Blood in Toilet(Possible TMI...)

Posted , 5 users are following.

Sorry in advance for the TMI, but I wanted to ask the people here diagnosed wit diverticulosis if you have experienced frequent bleeding from your rectum. (I told you it was TMI) Frequent as in 1-2 times a month, and not just when having a bowel movement. (happens during urination) This has been happening to me usually lasting 24-48 hours, and the conclusion my GI doctor comes to is that I have another infection(diverticulitis) and puts me on the usual meds/antiobiotics. I called to ask what the long term plan was, and asked for a phone call back but was instead instructed to come in for an apppoinment. I don't want to keep going in for a $200 office visit only to be told to avoid seeds and nuts, liquid diet, eat more fiber, take antibiotics. I was hoping someone has a similar story or experience and could tell me what your story is/was. I would greatly appreciate your input as I am thinking about getting a second opinion. 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Fitz, sound like a second opinion is indeed a good idea.  I haven't had any of the bleeding so I can't address that portion of your post but for sure get a second opinion.  So sorry you are going through this but just know it's much brighter on the other side when you are all healed up.  Good luck.  

• Posted

Thank you Lucy. My appointment is tomorrow morning, so I will see if she says anything different then.
  • Posted

Well she wants to run more tests to see if I have Crohn's or UC. She thinks it may have been in remission when I had my colonoscopy. Developed decent sized internal hemorroids, so that's awesome. I guess i'll post what happens after my radiology appointments. Send good vibes. o.0

• Posted

We had a friend with simmilar issue,he has Diverticuloiis,but his bleeding was from his internal hemeroid,hi GI went and removed them and his bleeding has stoped, but I agree with LucyB53  I think it is time to get a second ooinion,the one you are going too does not seem as concered about the rectal bleeding, and All The GI we went to said to come in immedeatly if that happrned, I hope you find one that is willing to take it seriuosly and get you on the road to recovery,but you will alway have to controll your symtoms with diet & figure out what triggers the and avoid them , Best of Luck to you for a speedy recovery

• Posted

Thank you for your comment. I went in for the ct scan this morning recommended by my original GI. I feel she is concerned something that didn't come up in my colonoscopy, so I will trust her for the time being. I will post updates when I hear back from her as this is the weekend, so she is not working.

• Posted

Hey Ftiz, hope you feel better soon.  The CT will reveal enough information that she will be able to tell you what is going on.  

• Posted

Unfortunately, the CT scan didn't show anything. That might be good too though. Waiting for her to review the x-rays. Hopefully we're coming to a diagnosis here soon, so I can get medication and live a normal life.

• Posted

Good Afternoon Fitz, 

I hope they find what is causing your issues & start treating them or cure them, We are embarking in a different direction in the frustration of the medical field, now we are dealing with "fevers of unknow Origin" that turned our to be anaplasmosis from a tick bite, that we think caused a the high fever that put my husband in bed for 3 days, resulting in dehydration/extreme lowering of his blood pressure, since no one in 10 years + ever told him if he got a high fever for more than a day or two, he should Discontinue Blood Pressure Meds, because dehydration Naturaly lowers blood pressure[fun fact to find out in a crisis] , he then got pnemonia, probably from beinging in bed for 3 days with fever, it a nightmare circle of confusing& conflicting information AARRRGGG sad

• Posted

Hey MM, hope the hubby is doing better.  Keep an eye on the docs and nurses.  If there are more than one working on either of you sometimes the left hand doesn't know what the right one is doing and you will get so many conflicting statements from them.  You would think with computers today that you would have notes added to your file from their visits so they all could keep up on your progress or lack there of.  At some point someone could have an EURIKA! !  moment and find the magic cure or at least healing for the moment.  

Chin up MM.  We are here if you need us.

• Posted

Unfortunately I know all too well about the right not talking to the left,I have dealt with too many doctors since I was 15, I am now in my mind 50s, I harassed the doc into giving me the info I needed,and my husband is recovering ,but it has taken a told on him,best news is the meds they gave him did not hurt his kidneys,and it seems like the asnaplasmois is cured,along with the pneumonia,he has just been put back on all his blood pressure meds,along with yet another,Dalton a secondary blood thinner that is surpassed to prevent clot and strokes, I M not happy that the docs seem not to. Be or say negative things about each h other, so it is up to us to make sure their treatment don't conflict still very frustrate with most of the medical field,,seems insurance companies have made doctors care more about money than patient care 😤

• Posted

sad I'm so sorry to hear this. I get notifications by email when someone responds, but it's so slow on my phone that I can't respond until I'm on a computer. I hope he is doing better. It's strange, but I rarely get fevers/head colds and I am constantly dealing with GI issues. I know what you mean about the doctors caring more about the money now more than ever. It's tough to have to start all over again with a new doctor, but sometimes necessary. Anyways, I am waiting for the results of the most recent x-rays. I post an update when I hear back from the doctor. :-/

• Posted

Definitely get a second opinion. The source of the bleeds needs to be throughly investigated. You cannot assume it is diverticulitis. It could be Crohns for example. I have both. It can also be any number of other conditions.

