Anybody else had a bad reaction to Tramadol?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was prescribed Tramadol for chronic pain, I chose to take one tablet each time instead of 2.  After taking 5 tablets across 2 days I started to feel very strange, I was confused, emotional, coudn't think straight.  I contacted out of hours who arranged for me to see a GP.  Unfortunately before I got to the GP I suffered stroke like symptoms eg face drooped, speech slurred, eyes shut and wouldn't open, left arm drooped.  My husband called an ambulance etc.  After an MRI and seeing both a stroke consultant and neurologist consultant it was agreed that what happened was a bad reaction to Tramadol and not a stroke.  These symptoms aren't described in the leaflet.  Since then (7 weeks ago) I am suffering with chronic fatigue and I walk sideways after 3 or 4 steps.  The Neurologist has told me this is due to the stress/trauma of what my body went through caused by the Tramadol and he doesn't know how long it will be until I recover.  Just wondering if anybody else has suffered something similar and how long it took them to recover. Thanks

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Could've been Seretonin syndrome.

Don't take them anymore, they're terrible.

• Posted

I'll google that, thanks.  

I'll never be taking them again in my lifetime, I can't believe how badly it's affected me sad  Never thought taking a painkiller, albeit a strong one, would do this to me.  

Thanks for responding.

• Posted

I hear ya! They're a pain killer and antidepressant all in one. They gave me a grand mal seizure when I took them and I had withdrawals for months from the pain killing part and AD part... MISERABLE!! Meds effect everyone differently, and unfortunately you got some of the worst side effects from tramadevil rolleyes I hope you start to feel better!!!

• Posted

Tramadevil, love it!  I'll be calling it that from now on!  

I can't wait to start feeling better.  I couldn't find anything online that somebody had those sort of symptoms so I'm kinda glad I'm not alone but hate that anybody else has been through something similar sad  Glad to hear you're better!

• Posted

Hi there sorry to here that happening too you I've been taken tramadol for 2-3 years and have started having seizures bc of them. Tramadol has taken over my life i hate them but cant stop there so addictive. 😢 it really is a evil drug my gp gave me them for back pain and culdnt stop taken them once the pain stopped wish i new then what i no now 😯

• Posted

They really are evil, I can't believe they're prescribed so easily when they can cause so much damage to people. I read a lot about people being addicted to them sad Can't your GP help you get off them and give something else for the pain? They should hold responsibility as they prescribed in first place!

• Posted

Not gona lie a dont even take them for tge pain anymore bc when the back pain went away it was to late i was hooked started taken these other pain killers instead but got hooked to them instead. I just cant stand the thought of goin into withdrawal as its the worst feeling in the world and I've gave birth 😰 my GP dosnt no much or how to deal with addictions so she reffered me to a drug councillor but they seem to be taken there time gettin in contact with me :-( its pathetic im sitting here drowning while they take there time to help me. I think i will beat this with there help this time as I've been dealing with this addicion on my own 😢im cutting down now as of today tho. Xox

• Posted

Oh bless ya. I know what you mean, everyone is so slow in coming forward to help. I made a pest of myself and kept ringing to chase. There might be a local charity that will help in the meantime if you google in your area. You've taken the biggest step in admitting the addiction and seeing your GP about it. Just cut one down (or even half a tablet) at a time and see how you go until you get the support you need. Good luck and feel free to message me on here

• Posted

Hey Sarah hope you are well. Its been 1week since i last spoke to you and i still haven't herd from the councilors i havent cut down this week i failed miserably. Im sitting here feeling ashamed of myself. I need help to beat my demons as going at it alone just isn't working. The shame makes it easier for me to take more to not feel so bad. Im going around in circles fighting myself. Rehab would probably be my best bet but thst would mean telling all my loved ones what I've been doing to myself and i can't do that. How are you getting on.

• Posted

Hi Amanda, there's no shame in admitting you have become addicted to a painkiller that most people become addicted to. I think you would find it helpful to tell your closest family/friends as they will be understanding and probably help you to find the help you need. Chase up the counselling through the GP but also ring FRANK and google other support groups in your area, the Samaritans might also be able to point you in the right direction. I helped my husband through an addiction, it wasn't easy for him or me but he did it with help and support of loved ones. Don't try and do it alone and trust in someone to help you. Annoy the hell out of your GP too until you get help!!!

