Positive feedback

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just wanted to post something positive.

After having stopped fluoxetine (20 mg) for three years, I reached a point in my life where I was very anxious again. I was prescriped fluoxetin for anxiety some eight years ago. I have taken a news job as a lawyer and was under great pressure. My wife was under stress at work. Raising a small child a the same time was perhaps too much.

I buit the bullet and went to my doc asking for a new prescription. It is kind of humiliating to have to explain to your GP how you are not coping with life, but it is worth it in the end.

The first month was tough. Now I can say that the panic has nealy disapeared and I do feel so much better. I can again sleep at night. I enjoy moments in my life again and have reconnected with myself.

The only side effect I have ( a big one though) is a inability to climax. As I am not a very sexual person it is not so dramatic for me, but it is a clear side effect of the drug.

Otherwise I do really feel better.

I am mot sure I ever want to go off fluoxetin again.

Just my two cents to give hope to ohters.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I was having many problems on flu that's I had to go see my doctor. I was only on it 11 days and it was awful. The first 2 days were OK but then madness started. The 3rd day i became very sick. Extreme nausea to the points of throwing up. I felt constant burning in my throat all day long.

After a few more days Everytime I took flu my throat would feel like someone was choking me. Then the dreams and thoughts started i had a dream I murdered a cut up my family, the next morning I was drivibvy car and I thought "how cool would it feel to run people over with my car".

Called my doctor and he started me on lexapro. I'm only 3 days in but I'm already feeling something from it. No side affects or anything.

Glad it worked for you prozac just didn't help at all. Had the same issues on Zoloft that I did on prozac

• Posted

Hi

How lovely to hear your good news! Hope youre really proud of yourself. Very nice to read.When i managed my depression and anxiety i felt like i should have got a certificate or badge to show everyone what i achieved! I may treat myself to a semicolon tattoo behind my ear on neck. Apparently its a symbol for mental health.

Medication helps but your strength is what keeps the results going. Dont think it weak if you end up in a bad position in future. Its might just mean you missed a few warning signs. I did exactly that this year. I was really enjoying something at work and really pushed myself, had sleepless nights because i was so excited, put being organised in the house on back burner because i couldnt wait to get to work.Being that happy actually caught me out. I hadnt realised housework was being avoided and overwhelming... also missed that the excitement was turning in to overthinking and anxiety. When i tried to sort stuff i realised it was near impossible smile but few mth of fluox. And im better than i was.

Yeah the not climaxing is downside. I cant anymore at mo and like you...i feel ok . miss it a bit but im not desperate for it.I plan to keep going with fluox for a while longer and the propandol until my life has stabilised for a short time and that it has lots of uplifting days per week. Then i want to reduce dose to get some feeling back.

Really i find its more the link between thinking/anticipation of sex and the physical bit thats not working together.. if that makes any sense at all. I can do both separatly but not together.

if im then managing ok on lower dose i might then reduce to stop, and then take st johns wort instead. a herbal antidepressant.

And then work on my relaxation and meditation techniques. I think feeling peaceful would help matters.

I hope my plan works...its giving me something to aim for.

• Posted

Thank you for posting this, it's great to hear positive outcomes of staying with the medicine. A lot of people have different reactions to different meds, I tried Escitalopram and it was horrible. Been on flux for a week and it's been rough. So it makes it easier on me to keep pushing forward with your story in mind. I could care less about the sexual side effects at this point, I just want to function and be happy again. I feel I can achieve that without "finishing" if need be. Happy for you, and proud of you at the same time for being brave enough to give it a go again! Thanks for sharing!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.