Tablets cause depression/anxiety

Posted , 6 users are following.

Since taking the tablets I've started to feel very depressed and anxious. I increasingly noticed feeling anxious with a tight chest an hour or so after taking the tablets and i can't attribute it to anything else. I have a job i enjoy, loving husband, no money worries... nothing to make me feel that way.

When I thought about it, I started about a week after taking the tablets. I couldn't stop crying, didn't want to get out of bed and wanted to dissappear.

I've been off them nearly a week and can feel an imp already, so i genuinely think it was the tablets.

Anyone else felt like this?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Anxiety is one of the side effects, reading the literature. I'm new to Orlistat but have suffered from severe anxiety and depression in the past so hoping it doesn't hit me. 

Are you still taking them now? 

• Posted

No, I stopped as soon as I realised what could be causing it. I'm starting to feel like my old self again.

Hope they are successful for you.

• Posted

No way!

I'm on anti depressants and my doctor spoke to me in length weeks before giving me these. She wouldn't have suggested them if this was the case. I think you are looking for another reason why you are feeling this.

• Posted

I'm not looking for another reason, started feeling that way when I started taking them, and gradually getting better now I'm not.

Everyone is different and will react in different ways. Depression and anxiety are side effects as in the leaflet, but not common.

Guess I'm just unlucky. Hope they are successful for you.

• Posted

Hi, my friend and i started on this medication within weeks of each other, she has sufferd the side effects similar to yours she has never suffered with depression previously, she has now come off the medication. I have suffered none of the side effects and continue on them. 

Not all of us beautiful voluptuous ladies are depressed about it rolleyes 

Good luck on your journey x 

• Posted

I feel the same exact way with Orlistat. Now that I read your comment I feel better knowing its an external factor causing my SEVERE anxiety.

• Posted

hi honey

i m on pregabalin and i wanted to lose a bit if weight so my g p gave me orlistat .. no mention of any side effects apart from oily stools which as i dont eat a lot of fat i thought i would be able to cope with but boy oh boy i wasnt made aware of rhe other symptoms. first day of taking it my whole body was itching and i dodnt lnow why so i had an oatmeal bathand had an early night.. Second day i woke with a feeling of impending doom but didnt know why i was also sweating my body aching and i felt exhausted but thinking i was coming down with a virus i continued to take orlistat.. i woke this morning to mh whole body aching drenched in sweat and my anziety levels are through the roof..! i feel like i cant breathe also my chest is so tight .. i just came across your post and thank god that i have as i thought i was dying.. ive thrown them in the bin and im mow drinking copious amounts of water to try and flush my system thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.