TIA

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was admitted to hospital with a suspected mini stroke however I had an mri and ct scan and nothing showed up on the scans . can anyone tell me if it was a mini stroke would it have showed up on the scans xxx

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joyce - quick answer would be 'not always' - a mini stroke is a TIA - Transient Ischeemic Attack - the operative word being 'transient' ie not permanent.  A TIA does not last as long as a stroke. The effects often only last for a few minutes or hours and fully resolve within 24 hours. It is therefore quite difficult in some cases to determine if it has been a TIA or not, depending on how long the effects lasted in each individual case or whether treatment was sought before the effects subsided.  Best bet would be to question your doctors as to their view on whether you did have a TIA or if not, what else they think might have caused the symptoms.

• Posted

Hi ive been having mini strokes too and mine didn't show either it effected my speech my right side my brain cognitive function is only 25 % I've got a speech inpediment when I had one of my mini strokes tia what ever they wish to call it I rang stroke association they said the reason it's not showing on the scan is because by the time they scan you the clot has moved all this stuff started happening a year ago I've had no support passd from one to another and finally diagnosed with promoxal a fib which means an irregular heart beat and I'm in fear of having a major stroke so I'm on blood thinners and heart tablets hope this has helped take care jo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.