Contemplating Toe Surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Had an issue with my 2nd toe.  Kicked a weight 5 years ago, little bit of a bunion but that was it until I recently did calf raises utlilizing the ball of my foot.  Then pain and now 2nd toe raises up in heels causing bunon on top (2nd toe has always been longer anyway).  I can wear heels 2 1/2".  Sure feet hurt at the end of day, but who's doesn't?  Depending on shoes, sometimes no pain at all.

Trying to decide whether to go forth with the surgery or continue this way.  I'm 54 and fairly active, but not sure I want to spend the next year or so healing, not knowing what the end result will be.  I've heard more negative than positive on this site and am having 2nd thoughts.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My 2nd toe was a hammer toe and they fused it they took the pin out after 6 weeks.

Now every step is painful because my toe won't bend. I wish I would have known they were going to fuse it, I didn't think it would cause me so much trouble. I would have never got the surgery if I would have known it would almost be worse than before the surgery, 10 months later. I've tried physio, acupuncture, laser therapy, nothing works. Every step is painful. Do your homework.

• Posted

Unless you're in excruciating pain, I would advise you to avoid surgery. I'm 6 weeks post op from having a severe bunsion fixed and 2 cross over toes pinned and I'm in worse shape than ever.  Even with the best, most experienced surgeon, you never know what you're going to get. I wish I had never had this done.

• Posted

I appreciate your input.  Only time I'm in pain is when I wear my heals and even then, depending on shoes, not bad.  Since this injury is 5 years old, I never thought anything could be done, but my sis in law just had it done (dislocated 3 toes) and was raving about the Dr. and her feet looked great 4 mos. later.  The only reason I would even consider it.  For three years foot was fine, but after doing some calf raises recently on steps (ball of foot) that's when my 2nd toe started acting up (bunyan on top).  The last thing I want to do is have to buy larger shoes for one foot.  I'm supposed to sched. surgery on Monday, but I think I'm going to hold off for now.  You know what they say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", right? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.