Cancer & Blood tests

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I am currently having blood tests as well as MRI/CT scans to see if my bowel cancer has returned or spread?

What I am confused about is the need for blood tests on top of the scans, dont they achieve the same thing or duplicate each other?

Thanks

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I'm going through the same routine of blood tests plus CT scans.  It seems normal to have both for post treatment monitoring, presumably as a belt and braces approach.

• Posted

As Antony said blood tests can show tumour markets and the ct scan can see any abnormalities if there is any

I hope you are all clear and get a good result

• Posted

Thank tou both

So the blood tests on their own could confirm a tumour?

• Posted

Yes depending what bloods tests your GP asked for there's tumour markers for different types of cancers then if it is positive your doctor can send you for further tests

Your ct scan would also show if it has returned or if the cancer has spread to other organs causing secondary cancer your doctor will also answer any questions you have

• Posted

Thanks

I've had blood tests for both my oncologist and GP, the results of the latter have come back and full blood count and liver function are all normal.

Obviously these are not direct cancer tests but are they any indicator of those results?

• Posted

It's a really promising result vowel cancer if it spreads beyond the vowel wall will mastisize spread to the liver in most cases so your liver blood count would be lie if it was there as it wouldn't be functioning properly the ct scan will put beyond any doubt that it has returned it spread but the blood results are a great start your oncologist will talk tongue when the other results are through I am think positive for you

• Posted

Many thanks for your help, scans done 2"weeks ago so heard nothing so fingers crossed from my appointment next week!

• Posted

Hi

Sorry to be a pest but I've been told that my CEA blood tests are fine, how should I relate this to CT and MRI results?

Thanks

• Posted

Hi your cea blood tests are more for monitoring cancer as its a marker for tumours with this being fine means it hasent returned but your Mri and ct scan will confirm it hasent
  • Posted

Many thanks

It's the waiting that stresses me so hopeful for good news

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.