Citalopram insomnia! Does it go away?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi i started citalopram 10mg 15 days ago the first 4 days i slept really well and now insomnia has kicked in. Does this go away? I feel worse not sleeping and feel like giving up already. Its the only thing thats helped my anxiety. Now i am having anxiety over not sleeping. Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Donna, Insomnia is a "Common" listed side effect of Citalopram.  But that's certainly not the worst of the listed side effects.  I hope that your doctor explained them to you.

• Posted

Iv had the spaced out feeling, fuzzy head, headaches, stomach ache which have all gone and now have insomnia. Im just worried how long its going to last. I was on these before last year and slept normal.
    • Posted

I'm sorry that you're going through that. Sleep is really important, as you well know. Unfortunately your doctor cannot tell you which side effects will continue to bother you. Everyone's metabolism is different and your metabolism will probably also change over time. Psychotropic drugs are notoriously unpredictable.

Obviously I cannot get between you and your doctor. All you can do is wait to see what happens. But be sure to let your doctor know of any and all symptoms. Some are really serious.

• Posted

Hi Donna, if you were on these before and you slept fine, I'm sure you will be ok soon. 15 days as you know, is still early days side effect wise. I'm nearly at the 4 week stage, and things are just improving, although I still have little appetite and I have only slept 3 hours tonight!  

When do you take your tablets?

At first these made me sleepy, and the side effects were so bad I took them at night, but if I find my sleep doesn't settle soon, I'll try mornings.

Dont give up. If they've helped before you know they are worth going on. You're 15 days closer to feeling better, don't reset to 0.  Just let your doctor know as Play2day says, and maybe change the time you take them, or try listening to some relaxation music when you wake to help you back to sleep, or to rest.

Xx

• Posted

Thank you both for your comments, Iv been taking mine in the morning, makes me tired in afternoon. But i seem wide awake at night, i slept ok last night. I took some piriton, it didnt exactly make me drowsy but at least i slept. Dont want to rely on sleeping pills as its not proper sleep. I will keep on them and see if it goes away. Its quite early days yet like you say and i woudnt like to give up just yet as they have helped before.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.