Increase in blood sugar levels unexplained.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have type 2. Just been put on glucoside. 

This morning at 08:20 fasting reading 8.3

Took medicine. No food only water. Did body step 55 minutes hard workout  plus 40 minutes badminton plus walked 30 minutes either way to gym. 

To test at 12:30 reading 9.3. How did this happen? No food only medication and water? 

Any help on weight gain as won't to lose weight been told side affect weight gain. 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Andrew05,

I'm not a medically qualified person but someone also with Type 2 and as mystified by it all as you are but I remember hearing that sugar is stored in the liver and also the muscle.  Could it be that your vigorous exercise has released sugar into your bloodstream?

Hopefully someone on here will be better able to explain it than I am as I'm very new to this disease.

I wish you well

• Posted

Been a Diabetic for 20 years. I found that if I do not eat a plain yogurt or some other protein or a small amount of oats with protein (not instant oats, avoid anything processed) within about a half hour of waking up my,  sugar actually goes higher.  Make sure you ALWAYS eat in the morning. Especially as you are on new medication. Not a doctor, but sounds like your body is reacting from NOT eating. Just my experience, as I tried not eating too. Didn't work.   Gotta eat regularly, even if it's just a few raw walnuts and a little piece of cheese (I always add a little protein).  

Re: weight gain, I just lost 16lbs and I take a small amount Latus, which makes it VERY very difficlut to loose. I am dedicated to the ellicptical 3x a week (30 min. and 15 on the tredmill after ellicpitical.) I try to get in my 10,000 steps at LEAST 4 days a week, and no less than about 5,000 steps on my non-gym days. You have to be dedicated and consistent with either walking or excercise and your sugar should balance out.

Trust me, if I can loose weight, you can too, it's difficult, but it can be done. The doctors shouldn't tell us we "can't loose" I didn't try that hard for a few years  because I was discouraged, but not now!

• Posted

Many thanks for the encouragement and thoughts, I will give it bash.
  • Posted

Hi andrew05. I am also type, having initially been diagnosed as type 1). I am also a long distance runner. Whenever I exercise my sugar's spike, even though I only drink water. I asked my nurse about this and she explained that during exericse your liver releases extra sugar as the exercise has stimulated it. I was recommended to not test within 2 hours of exercise, also I found that the only time my sugars lowered was when I was taking insulin (which I have not been for about a year). However, I find that if I eat sensibly my sugars are lower the morning after intense exercise. 

As others have said, I would recommend having protein before and after exercise, and a banana also as I find working out on no food spikes my sugars even higher. I am trying to lose weight too, but I would also go by body measurements as I have not lost any weight in the past 3 months, but I have gone down a dress size.

Good luck with losing the weight

• Posted

Congratulations on loosing a dress size! Great job! I noticed that the scale did not change for me for about 4 months, then all of a sudden it did. Maybe it takes our bodies a little longer to kick in? 

Keep with it! It's difficult, but we CAN do this!. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.