2 weeks post ob bunion sugery and my calf muscle has all but disappeared

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had bunion removal 2 weeks ago and omg the pain! Id prefer child birth to the first week of pain I inured! I still cannot apply any presure to my foot and am unable to wiggle my toes or tense my calf muscle at all! Ive read that some people are unable to move tbeir toes but im yet to read any comments in regards to peoples calf muscle. Is it normal? My calf has completely deteriorated and im left with what looks like a flap of skin. Im teally concerned as its only been 2 weeks, I cant imagine what it will be like in another 4!

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hiya nisshia1985. Your recovery time will depend (as well as age and fitness etc) on what type of surgery you had done, if you don't know then find out and you'll be able to get a better idea. I had scarf and akin osteotomy on both feet at once and was in considerable pain, I needed the painkillers for a week. My calf and thigh muscles withered and my skin also got very dry. I am now at 10 weeks since the op and walking (limping), it doesn't take long to build up the muscles in your legs again. I spent a lot of time with my feet elevated and still do occasionally, my surgeon said this helps bring down the swelling, some of which I still have. I can recommend gently massaging your feet with a natural oil, I use coconut oil, it helps with the scar tissue, stiffness and, when you're allowed, you can manipulate your toe joint to get it moving again. Best of luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Hello Nisshia. Sorry to hear that you too are having problems. My calf muscles became very hard and painful during the first two weeks which I think was caused by having my feet up on two cushions night and day and I was straining them. I ease them by rubbing a massage oil into them. So afraid I can"t help with your particular problem. Are you able to contact your surgeon or nurse by phone. Xx

• Posted

Hi Nisshia

Don't worry too much. These muscles grow back quickly once you start walking again.

A few years ago I had an accident and was non weight bearing on crutches for 11 weeks. Only took few weeks for my leg to look normal again.

I am 15 days post op from bunion surgery too and my calf muscle has also disappeared.

Best of luck ??

• Posted

I am sorry to tell you it is a very long process. Yes, you are write it is worse than childbirth. But, In the very end you will be happy.

I had my Bunion and hammer toes surgery almost 4 months ago. I was not allowed to walk on the foot for almost 8 weeks. and then 2 weeks to walk on the heal only. I used a knee scooter to get around.. I still have some shooting pain and swelling. I am told that the swelling can last as long as a year. I also have pain in the toe and numbness inmy foot. I am told there is a light at the end of the tunnel. so hang i there. 

• Posted

My calf muscles lessened bc of not walking and using it as much as I normally would. But muscle has good memory to bounce back and form. I couldn't wiggle my toes for at least 6 weeks. My hallux, the big toe, was still stiff I'm 10 weeks one foot and 13 the other and the range of motion is still not 100 %. It going to take a few more months for that. Everyone heals at the own pace due to age and or physical health. Hope ur healing well and good luck

• Posted

Are things a bit better now? week 3 I felt my toes only tips but feeling smile then started to try and use just one crutch to do basic walking...toilet and back! and while sat elevated from week 2 rotated ankle to keep muscles/ligaments and muscles exercised. My good leg is going to be so strong taking all the weight,right leg(surgery foot) is lagging a bit behind but its not forever smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.