shay87672

Unfollow this discussion

shay87672

?1 shay87672

32 points

anal fissure surgery - help!

Posted 15 minutes ago

hey guys.

i just had my anal fissure surgery last friday and after the surgery i just went home because the longer i stay in the hospital the higher the bill might get as i didnt subscribed for any medical insurance. so...

i'm just wondering on my condition after the surgery since i would only meet the doctor this friday for the follow up treatment.

my first bowel movement was quite okay since it eliminated the cotton*on saturday*. and the same goes for my second bowel movement in sunday. the pain was bearable during that time, the blood was only a bit on the poop and that was it.

however for my third bowel movement that happened yesterday it was too painful. during the bm it was quite ok.. after that... i cat even sit or walk for 5 hours.

as for today. in the morning i soaked my butt* is this even the right term???excuse my english* for 10 minutes and i could feel something coming out from the hole. and until now it didnt really go away.

so im asking is this normal? and how long does it takes to fully recover and what should i do in this recovery process?

im really worried as im going back to school soon and if this is going to continues it might distract my focus.

Thank you so much.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Shay

i have done my surgery about 3 weeks ago. I have the same feeling of needing to poop but nothing comes out. My relative has done and got the same feeling too. I guess it's normal. The most important thing is that you should not push it. Don't force it to come out b/c sometimes it's delusional and nothing is really there. 

• Posted

hii aliaa. so are you okay now? now i think my bottom is having watery fluid leakage. cant wait to meet my dr and ask him whats really happening to me ;(
    • Posted

This is what Is happening to me these days. At the begining I was heavely constipated then it turns watery after taking a lot of lax.  So I have been asking people here and they told me to get a stool softener instead of a laxative. The lax is what turns it watery and keeps burning me. I met my dr yesterday and he prescribed me lactulose 2 spoons a day and told me to stop using the lax. If it becomes too watery, I got to stick to 1 spoon. I am gonna see its results today. Try to call your dr and consult him about your case. Tell me how you are managing then.
  • Posted

guyssss it's normal to have watery fluid leakage in my bottom?

• Posted

Hi Shay,

I am 2 days away from being 3 weeks post-op of sphincterotomy surgery. Each day gets better so hang in there. I too, sit in the tub of water (sitz bath) after a movement and yes this will relax the sphincter to were u feel or even might have a movement. make sure to keep your stools soft with eating high fiber foods and I take stool softeners. I added Metamucil so I was able to cut down on the amount of stool softeners I take. After a bowel movement it is hard for me to sit without a donut cushion. I was told it gets better and I know the sphincter has to heal. The pain is so much better I don't have the sharp glass like pain any longer so for that I am grateful. I have been dealing with this a short time (June 24) compared to other people in the forum. Also, drink plenty of water don't eat red meat it's hard to digest. Take 1 day at a time and know it will get better.

Hope this helps.

Good luck to you!

Michele.

• Posted

Hello fear shy.i answered yoy in another discussion.i think you should see your surgen.mine was something around the anus not in the anus.i hope it's nothing important but see your surgen please

• Posted

hey wink yeah i saw that comment and also replied there. thanks biggrin

• Posted

That being said, I am attaching a post that I put on somebody else blog. In this post, I was recommending to the person to get the surgery, as well as other methods to try to try to ease your pain. I hope this helps you out and never give up. :

I would definately get it done, especially if you have dealt with it for a whole year. I had a chronic fissure, and after a month, decided to have the surgery. It was the best decision of my life. I am not going to lie to you, it is a bit painful right after surgery but if you can endure the pain of a fissure, it is not that much different. I posted this before....this basicallly explains how i felt throughout the surgery and after.

I first want to give you a lot of credit for deciding to do the surgery...It is not an easy desicion, as there are some stories online that can discourage you from getting it, but in the end in my opinion it it better. 

So basically, this is how it went down with my surgery. I had to fast the day before the surgery because they had to put me under anesthesia. I went in, waited, and then they put me under and the surgery was done. I woke from the surgery with morphine in my system, although once I woke up it had worn off for the most part. They basically told me I could get another dose of morphine, which would basically knock me out again, or I could stay up and move to the other room to wait until I was ready to leave. So, i skipped the next dose of morphine and went to the other room. As I was laying on the bed, the pain bagan to set in. The next part may scare you a bit and discourage you, but getting through this part is just part of the process of gettting better. So when the pain started to settle in, the paiin almost flt worse then the fissure pain itself. I was not only dealing with the pain from the fissure, but from the incision and cuts that were done form the surgery itself. This being said, you have to take into consideratino that the surgery is cutting into your sphincter muscle, so pain will come, but this is with any surgery. Unfortunately, with this surgery, it is in a very sensitivie area so the pain will be a little more intense. Some things I did in the hospital to deal with the pain was put ice on my butt, I bit down on a washcloth to decrease the tension that I would put into my butt area and to transfer the tension to my jaw biting into the cloth. They did give me percoset, but honestly it didn't help me a bit. I still felt the pain until I was able to fall asleep. The lady next to me said that the percoset made her feel that the ceiling was the floor and the floor was the ceiling, so I guess it affects some people differently than others. I also will recommend listening to music right after or watching a movie to distract yourself from the pain. SO that was basically it from the hospital. I couldn't leave the hospital until I could pee though,  which was not easy since I had so many drugs in my system and could  not really push to hard as it was painful and I did not want to upset the area.