• Posted

You are rite i dont need to beat this myself i have a loving family and im goin to sit down with them 1st thing in morning as i would like them to keep me motivated n keep me right. I no some folks dont understand addiction but i have family that do understand it and ive been silly kept this to myself for long enough. Im going bk 2 my gp tomorrow and demanding more help i had another frightening episode today and was hospitalized if they had gotten there finger out and helped me when i went to them this mite never of happend. I can tell you this tho its pushed me forward and ive cut down by half and im goin to do this and save myself. Xox
    • Posted

That's the spirit! You can and will do it. It's not easy but it can be done trust me. Ask your GP for some anxiolytics for the withdrawls. You might need to taper off tramadol depending on your duration using tramadols. If not long term then cold turkey, I cold turkey after 3 years usage and It was a nightmare but it can be done.

What sent you to the hospital? What kind of reactions/symptoms are you getting from the tramadol?

• Posted

Yes i can 💌💌💌

I have starting having seizures this was my second one today. I didnt no who i was where i was anything totally out of it. Im in agony now cant walk as feels like ive been for a marathon with my body shaken. I have my wee one who needs me it was defo a wake up call. I've been on tramadol for 4years n this other one for a 2years. I have been mixing them which is obvs doin even more damage. The diffs chill me out n trams give me energy n both of them give me feelings of othoria (can't spell) thy make me feel so good but i am now having to take a ridiculous amount amount of these tabs to give me these highs. I really need to see this drug councilors for them to give me rite meds n help me taper of them but i am goin to cut down intill a see them best i can 👍💌🙏 xox

• Posted

Sorry to hear about the seizures but I really think you should go to a hospital and tell them you might have serotonin syndrome. And you might need to fully stop tramadol and take something else in the meantime to combat withdrawls. As they will come.

What's the other pill you are taking if you don't mind me asking?

• Posted

Aw really didnt realise thats what that was its gotta be couse its gotta be the tramadol thats doin this to me. I take dihydracodeine too its another opiate strong painkiller they last about 4hours and in that time they give me a relaxed body n mind n feelings of pure happiness. Its not real tho i need to find real happiness without a pill eh its just hard av been depressed n i hate feeling like that and worthless but the difference now tho is i have found happiness n want to get clean i have the most amazing son in the world i need him and he needs me hes my everything 💖💖

• Posted

I'm glad to hear you want to get rid of those urges. You can do it and know that your son if well worth your efforts to get clean! Look into stopping tramadol completely but don't do it on your own go to your GP or hospital as you've been having seizures

• Posted

Ye im just out the hospital had tests n things done n think I've to have more. I will keep u up dated 💌 my GP said shes not sure how to deal with me and referred me to drug councilors but i shuld of herd from them by now so goin bk tomorrow as i need the help now. They left me hanging its not rite. 💖💖

• Posted

Unless you are taking huge doses, combining the dihydrocodeine with your tramadol is probably not the source of your seizures. While tramadol alone can sometimes cause seizures, it's more often a case of mixing it with other substances, some of which you would never suspect. Like St John's wort, for example. SSRI drugs are the most common culprits, but there are many others. Tricyclic antidepressantsmigraine medications (triptans, ergots), and even dextromethorphan (non-narcotic cough medicine) can react badly. Cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril), a commonly-used muscle relaxant, is structurally related to the tricyclic antidepressants and should be avoided.

At this point, you have to look at everything as suspect.

• Posted

Hi Amanda, sorry to hear you were hospitalised but am glad you're going to tell your family as it will really help you! I hope the GP is more useful this time, refuse to leave until they make phone calls chasing counsellor etc! Good luck with tapering off the Tramadevil and let me know how you get on with everything. Sending you lots of love and hugs!! Stay positive smile

• Posted

Hello! How's everything been going so far? Hopefully we'll. I'm recovering fine so far. The depression and lack of energy is the worst.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.