Stubborn frozen shoulder

Posted , 12 users are following.

I had mua two months ago followed by intensive physical therapy. I still go three days a week and do my exercises at home but am feeling frustrated. While I Amon longer in the same horrible pain I was I before I still have limited range of motion especially reaching back, lime to put on A bra. Csn someone tell me how long I can expect it to take for a full recovery?

I also just started using a dynosling at home to improve my range of motion.

I am tired and feel like giving up.

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had frozen shoulder after rotator cuff surgery. Had to go capsulitis release and MUA surgery. It took me over 6 months finally pain free. My ROM improved slowly and still continue physical therapy. Gotta stay positive and it will get better. My doctor said to move your arm more and it will help with mobility. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

How long after the rotator cuff surgery did u do the mua and release surgery?
    • Posted

I didn't have surgery or an injury my fs just started for no reason

• Posted

Not sure how far along your FS is, but if you have the classic FS associated with type 1 diabetes, thyroid issues or menopause, there really aren't any shortcuts. Time is the only thing that heals this thing. Here's what I recommend based on having it twice... A good analgesic, lots of heat and massage, PT (but only enough to monitor any progress), and MSM at least once a day. The MSM actually helps big time. The first time I had it was in my left shoulder and it took over 3 years to completely heal. I've learned much since then and now have it in my right shoulder, but I'm not quite year yet and am already "thawing" out. Best of luck to you, Mike.

• Posted

It's a natural, organic compound that is found in many foods already. They have made it available in a concentrated capsule or powder form. They also pair it with other things like glucosamine for total joint health, but just get the pure MSM. I took 1000mg in the morning and 1000mg before bed, but now I'm down to just once at night. Works wonders!

• Posted

Thanks I'll check n the health food store

• Posted

Thanks for the tip on MSM.  It's worth a try!  I just placed an order on Amazon.

• Posted

You're welcome! Hope it helps. It has for many, including me.?

• Posted

I COMPLETELY understand your frustration.  I am 3 years into continuing to do therapy.  My left arm froze first and 5 mo. later, the left did.  When that happened, I got the steroid shot in the right.  I put it off due to the horror stories I read.  I felt hardly anything at all and no soreness the next day.  I continue to do some therapy just to be more comfortable.  Some days are good and some days I fear it is coming back.  For reaching behind the back, there is an exercise with the stretch belt you can do to help lift the hurting arm.  It is painful at first, but I PROMISE you, it will become your favorite!  It actually feels good to do it now.  I understand about wanting to give up because I do so at times.  Along w/ arm therapy, I do hip/ knee as well.  It is awful getting this stuff!!!!!!!!!!  If you haven't gotten the steroid shot, I encourage you to do so.  Even if it does hurt, it is well worth it.  If i had it to do all over again, I would immediately get it.  Keep doing the therapy which i soon began calling exercising (sounds more normal!).  Some improve and get rid of the fs within a year or so.  Like me, it may take longer.  My mother passed away about the time I got it.  Then, everything seemed to go downhill after that.  My bursitis / tendonitis is gone and my dr. thinks I could have fibromyalgia.  Fun....not!  Anyway, i hope this helps you.

• Posted

Had two shots before my manipulation and neither helped. I know the excercise you are talking about I guess I have to be patient
    • Posted

Have you asked about xiaflex injections which breakers up the collagen in the shoulder capsule ? 
    • Posted

You can use a big towel. Put it over good shoulder and reach behind you to grab towel with bad hand. Then pull towel over good shoulder so bad one gets a stretch. At pt they have a special band to do it
  • Posted

I did physical therapy for two months and then finally has a cortisone shot. The shot released all pain and gave me back full range of motion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.