Diverticulitis, pickle juice

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was thirty five when first diagnosed with diverticulitis. It was an expensive issue after cat scans, emergency room morphine, and follow up appointments. The Dr told me at my age if I come see him again about this problem it's straight to the OR. So the next time I felt the tenderness, piercing pain in the same spot I began to panic. Who wants to be operated on right? I knew I could flush my system by chugging tomato juice in just one or two glasses, but the infection, I remebered some info I had read about vinegar having had some anti-bacterial, anti-septic, anti-viral, and ant-fungal properties. And I knew I had pickles in the fridge. So needless to say I chugged the quart jar of pickle juice, in about 12 hours I knew I made the right decision because the pain was going away, that evening. The next day I still felt the constipation, and drank tomato juice, couple Tylenol, pushed clear fluids and stayed as active as I dared, it took about 8 hours and then I knew I was on to something. For me this works so far I haven't been back to see a dr for this issue its been 3 years. However other times I wanted to long to drink the vinegar and it made my recovery time last longer by couple days even missed couple days work to recover sick in bed sick, so timing is key for me sooner the better. I can say I understand the pain, I knew when it's coming, and I stay prepared.  

This is my story, I would like to know if anyone has tried this or would be willing to try it or ponder the idea? Thoughts? I hope it helps. That's my 2 cents.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Goodness me!! I would never attempt to self medicate as I know my life depends upon Antibiotics.  If the infection gets a hold and a pouch in the colon ruptures; then it is emergency surgery and agony with peritinitis. (I was in hospital with a lady who this happened to; and still remember her screams of agony some 10 years on from the event). I follow all dietry advice - no seeds, nuts, pips, skins or pulses - so as to try to avoid bits getting into the pouches; and I take a live bacteria each day in the form of Acidophilis high strength (I am in the UK).  I do still get flare ups but have managed to go longer between bouts.  I have never heard the vinegar kills bacteria; and if you are happy with your self treatment then that is good.  Personally; I will keep with the Doctor and the antibiotics to kill the bugs.
    • Posted

They do not use antibiotics in Scandinavia to routinely treat diverticulitis. They have determined that bowel rest is better. Continued use of abx has very deleterious effects on the microbiome and studies have shown that it can take months and somtimes years to recover. This impacts long term general health. If my dd gets to the stage where I have to take antibiotics again I will consider the op my gastro is urging me to have!

• Posted

I don't think it's self medicating really cause of its natural I am consistently watching what I eat, i.e.: no nuts, seeds that sort of thing. And I want to add I don't mean to sound bullheaded/over confident in what I do as it may not work at a point, I am unsure. Just researching this further as to what other things I could be doing so I am not dependent on a persons ability to rule over me and my body. The diver is a problem it's terrible to go through but if I can control it myself that's what I am looking for. Thank you for sharing. I was unsure if anyone would. One thing I should add I was also told by the dr. The operation isnt a perminant fix as the sacs will grow back again. 

• Posted

I have had DD for the past three years.  Each time I went to the ER I got a Cat scan and meds.  I am put on Flagyl which nauseates me and Cipro.  I was told if I had 3 or 4 of these attacks in a year I needed to think about elective surgery.  My mom had chrons for 60 years and wore a pouch the entire time of her life.  She passed 12 years ago.  I don't want to have surgery, but I don't want those pouches to burst.  We meet with my surgeon on Thursday of this week to discuss options.  I stay away from seeds and popcorn and will  now stay away from things with skin on them.  I am pretty regular and don't have to strain a lot to go to the bathroom.  I am going to try your pickle juice, (a table spoon at a time and see how this works if I get another flair up.)  I enjoy reading the information others put on this forum.  They give me information and hope.  Please keep me in your prayers as I will all of you. 

