Back and leg pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, For a few weeks I've been suffering from severe pain in my lower back, pain at the top of my spine, which is affecting how I move my neck, and pain down the backs of both thighs. This started one morning when I went to get out of bed and realised how painful everything was. I can lie comfortably in bed, but turning over is very painful. I can walk, but have extreme difficulty bending in any way, so tying laces is virtually impossible, as is picking anything up from the floor. Also, I have to be able to push down hard on something to get out of a chair. It's a good job I have strong arms! I've been to see my GP who doesn't seem to know what's caused it. She has suggested anti-inflammatories, like ibuprofen and also paracetamol. These don't seem to touch the pain. I've noticed that it's at its worst first thing in the morning and has improved by the afternoon. I assume therefore that the best thing is to keep moving. I have an appointment with a physio. Does anyone have experience of something like this and any suggestions for pain relief? Should I be looking at an appointment with a chiropracter? Thanks in advance for any help.

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

If ibuprofen or paracetamol don't touch it, it's likely it's nerve pain. That is treated with different medications such as Gabapentin (which I'm on) and pregablin. I paid privately for a chiropractor for several months before he wrote to my gp for an MRI and nerve pain meds. Si Chiro may be the way to go. In the meantime, ibuprofen and ice packs on the lower back may help. Only use them for 15-20 minutes up to 4x a day.

I'm no professional, but this is the advice I have been given to help with inflammation around my bulging disc-which makes my sciatica worse.

Hope this helps you xx

• Posted

You could also try codeine with your gp or pharmacist's advice/support x

• Posted

Hi davin51356

You have the typical symptoms of polymyalgia rheumatica which is an inflammatory disease. You need an ESR blood test (Erythrocite Sedimentation Rate) to test for it...if it is PMR ordinary painkillers wont touch it you need steroid treatment which will get rid of the pain..I know because I have it.

Go back to your doc and ask for an ESR blood test....you have to get it checked because if it is PMR it can progress to Giant Cell Arteritis which affect the arteries in your head giving you severe headaches and jaw and face pain if left untreated can cause blindness......bedt wishes..kerp us posted...

• Posted

Thanks for your advice. I have to say that things seem to

be worse, with bad pain in both knees now, especially

first thing in the morning. My Dr has taken some blood

tests and x rays. I'm waiting for the results. Could you

describe your own symptoms in a bit more detail? Thanks. D.

• Posted

Hi davina51356

The pain I has was exactly like yours in my neck shoulders arms

back of my thighs. The pain was dreadful in bed on turning over in bed

and first thing in the morning the pain would raging in my neck shoulders

and backs of thighs. It would stop raging after an hour so after getting

up, but it was always there throughout the day and would come back with

vengeance at night.

My doc did an ESR blood test which came back positive for a high

level inflammation and started me on 15mg prednisolone (steroid)

which took the pain away after a week or so. I am now tapering off the

steroid and am down to 9mg. I taper by reducing 1mg a month because

you have to come off steroid slowly. Up until now I had some mild pain

come back but it has gone now.

After the blood test result I saw Rheumatologist who diagnosed me

with Polymialgia Rheumatica.......best wishes....

• Posted

Hi Lilian,

Just wanted to say many thanks for your information. I've now been diagnosed with PMR (last week) and have started steroid treatment. I'm now wondering what sort of exercise(s) I should be doing, now that I'm feeling a bit better!

Many thanks again,

Davina.

• Posted

Hi davina51356

I am so pleased you now have a diagnosis because knowing what your dealing with is half the battle. As regards exercise I do a lot of walking and swimming occasionally as that way you're using all your muscles. I do not exercise in excess, but I do watch my diet as the steroids make you very hungry and if you overeat you develop a moon face and put on weight. I follow a diet of gluten free, dairy free, lacto free, wheat free, sugar free and caffeine free. Lots of veggies and fruit and free froms from popular supermarket.....I follow a book written by a doctor who had auto immune disease and reversed it following this particular diet. I cannot mention it here as not allowed... but if you want to send yr email I can tell you... I expect your doc has told you that you will eventually taper off steroids which will have to be done slowly im tapering by 1mg a month otherwise you can become ill...I am now down to 8mg from 15mg....but you wont be tapering for a while yet.....best wishes and so happy to have helped with your diagnosis....... 😊

• Posted

Hi Lilian,

Many thanks for your reply. I'd be happy to let you have my email address.

Is there a way I can send it to you without it being publicly visible?

If not, I'll just put it on here.

Many thanks again for your help. I'm getting quite clued up about

PMR!

Davina.

• Posted

I would be very careful with chiropractory.  It is expensive and unproven,  It can be very painful and harsh especially if you are of slim build.  It doesn't help everyone.  It left me with even worse back and joint pain than before,   It put such physical and emotional strain on me that I got costochondritis a few months after treatment and then I developed IBS. You would be better off asking your GP for a stronger painkiller and discussing it with your physio. 

• Posted

I think physical therapy could help you since you mention movement seems to help it. Sometimes muscle imbalances can create alignment issues. These muscle imbalances can create a lot of pain from head to toe as muscles are compensating for some other muscle/muscles not doing there job. The body will do what it has to do for stability even if it is painful. A very very common problem that can do this is forward head posture. The cranium will hyperextended on the atlas ( OA joint ) so that you can see in front of you. This tightens and shortens the suboccipital muscles....all of this makes movement of the neck difficult because a lot of rotation occurs up there and can't occur when the tight muscles restrict the movement. Joints have to move or they become painful. Interestingly, problems at this joint will  tilt the pelvis anterior creating a lot of lower back pain or a tilted pelvis can create the neck pain. Typically people with this feel better up and moving than sitting. This is because when your up and moving you have your dynamic muscle stabilizers at work and when your sitting you are relying a lot on postural muscles. Chiropractic care can help with alignment but there is always a risk when you go cracking the delicate structures of the neck of cervical stroke. Also, there is no point in aligning if you don't strengthen the muscles that would hold the adjustment. Otherwise, you will be in chiropractic hands forever. Best wishes! 

• Posted

Just goes to show this could be so many things. I think going to general practitioner is the way forward xx
    • Posted

Yes...that would help in guiding what treatment you should be seeking. They can rule out anything serious or potentially find your problem through imaging etc.,
  • Posted

Hi Davina.

Very similar symptoms. But no one has been able to diagnose. Also had very sore lumpy spots on outer thighs and outer arms. Digestion problems. Feet aching... oh I wont go on.

Symptoms have reduced since I stopped eating wheat and milk. Lost weight - 10 kgs and 10 to go. Increased exercise. Go to bed early and make sure I get 8 hours. Stopped drinking and smoking. (How stupid was I?) Increased water. Take anti-inflammatories when bad.

Another thing I noticed that ot seems much worse when its hot and humid.

Yoga is great and swimming even better.

Cheers. Hope it helps.

Jen

• Posted

Sounds like you should go to an oesteopath . And cataflam antiinflamotories. The are strong and very good. I use them. And same thing you need to keep moving because. When you top you stiffin up .
  • Posted

Hi davina

I tried to send via this forum but it wouldn't submit..I have sent you a private message..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.