Methadone Maintenance

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been on MM program since 2012 and I'm currently taking 95 mg the last time I tried to come off it I had terrible withdrawals and ended up going back on it.  I've been told that if you do a slow taper like 5 mg every two weeks that the withdrawals are not as bad.  Has anyone successfully come off Methadone and are now clean of any opiates?  I'd like to hear from you!rolleyes

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chris, post your question on the "Friends of the UK Recovery Group" on Facebook, you'll find lots of people with experience of this on there.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Chris, I'm not a user of anything but my partner is on a methadone program, I've been with him through many detoxes and I can say the worst withdrawals was from when he stopped at 60ml. It's not a great ide to detox off such a high dose cuz he just went out and used heroin cuz of the pain. When he did his first withdrawal he tappered down to 15ml which was much better for him. We found it was the leg cramps that was the worst for him, with loads of trial and error we found deep heat and binding the legs with a tight bandage eased it significantly, that and zinc. I know it's prob not much help as I don't know what it's like but from seeing my partner beg for his life I tried absolutely anything I read. Good luck I really do hope u do it.

• Posted

You can do this....my son was on a real heavy dose of Methadone when he was put in prison where they detoxed him very quickly.

His detox was horrendous and he lived thru it.  If you really want to be drug free...you can.  

I have an alcohol problem and I know I can be alcohol free...if I work on it.

• Posted

I have been opiate free for many years. Detox from methadone ain't easy but remember it's not a race. 2.5mg every month and you really won't feel any withdrawals.

For me it was in rehab and I detoxed 10mg per day from 120mg.

It's not the coming off that is difficult it's the staying off. You need to surround yourself with people who are supportive and also people who are clean.

• Posted

Hi Chris,

I first want to say that i know exactly what you're going through and can totally sympathise with you mate.

Although I have not come off methadone yet or before I can tell you it is very hard and it's not something that can or should be done quickly.

Everyone goes through the methadone experience differently but I think you should cut down around 2mg every say month but really you do this at your own pace. Being comfortable is key. You don't want to relapse.

I know that when you get to a low enough dose your dr can put you on suboxone to make it even easier.

I don't think we can get away with not hurting at all. You are going to hurt one way or another the main thing is is to keep the pain and suffering at a minimum. Tapering down the right way is the best way. And the right way for each person is different.

Take your time and make sure you have a good GP who knows what they're doing with the program.

Good luck my friend

• Posted

Try this do 1mg a week and I am 100 psrcent positive that you will go through vedy small withdraws very small

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.