How to identify potential trigger foods

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm currently trying to identify whether any foods make my IBS symptoms worse but I'm not quite sure how to pinpoint exactly.

If you ate a food that was a problem, how soon after do you think you would feel the effects?

I should mention my IBS is constipation predominant so I do not get any dashes to the loo as a result of eating anything in particular. I have low level pain all the time and then every so often it will get worse for a few days to a week.

This will probably sound a silly question, but does to particular food have to reach your colon to trigger symptoms? As I've always wondered how people can be affected so quickly after eating something. It must have some effect earlier in the digestive tract? Would this contribute to pain?

Sorry so many questions - just trying to work out how it works really!

Many thanks.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Anything which feeds the bad bacteria in your gut causes excess gas.. So you want easy to digest foods which get digested before they even make it that far.. You also want to make sure you chew your food properly and get a digestive enzyme to help break the foods down..

How is your weight if you don't mind me asking?

• Posted

Thank you - come to think of it I do tend to eat quite quickly so maybe that is adding to the problem with gas etc.

My weight isn't very good - I'm underweight on the BMI scale. I don't eat an awful lot really as my appetite is very poor and the pain makes me feel rubbish. I'm a 24yo female.

• Posted

I definitely think foods have a different triggers, I cant have dairy products and I do feel slightly better for it.
    • Posted

Yes I've heard dairy is a common trigger. Glad you feel a bit better for cutting it out smile

• Posted

Yes I've heard dairy is a common trigger. Glad you feel a bit better for cutting it out smile

• Posted

You need to keep a food and symptom diary, then after a few weeks you can compare thing eg. Every time you had cereal with milk for breakfast you got gassy later in the day etc.
  • Posted

Hi

I have taken a yes spoonful of Black Strap Molasses at night for constipation in the past, worked like a miracle overnight for me.

It's natural, full of B vitamins and pottassium and you can get in health food stores.

I have also tried going for walks as exercise gets things moving.

Hope you find something that helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.