Diagnosed with 'eye pressure'--/ worried!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

So when I went to the opticians the other day my optician tested my eye pressure and said it was high/higher than usual. It was my first time with the air puffs.

It was 21 and 22 pressure in the eye.

She is referring me for a hospital appointment (in 6 weeks) just for a cornea measurement etc.

However it's stressing me out as I'm worried that the eye pressure could be caused due to a brain tumour or some other neurological disease. I'm also worried it could lead to blindness (I'm 19).

Does anyone else have this 'eye pressure' and know what it can cause or mean? I'm too stressed out to wait 6 weeks to find out.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi j49038: The best thing to do for now is to drink lots of water and eat lots of fruits and vegetables and go for a walk for an hour every day, listlen to the music to take the stress away from you. this will lower your pressure of your eyes. try to eat 2 small fresh garlic with your food every day and some orange or lemon on a daily basis. Also go to your eye doctor every week to test your eye pressure usualy they use drops to lower the pressure. I do not understand why you have to wait 6 weeks to find out this is too long. get second openion before 6 weeks. Good luck and let me know I am concern about it.
    • Posted

Hi Youlia.

Is your advice like eating garlic, fruit, green vegetables, oranges, lemon will help full to reduce to eye pressure?

• Posted

Hi rishabh 89680: yes it will help to reduce the eye pressure, also lestnning to soft music 1/2 hour per day and 1/2 an hour per day walking any kind of relaxation will help to reduce the pressure a lot. also drink  lots of water every day. good luck and keep intouch God Bless. 
    • Posted

I think Youlia's advice is good for a healthy lifestyle in general but dont ignore the professional ophthalmologists advice.

The supplement that ophthalmologists often recommend is Lutein which can be taken in tablet form and is also found in yellow fruit and vegetables as well as green vegetables. If you read up on the science of this it does make sense. 

• Posted

I would expect enough in my diet but I did need to have my cataracts done two years ago !

From Wiki.

Lutein is a natural part of human diet when fruits and vegetables are consumed. For individuals lacking sufficient lutein intake, lutein-fortified foods are available, or in the case of elderly people with a poorly absorbing digestive system, a sublingual spray is available. As early as 1996, lutein has been incorporated into dietary supplements. While no recommended daily allowance currently exists for lutein as for other nutrients, positive effects have been seen at dietary intake levels of 6–10 mg/day. The only definitive side effect of excess lutein consumption is bronzing of the skin (carotenodermia).

The functional difference between lutein (free form) and lutein esters is not entirely known. It is suggested that the bioavailability is lower for lutein esters, but much debate continues.

As a food additive, lutein has the E number E161b (INS number 161b) and is extracted from the petals of marigold (Tagetes erecta). It is approved for use in the EU and Australia and New Zealand but is banned in the USA.

Some foods are considered good sources of the nutrients

• Posted

The opticians equipment is not as accurate as the hospitals have. I was told that my pressure was high but the hospital told me that I have thicker corneas than normal that the optician could not measure.

My eye pressure he said was 21-24 mmHg but

because of a thicker cornea should be regarded as 16-18 mmHg. He made the

example of pressing a finger to a balloon and to a football. The balloon

will register more pressure than the football from the same pressure because

of its thickness. Eye pressure he said is like BP with the hormones that get

you ready for the day raising it.

• Posted

PS.

I should have added that I asked him what will happen next time I go to an optician? Will I again be referred back to the hospital? He says to tell them that I have a corneal thickness of 575 microns (the norm is 560) and that it is patients with a thickness below 555 microns and an eye pressure of more than 24mmHg who have an increased risk of glaucoma.

• Posted

Please dont worry about a brain tumour. That is highly unlikely. Your optician is making sure you have an excellent assesment of all things related to your eyes and if any treatment is needed you will be monitored. As Derek has said,  opticians equipment is not as accurate as a hospital's Ophthalmology equipment.  Do you have the appointment date or were you just told it would be in about 6 weeks?

• Posted

Opticians can often spot certain types of brain tumor during their examinations ad a person ob this Forum found.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.