• Posted

Well, as I said; I wish you well with your self medication and drinking of vinegar; but it is not for me - and perhaps  not for others on this forum who normally respond quickly to new discussions.  You seem confident in your methods so there may be little this forum can offer you except for others like me who offer advice re the foods to avoid. I know what you mean about the fact that when we are ill it feels we have lost all control over our own body and become reliant upon others.  But this is the way of life.  Be it putting your dog in the hands of a Vet as I am to do today re my dog who is ony 7 and becoming crippled with arthritis; or putting your own body in the hands of a medical professional with many years training and knowledge.  We often have to turn to others - for help; for food; for housing; for work; for knowledge.
    • Posted

It is often hard to have confidence in medical professionals when they have behaved appallingly llike giving you drugs that have poisoned you, failed to inform you or your gp that you should not be given this again and thsn lied about it and falsified your documentation.
  • Posted

Hey Treelesstoad, I can relate to the pickle juice.  I always drink some if I'm feeling sick at my stomach.  Never tried it for the diverticulitis.  When I had my surgery and would get sick they would give me drugs for nausea.  When I caught on to pickle juice to settle my stomach I never took another nausea drug.  My daughter would bring jars of pickles to the hospital and I would eat the pickles and dring the juice.  It's the vinegar that helps.  I still use that to this day.  If I feel lousy and a little sick to my stomach, out comes the pickles and juice.  I eat the small pickles for fear of too much food in my stomach.  Love your logic.

• Posted

I might add that I didn't eat all of the pickles and drink all of the juice at one time.  Only one pickle and about a tablespoon of the juice.  It has always helped for nausea.  

• Posted

Hi Lucy,

As a long time D.D. sufferer, I was interested to read about the pickle juice.  What sort of pickles?  Pickled Onions?  I would have thought that the acidity would upset the stomach.  Would malt vinegar work as well do you think?  This awful condition brings so many different symptoms for people that we try anything to help.  Feeling generally ill and nausious as well as stomach pain really pulls you down so it is worth trying anything.

Phyllis

• Posted

It was and still is kosher dill pickled cucumbers.  Haven't tried pickled onions.  I was as amazed as you about the pickles.  I was just so sick one day after one of my surgeries and didn't want to take any more drugs.  I wanted something salty to eat but was afraid to eat.  I thought about the pickles I had in the fridge and figured it might make me feel better.  I ate one pickle and took a spoon and got out about a tablespoon of the juice.  It was only a few minutes and my stomach was settled.  I don't know how it works but I know it does.  It worked every time after that as well.  I started thinking about it later and realized that I remembered my dad drinking pickle juice or eating pickles the  morning after a long night of drinking.  I've heard others say it was great for hangovers.  I guess if it would stop that nausea then it would probably help any nausea.

I have found with the DD it is a trial and error kind of thing.  I find tomato sauces and pastes really send me running for the bathroom now but raw or canned tomatoes don't do that to me.  Had to give up pizza and spaghetti for now.  I will try again later and see if my system has changed.  Losing 10.5 inches of your sigmoid colon and your eliocecal valve you have to keep trying to get back to "near normal" and it's a long journey I'm sure.  I'm 19 weeks out from last of four surgeries but doing very well.    The "quick step" has become my new dance.  My family know when my eyes get big and I jump up and start walking really fast down the hall what is going on.  It's just another bend in the road on the journey of life.  Happy to still be traveling.  

Hope you get better soon Phyllis.  Keep me up to date on everything.  

• Posted

Hi Lucy,

I have had this for more years than I care to remember as I am an old lady now.  I have had really viscious pains in the past, especially down the right hand side, not the left.  Doctors haven't been very helpful, I wasn't given any advice, except to be told "high fibre, low fat diet"  Some years ago, it was always diarrhea, now it can be both but I have tried to give up eating bread, not wheat as that is in a lot of foods, just bread as I felt that it stodged up my stomach.

I can't eat coleslaw or corn on the cob and I am a bit suspicious about peas which I do tend to eat a lot of.  I am now writing down all my meals to see if I can eliminate more problem foods.  I have heard that little and often is better, smaller meals instead of three larger ones.

I have got these pouches throughout the bowel and quite a few in the lower end which makes things very uncomfortable.  I believe that is the Sigmoid colon of which you have had what seems like an enormouse amount removed.  Can you tell me what happened to make them decide to operate?  I have wondered if it would make my symptoms easier if they could remove some of mine.

I am in the U.K. I haven't seen Kosher dill pickles in our supermarkets.  I wonder if the way they are pickled is any different to pickled onions or even if ordinary vinegar would do the same thing.

I always feel that I get the brush off with the doctors, they don't seem to take it seriously.  Probably if I collapsed and was taken to hospital in an ambulance it would be different.  I also feel that people that do not have bowel problems don't understand and maybe think that we are just being a bit feeble.  I don't like going out for too many hours away from our own bathroom.  Which makes enjoying life difficult.

