Carbonated drinks and Diverticular disease

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All

Forgive me if this a dumb question but are carbonated drinks( cola, lemonade or beers) a no no as far as this damned disease is concerned.

I have read so many conflicting dietary advice pieces, low/high fibre etc I thought it best to ask fellow sufferers.

I am still trying to get my head around being told that I need my sigmoid colon removed  ;o(

Any help /advice will be greatly recieved

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That is what "they" say. The thought is carbonation makes for gas which puts pressure on your colon. I find just keeping it very limited is ok.

• Posted

Thanks Kelly, i think I sort of gathered that but just wanted confirmation from actual sufferers. I need to arrange a sit down talk with GP/Surgeon as when told about the op, I really didn't take much in. I am already finding which foods are no good for me and have accepted mentally that I need the op cry

• Posted

I had the operation one year ago. It was an emergency and it was not pleasant. Had a temp ileostomy then another surgery to reverse that. I was trying to control it with diet etc. if you can have the surgery while you are well-do it!! Don't wait for an emergency. I had about 35 mm of sigmoid removed and I feel soooo much better than I have for years. Mine went undiagnosed for many years I believe because I was on the younger side(47) when my colon perforated. We attributed the bouts of pain to IBS. I still follow most of the dietary rules by my choice. I do not want to find out in a few years I have pockets again. Hope you get the surgery under elective circumstances????

• Posted

Hi Kelly

sorry to hear that you needed emergency surgery for this issue. How long did your recovery take? It took me about 3months to get back to normal after donating a kidney via keyhole surgery. Do you feel better for having that section removed? I am told it will be the whole sigmoid colon out and temporary stoma. Some people say the stoma reversal was worse than the colon removal did you find that?

Sorry for all the questions but I do appreciate your help

I have had a talk with family and have decided I will go for it, there seem to be too many horror stories about putting things off and having emergency surgery instead

Steve

• Posted

When I was having problems with the disease before my colonectomy (10.5" of sigmoid removed) I avoided anything carbonated.  The gas accumulation was almost as painful as the flare up of the disease.  Since removal I drink them on occasion with no problems.  

Hope this helps a little.  As devastating as the surgery sounds I know several people who've had the surgery and wouldn't go back.  I'm one of them but alas, I has issues.  But I'm not normal.  LOL  Good luck on your journey.

• Posted

Thanks Lucy

it does help biggrinI wouldn't say I was classed as normal, by anyone who knows me

I donated my right kidney about ten years ago, should have been the left but more blood vessels than normal connected to the left cry That left a complication that required further surgery. Not looking forward to more surgery but of a mind now that it has to be done.

Hope your complications are soon at an end

• Posted

All of my issues are pretty much at bay except for the bouts with diahrrea.  When I finally figure out how to control that I will be home free.  

I feel really good now and not having the belly cramps really helps with that.  I do refuse to let the  diahrrea keep me home but I do always make sure I know where the bathroom is everywhere I go.  I am going to live my life on the go until I can't go any longer.  Have an acquaintance who after her removal and resection just sat down and and let the diahrrea dictate the rest of her life.  She thinks it's a life sentence of sitting around smoking cigaretts and drinking beer and that her life is over.  So sad.

It's important to keep a stiff upper lip and keep looking up.  You will be stronger than you ever thought but you probably already know that.  

Keep on swinging.  lol  

• Posted

The cramps I have had since boxing day, more or less continous and of varying severity. Diahorrea has been more of an issue than constipation over this time. I have found certain foods crease me up nuts, seeds, red onion, mushrooms, sweet potatoes sad

antibiotics did not help (amoxiclav), co-codamol did not help with pain. Have managed to avoid hospital for now, but CT scan last month showed  much scarring and inflamation and a pouch intefrering with a blood vessel

Surgeon believes the whole sigmoid colon needs to come out, ( think he is looking for a Christmas bonus) I am not keen on further surgery but it must be better than constant cramps

I try to keep my upper lip stiff, though I am not sure swinging is on the cards lol

Take Care and thanks for your helpful words

Steve

• Posted

DIARRHEA - I never could spell that word.   I'm just going to call it the "quick step" as some days it's that or have an accident.  

You will do well Steve.  Good luck and keep me posted.   

• Posted

LoL it's a sh*t word to spell hahaha.

Sorry but I am a Scouser and cannot resist humour biggrin nor will I back down from a fight, so this Disease has picked the wrong person twisted( though it has won the first few rounds)

Have been catching up on some of your other posts and replies, you are an Inspirational Lady

Think the these forums and the fellow posters and sufferers are a Godsend to those of us new to this damnable diease. I hope I can contribute is some small way

• Posted

I knew I was sick but my daughter who is a L&D RN didn't tell me just how bad I was until it was over.  Apparently I was in pretty bad shape from the leakages and blockages (are there really any such words?).  When they got these under control I got well.  There are so many people who have this surgery who never have another symptom and they heal up and everything goes back to normal.  That is my prayer for you Steve.  

Like Kelly said, don't wait too long.  Do it while you are strong and can fight it off.  

I too have a crazy sense of humor and will always laugh if at all possible.  But I will run from a fight, unless I know I can win.  Would hate to fight and find out I was wrong about what I was fighting.  lol

• Posted

You have stood and fought this thing, I hope I do as well as you.

I will have the surgery, from the surgeon has said it is when not if, so I have decided the sooner the better.

Not looking forward to the stoma even if it is temporary, but have already figured on a name for it, will name it Mike after somebody in my life who I regard as a little "sh*tbag" twisted

I think a great sense of humour will be key to getting through this lol

• Posted

Be prepared and take good care of your stoma and the skin around it.  It is vitally important to do that.  You will experience very emotion in the book, from cussing, screaming and yelling to crying because you think you can't do it.  But you can, I promise you.  Let someone help you if they can.  Oh and remember the Vick's.  A swipe under your nose will keep the odor at bay until you adjust to it.  No one will know that part but you.  Empty regularly to avoid leakage. I'll tell you my tricks of the trade to adjusting and the laughter involved.  Some of my funniest moments were in the shower and using the Vick's.  Laughed till I cried.  I have a incognito facebook page.  Rikki Nix, Cherryhill, NJ.  Go there and I'll give you or anyone else who reads this the info.  I don't want to get too detailed on here.  Not sure what the rules are about that much detail.

• Posted

Hi Lucy, appreciate an open forum may be a bit stricter, I have contacted you via facebook

Thanks again

Steve

• Posted

Coca-cola is the only version of caffeine that I can drink anymore. Coffee sends me into a flare. It helps calm my stomach, and so does ginger ale. :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.