I need some advice for my mum shes been on mirtazapine for 2 and half weeks

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi my mum is 67 years old shes been on mirtazapine for 2 and half weeks now for anxiety and stress and the doctor as put her up to 30 mg . Everyday she wakes up with the shakes and feeling all over whelmed some days are worse than otheres and now shes feeling a bit depressed and her anxiety is to the max . The only thing the doctor as give her to carm her down in the day time is a beta-blocker Propranolol 10 mg but she feels bad for an hour after takeing it .The only time shes carms down is about 7 o'clock at night . Is this normal and will it go away if she stays on Mirtazapine tablet ?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi nicola ive been on mirt for 6months  started off at 30mg  worked really good after first 3weeks   until july  when i just suddenly started to feel sick  and started panicking and felt low again   so doctor upped them to 45mg  took a further 2/ 3 weeks to kick back in again,  but yes i sometimes wake up feeling depressed  but soon as i get up and get on with the day it usually gets better    some days thou it dosnt and feel abit low in mood  untill about 7oclock like your mum  i go really calm,  its strange how it does work,    I would tell your mum to give it another week or two  as it can take abit to start working.    I have other issues going on like stomach problems  but docs think it could be ibs   so i think that dosnt help with anxiety.  I no how hard it can be when you suffer with anxiety   i know i just wanted a quick fix as i was so low  mirt does help me   but i also dont want to depend on them  so soon as i sorted my stomach issues  i will try to come off them.   hope your mum feels better soon ,   she could always ask the doctor if she can up the propranolol for a few days untill the mirt kick in  as thats what i did xx

• Posted

Thank you for replying . Its just hard not knowing what to do for her . The only thing the doctor said was the last option is diazepam to carm her but my mum been on that 3 times since April this year xxx
    • Posted

Hi

can I ask you if this was your first time on Medication . Are you on it for anxiety or depression.  I am still running with anxiety all day.

• Posted

Hi ruth yes this was my first time on medication  it was mainly for depression   but i also had anxiety too  so i took propranalol aswell  but when i was 3 weeks into the mirt  i felt ok to come off them,   I do still get anxiety  but im undergoing test for my stomach  after having my gallbladder removed ive not been right since   and this sets of my anxiety,  but ive got to say ive not been that bad that ive had to go back to propranalol x
    • Posted

Were you able to come off them ok.  Heard horror stories.  So sorry you are still not well, hope you can find some answers
    • Posted

Im still on the mirt, its just the propranalol  ive stopped taking  im same i do want to eventually come of them  but im also scared after hearing so many stories,  but a few people have said it effects people in different ways coming off them   so when im ready i will try,  just need to get all my other problems under control first  as want to be at my best before trying to reduce them,   thankyou hun  wish you best of luck xx
    • Posted

It seems that mirt does work for some people  but not for others  but i  know it took me 3 to 4 weeks before i actually started to feel ok on the higher dosage.   if she can manage to stick with it abit longer to see if things improve ,  if she no better in the next week or so tell her phone doctors back up.  xx
    • Posted

I will thank you patricia . Just crossing fingers it will work for her , every day things that never got her upset or worried really get to her now and its hard to carm her down
    • Posted

Hi Nicola in answer to your question about your mum taking mirt for anxiety and depression I can't see how and when it will get the problem under control propronal is a high blood pressure medication which only slows the heartbeat down which is supposed to decrease the anxiety that may work for some but not all I was on that and it didn't help sorry to to say but I think your mum needs something else mirt is complicated to many side effects take her back to the Dr something is not right good luck to you both cat196111 😊

• Posted

What dose of Mirt is your Mum taking?  15 mg ??

I have read that sometimes the Propranalol can turn paradoxical, so maybe the beta blocker isn't right for her.  

Would your  Mum consider coming on to the forum at all ?  It can get tricky doing it 3rd party.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi my mum was on 15 mg and 3 days ago the doctor put her on 30 mg of mirtazapine .

My mum just worries about tablets shes had a bad time with them .

My mum would love 2 but she dont know how to work computers she feels better if i talk for her .

Thank you

• Posted

Is it possible that the 30mg does is just too high? Speaking from personal experience, I could not function on 30mg dose. I've been on mirtazapine for almost 4 years now. Like many I started on 15mg, then like most doctors do, was put up to 30mg. Well, after about a week on 30mg I couldn't wake up in the morning! I was SO groggy and felt like a fog had settle in my brain. My anxiety was way worse, probably from lack of sleep. I did find out that higher doses of mirt have a less sedating effect than 15 or 7.5mg doses and I was not getting into the deep sleep my body and brain needed to rest/recover. This is from my doctor. So I'm now back down to 15mg and have been for most of my 4 years. I still can feel that bit of anxiety creep in but I find that once I'm doing something that anxious feeling goes away.

So, not saying 15mg dose is for everyone but it's worth discussing with your doctor, if after 4 to 6 weeks have past and your mom is still not doing well. They can even have her try 22.5mg dose. Bets of luck!

• Posted

Hi. Can I ask you how long before 15mg made you anxiety feel better. Are you taking it for sleep.
    • Posted

I really started to feel truly better at about 3 months after being on 15mg steady. I had to go down from 30mg, to 22.5 then back to 15mg. I'm very sensitive it seems to the adjustment so a couple weeks at 15mg and I could start to go out again without panic attacks. Gradually over about 3 months I evened out and felt pretty good! I did have trouble staying asleep which is why my dr prescribed the Mirtazapine.  If your mom's only been on a couple weeks she likely needs a few more before she may really notice feeling better. 1st few nights it knocked me right out! Now it just gently helps me to fall asleep and I generally sleep all night.  Mirtazapine has been marked "the devil" by many people but I think they may have been on very high doses. If it works for you it's a good medication with a shorter list of side affects. Like any other antidressant she will most likely expericence withdrawl symptoms if she doesn't come off it slow enough.  Also be ware, your mom might find herself craving things and wanting to eat. If she can acknowledge that it's the medication and keep herself from induldging then weight gain may not be an issue.

• Posted

hi

Did you start at 30 mg and then taper down to 15mg.  I don't know whether to up mine or to hang about in 15mg. Did you slowly start to feel better..   Were your anxiety, stress levels really bad during the day when you first needed to use these.  Mine are reaching heights. Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.