Painkillers after hip op

Posted , 16 users are following.

I am 4 days post op for total hip rep.  Only been prescribed paracetomol and codeine. Hate taking codeine as they knock me out. Had declofenic when I had first hip op and they were good. What combination is anyone else taking? Paracetamol on their own  isn't enough. Thanks everyone

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was prescribed 2x Tramadol along with 2x paracetamol 4 times a day, but I knocked that down to one tramadol pretty quickly as 2 knocks me out, Im now taking that combination twice a day, im 4 weeks post op on Monday.tbh could probably knock that down a bit now too. codeine wasnt great for me as it made me really constipated, its one of the side effects.
  • Posted

Where in the world are you i know in the uk they have stoped prescribing diclofenic because of side affects they tend to use naproxen instead
    • Posted

I believe diclofenic is stil available in UK, but only with a prescription, it has been banned as an OTC drug.
    • Posted

You can get otc diclofenac cream but not the tablets even with prescription that was from the start of this year due to it causing heart problems
  • Posted

Hi Polly,

Before surgery I took naproxen, abstention and co-Coldwell, after sugery

I take tramadol as well, 5 weeks later and now I only take co-codamol

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Polly I'm in the U.K all I was given was codiene

and paracetamol was given tramadol to take

before op ,wow had to stop taking them felt terrible. I'm just 5 weeks post and still taking pain killers did cut right back but over did it and have had to take again. Keep well xxx

• Posted

Pre-op I had diclofenic (my doctor looked into my heart BP etc) and decided ok as naproxin pre-op wasn't doing anything.  Post op I had tramadol, naproxin and paracetamol.  I was very aware of coming off tramadol can be problematic after watching my son's horrible withdrawal symptoms, weened my self off very slowly at about 8 weeks got down to 1 a day then one every other day etc, had no probs at all.  Even now at 4 and a bit months have odd naproxin, more for back pain than hip.  Hope this helps.  Oh some doctors don't like to prescribe naproxin post op but my surgeon was ok with it.

• Posted

Dear Polly

I too had paracetamol and ibruprofen but now my doctor has given me zapping. It's a

Codeine/paracetamol tablet 500ml. it does the job for me????

• Posted

I was given endone, 5mg, and paracetemol.

Wow everything nice and pink, my sons told me I was stoned with dialated eyes, and very drunk and wobbly walking, or maybe closer to not walking very much, but i must admit i mostly just slept those first ten days, other than doing exercises, and moving around a little in the house, had strict instructions from Dr not to leave house for those first ten days.

Nice for the pain, as it wiped it out, not so nice for bowel, constipation really bad, and I am never constipated, take medication for my arthritis that has the opposite effect.

Got off Endone after ten days, but had to remain on the paracetamol for about another 2 weeks or so.

Pretty pleased that i was able to manage without pain killers after that, although I do believe my natural pain levels before i need help are pretty high.

• Posted

Endone is a wonderful narcotic, no wonder your sons said you were stoned, you were!! 
  • Posted

I am in UK. Diclofenic before and after topped up with Tramadol for the first 3-4 weeks after. Still on low dose Tramadol for other hip!

• Posted

Sorry that that should read low dose Diclofenic. No Tramadol after 3 weeks post surgery!
  • Posted

Hi prolly, I agree about the codamol makes me very constipated, I am having second hip on Wednesday and have been taking diclofenac which found very good, also doc put me on tramadol, awful no sleep and sweaty most of the time, I intend to take diclofenac when I get back home as I have a good supply in the house, paracetamol useless as well. Good luck from Ann

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.