Suggestions for Lower Back Pain Relief

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've had lower back pain for many years due to a curvature of my spine and a disintergration of my discs..A back operation might improve things for awhile, but does not appear to be a long-term nor permament solution...In addition to the lower back pain, I experience a lot of pain in my back and legs when I stand or walk for more than 5 minutes..

I use a back brace at times and it helps part of the time..Also, I take Aleve to reduce the pain...Other than that, I try not to have to stand-up for a long time nor walk very far..FYI - I also have artheritis in my left leg which limits my mobility..

I'm 72 yrs old and have other medical problems, but need relief with my back pain ASAP...

Please respond with your suggestions.......THANKS.....

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello Randy, I am sorry your struggling with you pain. Have you asked for pain management, you can ask your GP for a referal. I suffer constant pain and i find Amitriptyline helps with sleep. I also take Gaberpentin and Naproxen. It's difficult to say whats helpful as your pain is different from mine and what works for one doesn't always work for someone else. I suffer Osteo arthritis in my knees and lower spine and struggle to walk sit or stand for more than a few minutes. I havee had my left knee replaced twice and due for my right one soon. I hope you find some suitable pain relief. Please go to your GP and ask for a review of your medications or a referal to a pain clinic. Wishing you the best. 

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Thanks for your response and suggestion!...We have some similar symptoms...I'm in the U.S. and haven't heard of Pain Clinics, but there may be some. ...I'll request a referral from my PCP/GP as you suggest...

• Posted

Backs are a right nusicence aren't they randy85492!

I have a strange muscle wasting problem along my spine with arthritis and im only 29 years! Though I've been told to keep moving which has help to a point but I can appreciate that later stages of arthritis it's not easy to keep moving.

If I find I stiffen up I find a hot water bottle helps get the blood flowing to my back. Have you tried to seek help from a mobility therapist like a physio or an osteopath?

Wishing you well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.