I hope that you continue to do well.

Phyllis

• Posted

Phyllis, they never had Kosher dills when my dad was young and drinking either and it worked for him.  There are tons of health tips about using vinegar and it's positive effects on the human body.  Google it and see what you think.  

I never let the docs brush me off.  I have to know and they are going to tell me or I'm staying in the office until they do.  I can't take care of myself if I don't know what's wrong with me.  I will be 69 in October and they aren't going to treat me like I'm just another old person.  They are going to treat me like I mean something because I do.  Don't let the push you aside because you have a few years on you.  You are alive and deserve the same treatment that a 35 year old gets.  Boy this gets my dander up.  

I eat anything I want.  Some of the things I eat I wish I hadn't but I have to eat them at least once to see which ones give me the quick step.  If they do then I don't eat them any more for a while.  Afte a few months I will try them all over again just to see if they are still affecting me that way.  

Stay as healthy as possible Phyllis, and make those docs listen to you.  Stay strong.  

• Posted

I don't eat the pickels I just drink the juice. To be honest I am usually stuffed up, constipated so the P juice takes care of the infection and the tomato juice just loosens things to get things moving again. Thanks for the input.

• Posted

Apple vinegar might help also if you now how to use it. I don't know, I have never tried it and never tasted it.

• Posted

Thank you Lucy, I am 81 and think that age has a lot to do with it.  Also, although I don't sit around and in my head I am not 81, I don't get as much excercise as I used to.  Today I feel very sluggish and bloated so I don't think that not eating bread has made any difference.  Apart from the couple of things that I know causes problems, I think that I would be better off trying most things.

I have been looking on Google for excercises for a sluggish digestive system, I know that there are some good ones in Yoga so maybe I could try that.

I am determined to find a way to get rid of this bloating etc.

Bye for now

Phyllis

• Posted

I have tried Cider Vinegar in the past but it made my upper stomach feel a bit raw.  I will have a go with the tomatoe juice, I do drink apple juice, prune  juice works like dynamite and I usually feel as though I have been punched in the stomach for a while afterwards but it does get rid of the bloating.
    • Posted

The high fibre advice given for this condition is simplistic and counterproductive - actually worsening the condition. The fibre should be of the soluble kind as found in veggies. Wholewheat breads and pastas and cereals contain insoluble fibre. This makes for larger stools which put more pressure on the colon walls probably causing pouches to appear in the first place. I have found that cutting back on wholemeal bread helps. Constipation must be avoided but hard to pass stools also must be avoided.
    • Posted

My daughter in law sent me a cutting from a newspaper with an article saying that high fibre as in wheat fibre for instance can makes things even worse.  My stomach has been bloated most of the daty in spite of 3-4 visits to the loo.

I ate a small piece of bread today with some home made vegetable soup, the first bread for about 4 days and yet I am bloated and feeling sluggish today.  I have also eaten a pear, apple juice, squeezed orange juice and some peas, broccoli and cauliflower with our evening meal.  I expect that tomorrow it will sort itself out,

I just want to get things on an even keel so that I am in control.

• Posted

Have you considered that you might be sensitive to gluten? You could try eliminating bread completely for a month and see if that improves things. I would find it hard but I do try to eat less bread as I do not think it is a problem free food . Wholewheat bread in large quantities ie more than 2 slices a day causes bloating for me too.
    • Posted

Hi Madge,

I was tested quite a few years ago to see if I had Coeliac disease and I didn't, I am glad to say.  I am sure that it is my age and the many pouches and where they are that is causing the problem.  I have been looking at Yoga excercises as there are some that aid digestion.  So far today,  I am feeling better.  Now I am worried that when I eat some lunch the whole viscious circle will start again.  I toyed with the idea of taking some Lactulose last night but worried that it may cause more problems when I read the leaflet that is enclosed with it.

• Posted

Hi Phyllis,  you should try eliminating all wheat for a couple of weeks.  I tested negative for celiac disease, and took all kinds drugs but did a test myself on not eating wheat. All my problems stopped.  Although I admit a lot of my time is spent making wheat free breads, muffins, and pizza dough it’s worth the time.  Check out fat head pizza dough (my grandchildren love it!). Also websites like Ditch the carbs, Diet Doctor and a plethora of others. One site leads to the next. There’s lots out ther.  Good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.