Eventually I peed and was able to leave. Then, I took some percoset that night and slept. The next day I felt no pain, as I did not poop at all, and as with before the surgery,  the pain  only comes when  you poop. 

So the day after that I had to go to the bathroom. The first time you go to the bathroom will be very painful, almost more painful than pooping with just the fissure because you are trying to poop through a fissure and a surgery, but that comes with  the territory. I will not hide that I felt like I was going to puke the pain was so bad WHILE pooping. I also recommend listening to music while pooping as this distracts the pain  and gives some motivation  not to be afraid. The reason on put emphasis on the WHILE is beause after the pain is very dull and nothing compared to the throbbing unimaginable  pain of an anal fissure. Within  the next two weeks, I progressively felt myself getting better, and by the 2nd week I went back to the doctor and he gave me the ok that I was all healed up.

I never had any incontinence, although the only thing I still have is that its a bit harder to hold in my farts sometimes, but that is it....As far as the gauze, I only changed it because I would leak sometimes..I ended up just buying adult diapers at the store and used those until I stopped leaking. 

As far as numbing injectino you asked about, the only  thing I was aware of was the anastesia I was on.

As far as food after surgery, I just kept to a well balanced diet. I take metamucil fiber supplement every day since, and I squat on the toilet all the time now. Make sure not to take too much fiber as this can irritate the area.

Hope this was enough information for you, and I really wish you the best of luck with  your surgery next week.....Noone should  have to go thorugh anything like this, but thank god we have means to take care of it with surgery....

Also, this is another post i put that explains some things that you might want to try in addition to the surgery....

I first want to say how sorry I am, and how much we al are that you have to go thorugh this. We have all been through the same type of pain, and can sympathise with your situation. A lot of the problem with an anal fissure is its not jsut a physical problem, but a mental problem as well. Thinking it is getting better and then to be in writihing pain the next day to through your hopes down the drain ruins your day and your hope of getting better. However, since we have all been there, we can probably agree that despite all of the downfalls that can occur, you will get better given time, rest, and proper treatment. 

Here are some suggestions I have for you to help you through:

1. Try somee zinc oxide in the form of calmoseptine which has menthol to soothe the area down there as well. Calmoseptine can be bought at almost any local drugstore and can be bought online too.

2. Try squatting when going on the toilet instead of sitting. This is a much  helathier position and the poop sometimes will just slide out,  no pushing or straining involved.

3. I would definately take a fiber supplement, specifically metamucil  is what I take evveryday,  in ordr to allow your stools to be soft and to allow them to pass thorugh easily. THis being said, with any fiber supplemetn, you must drink lots of water when using them, or they will not work veffectively. Also, do not take too much as too much fiber can irritate your bowels on the way  out and diarreah actually does worse down there.

4.Try listening to music to distract your mind a bit, especially when going to the bathroom. If you are in writing pain, distract yourself with a movie or TV show right after. Also, to prevent myself from screaming and from putting more stress in the area down  there, i bit down on a washcloth in order to make the tensions with my teeth instead of my sphicter muscle.

Good Luck!!!

Sincerely,

Myles 

• Posted

thank you a lot marcus for sharing those tips. i'm definitely in the same situation as what you had been through. the pain starts whenever it involves the bowel movement. but for the past few days, i have been taking pain killer just to reduce the pain and it works it didnt hurt so much as before. but when im not taking it... the pain is too unbearable just like the days before the surgery itself.

anyway thank you so much smile i really appreciate it.

*now im waiting to meet my doctor and definitely would ask a lot of questions regarding this* smile

• Posted

No problem. Glad I can help other people by sharing my experience.

As far as the pain medication, the more pain meds you take, the more constipated you will get soo be sure to take fiber and drink LOTS OF WATER when you do as taking fiber with a lot of water will allow the fiber to absorb the water and allow you to have nice pleasant stools.

Be careful not to take to much fiber though as watery stools cause as much pain as constipation due to the acidity of them..

Good luck!

Hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

I had the operation last week for Fissure but also had a infection that had to be removed as well (Abcess). My problem is the burning sensation after BM. Is there relief with some kind of ointment for this. I doubt I can do sitz baths at work when I go back
    • Posted

You might want to try this cream called Calmoseptine. It's zinc oxide with menthol in it for a cooling effect. Hope that helps!

• Posted

Worked well last night. This am had a BM and came out with ease but the incredible burning pain after made me go right to sitz bath, I hope this goes away. Today is one week since the surgery. I think I should be improving by now. No?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.