of my friends mother lived for 20 years with COPD. The last several years on oxygen 24/7. Just wanted to let u know the statistics aren't always right! ??

• Posted

But.. She quit smoking the day she was diagnosed.
  • Posted

Hi Charlene

I was diagnosed with moderate copd that is stage 2 5 weeks ago . I quit smoking 4 weeks ago . My symptoms are I am very wheezy and I get a lot of chest infections but on a good note I haven't had one since March. I was angry with myself for smoking, I was devastated when I found out but least I had answeres. I have just trained as a teaching assistant and I work outside during lunchtime but I think that is going to have to change because when I get a cold it goes straight to my chest most of the time, I hope this has helped all the best heidi

• Posted

My last chest infection lasted 3 weeks I went to doctors because I was struggling to catch my breath after 2 lots of antibiotics it finally cleared but it wasn't till June that I had my spirometry test done and then on 1st July I got my results. I get short of breath wheezy and recurring chest infections. In the research I have done on copd giving up smoking is you best chance to hopefully slow down the progression of the disease as well as regular exercise to get your heart rate up and make your lungs stronger I also have an inhaler it's just a normal blue one its just a releaver as well as flu jab

• Posted

I have 3 INHALERS n a nebulizer! 2 puffs every 3 hours n a use the nebulizer 2xs daily,N then I have A CPAP! Used every night!
    • Posted

I was diagnosed with moderate emphysema 10 years ago after smoking for 20 years I haven't smoked in 8 years.. I used to cough all the time but after I quit smoking I no longer cough.I do have shortness of breath if I do much of anything and I tire very easily but I'm also severely overweight so I'm not sure I'd my symptoms are from emphysema or from overweight.I recently took a basic lung function test and it was.normal. but it wasn't the extensive one like the one used 10 years ago when I was diagnosed with moderate emphysema.when I read online about symptoms a chronic cough seems to be a main symptom of emphysema but I have no cough at all. My only symptoms are shortness of breath and fatigue. Sometimes I wonder if it's possible I got a misdiagnosis 10 years ago.I don't know

• Posted

Hi who says you only have 5 years with copd?   No one can predict how long any of us will live and unless you were diagnosed at the very severe stage then you have much longer than 5 years.  Don't ask Dr Google as you will go from a headache to dead in 3 clicks!  

It's not so much the stage of the copd but how it affects you.  Someone can be in stage 1 and have a harder time of it than someone in stage 2 as we are all different.  There are too many variables.  All you can do is try and stay as healthy as possible and deal with any exacerbations straight away (these can further damage your lungs) and cross your fingers.  

I was diagnosed as mild 8 years ago and still have the same lung function I had then,  so haven't progressed at all.   My doctor told me not to worry about it as something else would get me first ie old age.  x

• Posted

Wiser words never spoken, Hypercat. May I steal your "don't ask Dr. Google as you will go from a headache to dead in 3 weeks."

• Posted

Course you can love.  I nicked it from someone else smile  x

• Posted

Actually it's 3 clicks not 3 weeks!  smile  x

• Posted

How old were you when you were diagnosed if you don't mind me asking

I am a very motivated person, even though I was upset when the doctor told me, I quickly lifted myself up I have young children to think about and I will do what ever it takes to stay as healthy as I can. I hope I've got 30years or as you said die of something completely different old age

• Posted

My lung Dr.Said...Expectancies is 5 years n that depends on how u care for urself,And he I could lose alot of weight as the it progressives! So beware of that...I have had COPD W EPHESEMA FOR 10 YEARS, 2 WEEK AGO,HE HAD THE FEV1 TEST DONE ON ME...ITS 57%NOW...STAGE 2!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.