Preds and Operation

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I have been on 40mg Preds a day for about 5 weeks now, because of finding GCA with the PMR : My Dr has asked me to drop 2.5 a day for 2 weeks, then another 2.5 for 2 weeks and so on. I have been now 4 days, a few aches and pains back, nothing serious. My question is, how long should we give it to settle after dropping the 2.5? or should it show straight away?

The reason she is doing this is that in about 4 weeks I am to have a breast cancer operation, and they want me to be ready as possible for that. But they also realize with GCA it is more important not to rush it.. I know healing and infection may be worse with the operation because of the Preds, but better than blindness :  Thanks for any advice for those who have had operations done while on Preds :

P.S I was very lucky with the breast cancer, caught at early stage and contained in milk duct. smile   mammogram ladies, have them done. 

Cheers

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dee, I'm not able to advise you here but I just wanted to wishi you the very best with your surgery. It's great that the tumour was caught so early. The GCA and PMR will settle in time. . . .   J

• Posted

Thank you Juno.much appreciate your well wishes :  Cheers
  • Posted

Dee,

This is my first post and although I am new to posting, I have been following this for many months.  I was diagnosed with pmr (not GCA) in May 2015 and was started on 15mg of prednisone.  My rheumotologist also wanted to exclude other possibilities so had me get a mammogram (I was a bit overdue for one) and colonoscopy.  I was quite shocked to find I had invasive breast cancer (which by the way is a sneaky kind that doesn't always show on mammograms).  So at the end of June 2015, I had a lumpectomy followed by radiation for 7 weeks.  I think at the time of the operation, I was at 12.5 mg prednisone.  During this whole period, I was in quite a stage of shock and bewilderment, so had no idea about any interaction between the prednisone and an operation and didn't know enough to even inquire. The doctor seemed to handle it all just fine.  I had no problems and the operation went well as did the healing although that might have taken a little bit longer, but not enough for there to be any concern. No infection either.

I know my case is different from yours, and I don't have GCA, but I thought a positive experience might boost your spirits.  In fact, although this sounds crazy, I am quite grateful for the pmr and the day I couldn't get out of bed, because that is what eventually found the breast cancer!!!

Good luck, and please post back on how things go.

• Posted

Hi anne57814 ,   Many thanks for your email . I will also be having a lumpectomy followed by radiation.  My rheumotologist also wanted to exclude other possibilities so had me get a mammogram ( mine was just weeks overdue, and I was very lucky it was found early.

I have full confidence all will go well for me: We have to stay positive, Right? smile  

Thank you again: Cheers Dea

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.