You need a colonoscopy for a start to have a good look at the large bowel.

All the best.

• Posted

I'm still waiting to get the results of the new tests she just ordered. She ordered a CT Scan and barium x-rays. CT Scan showed nothing. It was normal. I just had the x-ray done this morning, so I don't know if that will show anything different, but she should have the results by Monday morning. I don't know how you were diagnosed with Crohn's but I had a colonoscopy done last september that showed diverticulitis, and a benign growth. No IBD. Then I started having symptoms again with blood and she ordered these tests because no amount of medicine was keeping me on my feet, so to speak. Neither of us think it's diverticulitis right now, so I'm glad she's on the same page as me. I expressed my concern about shrugging it off and just giving antibiotics and she agreed that was a bad idea. So I will give her another chance. She did say that the colonoscopy doesn't show the upper GI, so Crohn's could be undetected. 

How did your doctor find Crohn's if you don't mind my asking.

• Posted

Im sort of new to this. But have experienced bleeding as well and from what I have read and from what my GI tells me is that yes bleeding can occur in cases of diverticulitis not just asymptomatic diverticulosis. Seems that the difference between the two is blood amount and whether inflammation is involved. Diverticulosis tends to cause a lot of blood loss spontaneously without any pain and has no inflammation associated with it. Diverticulitis may bleed in varying amounts but has inflammation associated with it. For me I had bright red occur in enough of an amount to settle at bottom of toilet and it occured seperate from any stool about three times then stopped. Since it appears to lightly streak movements and does it intermittently. GI says its diverticulitis related. My doc says possibly roid related. Go figure. Two meatheads on different thinking spectrums. Had colonoscopy screening Nov. 2014 with a normal colon diagnosis. By April 2016 I was having issues where ct with and without iv contrast showed nothing but sigmoid diverticulosis. No diverticulitis. GI thinks its smoldering diverticulitis.
    • Posted

Yes, you are right. when I had symptoms after my diagnosis last September, my GI suggested taking antibiotics which actually helped. So we thought it was another infection. However, my symptoms kept coming back, so I decided to follow suggestions of other people in the forum of going on a clear diet, etc. because the doctors will just keep giving antibiotics which we all know is bad. I expressed this concern to her and I'm having more tests done. I don't know what is going on with me but, I think it's more likely that the blood was coming from a hemorrhoid. However that doesn't explain the frequent bowel upset. I wish there was an easy answer. However, I would recommend to you since you are new to this to really research online some options you have with your disease. There are a lot of really helpful posts on here about foods to avoid, etc. Also, I have found people are very helpful if you have questions. It never hurts to know what other people have been through. Everyone is different biologically. Best of luck to you.

• Posted

Thank you Fritz. Yeah Im thinking it was a burst internal roid that caused my bleeding on July 13 that had a moderate amount to it. Then the streaking is from that same roid in amounts enough to streak off of the movements now. But off and on. Not all movements have it. Plus I can actually feel the roids now. They slowly began to show themselves since the 13th of July. I think I had an intermal which you dont feel burst and has bleed some since and is now begining to present itself externally which I feel the tell tale signs of plus can actually touch it when cleaning before it tucks back in. As for my on going bowel pains. I think it could very well be divertivulitis related as my WBC was up at the time the first and only big bleed occured. The diverticulitis attack set off the roids I think. Keep us posted on your eventual results. I am curious about UC being a culprit as well on my end. Nothing says you cant have UC and diverticulosis at the same time.
    • Posted

Thank you for your concern about my huspand, he is almost 100% recovered,still get tired easiley , but thats to be expected. 

?What I am worried about is you , I know that it is hard to start over with a new doctor, but that new doctor can give you a released to sign,and you records [the ones they don't want to give to us, makes me wonder what they are hiding] any way your new doctor will have no problem getting the records from your old doctor, and know what test you have had and the results, and you will have to explain to them all you have been through[ i find writting it all down then editing all the redundant or irelevant items and so when you sqeak with them they will not get bog down with too much info or worse loose interest or focuse on you problems,but through a lifetime of very ill family & friends I have learned , NOT all Doctors Got A's in in Doctor school, Some got C's but can still be doctors cause they passed, Very Scarry, I am always on the look out for the Docs with A adverages , who will also take time to see you a person not a chart #.So Please if you do not find answers with this new one, please research and find a better doctor, Many sites rate docs, so you can get info right from there patients, also you can reseach if & how long ago they where board certified in their field, you can also find out if any law suits or malpractice has been filed on them, and how the hospitals they are affiliated with rate, believe it or not, Often if they are affiliated with good hospitals it is a sign they are good and possible great, most hospitals are run more like businesses than health care, and they frown apon there reputation being tarnished by Bad doctors, I wish you luck in finding out what is causing your problems, and then of couse I hope they can cure you or at least treat your most troubling symptoms, GN Meily

• Posted

You are too kind. I appreciate your thoughtfulness and concern. I will keep my options open, and post updates from my current GI. I wish your husband to feel well and you in good health. Talk to you soon. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.