Ciproflaxacin 500mg

Posted , 4 users are following.

Can anyone give feedback on these antibiotics as my husband had finished a course on a different antibiotic on monday and still not getting better, he has a uninary infection the burning sensation has gone and no blood in wee but still not well. The doctor said he was prescribed the wrong drug and now been put on these cipro for 1 month started wed and has had night sweats early hours the past 2 nites also a rash and tiny blood spots on his chest has headaches. Has been in bed for 10 days so has been resting and drinking plenty of fluids.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

If I were your husband, I'd immediately call my doctor and refuse to take anymore Cipro or anything in the Cipro family.

• Posted

Cipro for one month =disability for the rest of your life. Look this up online before taking another pill.
  • Posted

The tiny blood spots and rash indicate an immediate adverse reaction. If the doc says keep taking them take no notice. Most docs are clueless about fluoroquinolone toxocity.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply my hubby spoke to 111 and described his symtoms and has been told not to worry you can get a rash on these tabs. Hes actually had 2 good nite sleeps where he hasnt woke up with hot sweats and fever and no rash so thats a good sign.
    • Posted

If he continues to take them he is risking serious delayed reactions such as tendonitis , possibly with rupture of the Achilles tendon ( crutches for months after surgical repair). Also possi le heart rhythm problems ,and all sorts of more minor upsets that are not life threatening but seriously diminish one's quality of life. It is now over a year since I took one capsule of this poisonous abx and I am still not recovered. You need to research FQ toxicitg o line and decide if it really is worth the risk. There are far safer drugs .

• Posted

Hi Cheryl, read the packet insert - it's a huge list of horrible side effects and these are very, very real.  Your doctor may say no one gets them but very many people do, if not while taking the Cipri then some weeks or even months after.  Your husband may not get all of them but he may well get a selection, and then that selection may change as the months of pain roll by.

Madge was seriously affected by these pills, and so was my husband. Go to this thread:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/fluoroquinolone-toxicity-syndrome-427305

it was started by the moderator to help people find out more about quinolone toxicity syndrome.  There are some addresses where you can find out more including the website of a UK group.  Take a look, get you husband to tell the doctor to change the Cipro as he's having side effects - the packet insert tells you to do this.  There are other antibiotics he can take - the doctor is being lazy if he's prescribing an AB without knowing what the bug is that's causing the problem. 

Most important - tell your husband he musn't take any more.  If he's feeling at all ill it could very well be the Cipro making him feel this way - especially if his muscles ache anywhere.  This is serious.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.