Possible prolapsed bladder

Posted , 2 users are following.

I suppose its pointless second guessing this in any way but I already have a prolapsed bowel of some six years and that has caused me, despite surgery carried out 3 1/2 years ago, to strain furiously or I would get nowhere, and I am wondering, given my history and recent symptoms of pelvic pain, needing to apply pressure before weeing can commence, tremendous swelling and a dramatic change in my urinatory habits, if the same thing hasn't happened to my bladder of late.  I've had symptoms for about four months, and as these things happen very slowly at the best of times, have gotten round to having a specular, hopefully tomorrow or if not next Friday, and have been promised a scan.

Obviously I have questions though, would a scan show up a bladder prolapse and what are the forms of treatment, I understand hysterectomy can make it worse so would not opt for that, but does anyone have any idea?

I currently have to take two dyhidracodomine a day for my prolapse as the codeine "tells" my colon not to poo so much but past two days have needed three, the max you can take, of ibuprofen 400's, there seems to be no other option unless they can fix this and my prolapsed bowel surgery was NOT a success, I am still strongly symptomatic, almost as much as before.

Any help out there would be appreciated, thanks, Fiona

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,Fiona,I'm not going to be of much help to you ,as I've had my own issues for the past 12yrs.  But I do have a question I would like to ask you,how do you know when you have a prolaps bowel,what are the symptoms or first signs?   Would love to have been more help to you.

• Posted

No worries, Norma, well with me it started by just feeling that the shape of the rectal area, anus effectively, just wasn't the same, sorry that's a bit vague, what started to happen very suddenly was I was needing to open my bowels up to 22 times a day, now I imagine it could be a lot less than that, I wasn't expressing much, but the need was there, there were literally bucket loads of slime or mucus, and a lot of bleeding, and it was taking a lot more toilet roll to actually effectively wipe.

Now with me I kept taking in involved notes on my symptoms, updating them, which they said they were very grateful for, but the problem was the actual tests I was having over the next two and a half years, colonoscopy and I believe two proctograms or X rays, were not showing up that I was fully prolapsed and I had to be before they would do anything so on some levels we nearly came to blows!!  As I was in discomfort and going through hell and I felt they weren't helping me or recognising how ill I was, I feel sure that as the tests were coming back as only partially prolapsed, they thought I was making up stories, then in 2012 the surgeon agreed to a "hands on under anaethetic examination" and he found me to be fully prolapsed and called me in for "immediate" - one month on waiting list, surgery and they performed a ventral mesh which was completely painless but by then not nearly as effective as it would have been had it been found sooner.

Now you may not have nearly as many difficties being diagnosed and treated as I did, I am one of many different cases, so please don't go into panic mode.  The surgery they performed was keyhole and I was out the next day and advised to rest for six weeks, which I did with the help of family who were fortunately on hand.  I had no issues or side effects from surgery its just it wasn't successful as it could have been.

I hope this helps.  Best wishes, Fiona

• Posted

Thank you Fiona I'm Haveing problems with my iPad,when I've fixed it I'll reply to you.       I just  wrote you a long post then it disappeared,that's happened to me 3times today,so be patient.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.