9th week...still walking with a stuck

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hey everyone,

Oooh I'm so frustrated....still on my stick!!!

I feel as though I'm doing ok, although extremely slowly!! After my last post, I have started physio sessions (I'm in the UK and really had to fight for these). I'm just unsure if this is actually helping at all?? I'm just wondering what everyone else's view is on this? There seems to be two views..one that physio is definitely needed and another where simply walking is enough to aid recovery. The problem is when I walk my hip feels weak, like it is not ready to support my weight. I have looked in a mirror as I walk and my knee doesn't straighten enough when I push through with my operated side.

I have also started using the exercise bike just for 10 mins a day.

This is my 9th week and while I find myself improving in very small ways, the one thing I really want to improve is walking without a limp. Unfortunately, I walked with a limp for years before I had my op. I feel like a toddler learning to walk all over again. I'm supposed to be returning to work on the 5th Sept, but I'm sure not I'm going to make it at this rate.

Any advice on any of the above would be so grateful.

Hope everyone is doing ok ??

Jacqui xx

0 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jaqui

I am 7 weeks and use a stick when out and still cannot walk upstairs one leg after the other. In so many ways am fine see Consultant for first time 23rd August so will ask for physio. I think it is the tendons that were cut during surgery that are still weak or my confidence? Don't know the answer to that ? Also still up 4 times a night for peeing . I am not taking any medication now so I know I am so much better x

• Posted

Hi Julie,

I think it's probably a bit of both. I'm surprised at how much confidence I have lost, especially with being young and always working full time. I think the healing takes a long time, I posted previously about the fact that there are lots of components in and around the hip capsule that need to heal. I guess I was hoping it would be a bit quicker for me than it is ??

Take care

Jacqui xx

• Posted

Try the physio NHS app that you can download. Lots of good info in there including heel to toe walking, and as someone posted last evening, clench your buttocks when you stand prior to walking and as you walk.

I am 15 months ,had a limp before the op due to a tendon graft in my ankle, and still limp slightly when tired. I went back to work at 3 months

• Posted

Thanks Maggie,

I've tried the bottom clenching but it doesn't help at the moment. Thanks for your thoughts, very much appreciated.

Jacqui xx

• Posted

Hi Jacqui, Really 9 weeks is really nothing in recovery .According to my GP the general veiw is that now it takes a year to fully recover from a straight forward THR. Mine is the total opposite from straight forward but I found myself dwelling on the things I couldn't do rather than the things I could. I'm now understanding it's all those silly little improvements thats happening add up and make the difference. I always had the belief that one day I would find the 'perfect' exercise, a magical something that would make a massive improvement over night!!!! How daft am I? It sounds like your doing OK, be kind to yourself, yes I think physio helps a lot so do chase that up. Does it really matter if you go to work with a stick? My physio says that you have something called muscle memory and if you've walked with a limp for a long time you need to retrain them to work differently. I was told that I had some muscles that had taken over the function of others, getting bigger in size while the ones I should be using have got smaller. It's difficult retraining them, I've been shown some Isometric exercises tht seem to be helping. I'm in the situation of only having one third of each muscle group left, but over 6 months I'm beginning to see a difference. Good luck with it all.....it's not easy.  Hugs Patsy XX

• Posted

Hi Patsy,

I will struggle with a stick as I don't have a sit down office type of job. I wish I did, I wouldn't be worrying quite so much ??

Thanks for your thoughts, I really appreciate it

Jacqui xx

• Posted

Super post Patsy - it is so hard to be patient isnt it?! We go through so much to get to the operation and, lbh, the surgeons are not completely open about how long recovery will take and what it will take to get to 100%. It is hard to be patientered when life is not standing still around us.

I happen to be in the exercise and physio camp - I saw my mine at 3 weeks and found that positioning during exercise is really key, so that I was not getting full benefit from my work.

Good luck with your recovery - sorry it was complicated. It is hard enough recovering from a straightforward thr.

L

• Posted

Hi Jacqui,

Walking with the stick could be a while yet but it sounds like you are making improvement, I was using my stick for 7 months constanly now it's on and off.  The physio is needed but the junior one work with just seeing how exercises go for more in depth you need a chartered physio I've been with a very good one since Jan. 

I have the knowledge for rehabilitation as well but it has been slow in my case, I certainly wasn't doing the things you are at 9 weeks!

It will take time for your body to adjust after limping all that time.

I'd have to say it sounds like you are doing well! The exercises are important, there are a lot of muscles to rebuild, 

Gluteal, Quads, Hamstrings, Abdductors, adductors, one of the biggest and most difficult is the Piriformis as it's deep.

If you are interested then look at this link which shows all the muscles and what they do and you can see what you need to work on.

http://www.ux1.eiu.edu/%7Ecfje/2440/Hip-muscles.pdf

All the best Hank

• Posted

Thanks Hank, I will look at the link now 😊

Best wishes

jacqui xx

• Posted

Excellent link, Hank.  Really shows how many muscles are involved.  I really had no idea -- good to have a visual of it.  Thanks for posting that.  Leslie
    • Posted

Thanks Leslie, it took a while to be moderated, did realise links go of for that but totally understand.

Yes, so many muscles all affected to a degree and obviously depending on the whether the op is anterior or posterior will have a different effect but it lets everyone see what is involved and how they can help themselves.

• Posted

Hi jacqui, 

I like Patsy's response eventhough I so understand your frustration - I am so much longer post-op than you after 2 THR surgeries and my body/brain is still trying to walk properly - I was determined that I became rigid in my movements and developed trochanteric bursitis (  That is what I have been told) - I still walk like Frankenstein when I don't pay attention - stiff legs, flat footed ...not very attractive - I need to be aware to relax my body and sort of make it more fluid, if you know what I mean - without my cane I resemble a drunk person - 

so be more easy on your self - 

what kind of work do you do?

big warm hug and one step at a time, sweetheart ...

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee,

Oh goodness thats me!!! I look very drunk walking unaided and it's very uncomfortable. My hip feels weak I guess, that it's not ready to work just yet.

I'm a nurse advisor so I travel up to 160 miles a day to different hospitals. I'm on my feet the whole time I'm in a hospital with patients and sometimes need to be in theatre for hours at a time. I'm really worried, but then I'm a worrier anyway ??

I've spoken to my manager this morning, to be fair he is being fine. I have to have an appointment with occupational health before I am allowed to return to work anyway, but at the moment I cannot see me getting back at the 12 weeks mark.

I'm relaxing with my exercises today, I'm sure that is not helping some days.

I will keep posting so that if anyone else is worried about going back to work but doesn't feel ready then at least they can read it without looking too far back ??

Warm wishes

Jacqui xxx

• Posted

Hi Jacqui

i'm coming up to 11 weeks post op and have only just secured physio starting 23August ( the day I had hoped to go back to work) off till end of September and see that as more realistic. Crazy that we don't have it programmed in post op, surely it would save all the stress and worry that what we think is the right path is actually doing us good and not being detrimental!

I still take my stick out sometimes, especially if there might be lots of people around. No shame in feeling safe Hun, I still limp when tired, but do enjoy the local pool which is small warm and empty when I go early mornings to do the exercises. I think it's amazing that you're on a bike! Fantastic effort, keep it up and love yourself, just listen to you're own body.

take care xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.