11 Weeks out and Jogging! Little push off.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi!

I had surgery May 26..it's now been 11 weeks since surgery and my doctor gave me the official clearance today to start jogging AND driving!  Sooo psyched! BTW, I ruptured my right achilles tendon and I had the minimal invasive surgery and I'm 39 years old and was very physically active prior to injury doing bootcamps and dancing semi professionally up to injury.  My scar is almost nonexistant at this point.

In terms of working out I can do everything for the most part except for free weights till I get better and I can jog only on the treadmill no incline...slowly for like 15 minutes.

Anyhow, I attempted to jog across the street to the subway station because it was about to rain and I had little push off on my right foot.  How long did it take you to get push off on your leg once you started jogging?  I don't expect for me to be like I was before injury at this point but wondering. 

Oh my gosh i'm driving! yippee!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Wow, that's great to hear. I'm 12 weeks post op, driving for the last two weeks and walking my dogs twice a day again, but not ready for jogging.

Can you independent calf raises on your repaired tendon? 

Well done. Great to hear how well this can heal with careful, but assertive management. Enjoy...

• Posted

No I can not do independent calf raises yet.  Although I attempted a few today but they were really low and i was supporting myself.  Dont get it twisted though...i'm not jogging major.  I'm only allowed to jog on flat surface on the treadmill slowly at a max of 10-15 min.  I haven't done it yet because haven't had time. will do so this weekend.  although I did do some quick stepping and a short jog to run to the train station.  i had no lift on my right leg...but that's how it will be to start i guess.  but my doctor is aggressive with his recovery so he wants me to jog now.  felt good to do a few quick steps.

• Posted

Well done to you and fantastic news indeed.

Can I ask when you started your physiotherapy?

• Posted

I started physical therapy 14 days after surgery although my surgeon was angry that the physical therapist couldn't fit me at the 10 day mark.

• Posted

My doctor works with nfl, nhl, and baseball athletes.  His job is to get them up and going as quickly and as healthily as possible..millions dollars on the line with them.  So he has an aggressive approach and uses newer techniques to get them up and going faster.  This is why I picked him. So I think his aggressiveness in his approach has helped me get to this point faster than the norm....but again...i'm not running marathons.  I'm running only on a treadill because it's a soft surface and it's flat. no incline at 10-15 min maximum.  I attempted a jog yesterday to run to the train station and I had no lift on my right leg which scared me...so I will be doing slow jogs as i get my strength back...every little bit helps.  he says i'll be dancing again by october which will be 5 months since surgery!!  he is confident.  i'm not...of course.  i think it will be more like 6-9 months but i will be positive and keep doing what he says.

• Posted

Wow that's great recovering time. Do you think it is because of having surgery or not ? I didn't have Surgury, I don't regret it because that jut gave me something else to stress about with healing. All the bad stories seems to just stick in your mind.

When you say driving, were you not tempered to take boot off and drive at all in the very late stages ?

Only can get better for you from here on in. Congrats

• Posted

I firmly believe it is due to surgery and the type of surgery i had, and the doctor I have.  I'm a semi pro dancer and avid bootcamper..well not now while i heal of course.  I briefly thought about no surgery but for someone of my activity level, surgery was a necessity.  I was too nervous when i found out that recovery time is not as great for the non-surgical route.  In addition, I was a great candidate for the "minimal invasive technique" which is what I wanted.

NO I was not able to drive at all the entire time with boot and without boot.  Last week I was told to start practicing pressing the gas, brakes and cluth (I drive stick) while the car was off just to get use to it again.  My physical therapy helped me prepare for it.  I have driven yet because I haven't had time.  But I will this weekend and see how it goes.  I won't drive the highways yet...I'm too nervous for that now...but will drive to the grocery store and around the neighborhood to get use to it again. 

• Posted

correction to typo sorry--- i have NOT driven yet...but will drive this weekend.
    • Posted

I just had my first ortho appointment today (4 weeks post op) no surgery option.

He was very happy with my range of movement and strength I have now, I have been doing little things myself at home since a little over the 2 and a half week mark to help get the movement going. I also have been weight bearing the last week as I felt ready. Just for short brief walks around the house.

He said happy to start to weight bare with aid of crutches and can remove for sleeping and showering from now ( which I steady have been doing for the last week anyway)

2 more weeks in the boot and then happy for me to remove all together at my own discretion. After boy removed said to continue walking with crutches until I feel ready without them.

I start physio tomorrow and which I am excited about to help start to gain some extra movement and strength back.

Can't wait to start driving again, be interesting to see if ready for that in two or so weeks when I remove boot completely.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.