Decay teeth and horrible breath

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, 

I am in desparate need of your help, I lost my mom a few months ago and cant stand the sign of doctors and hospitals and my teeth is giving me hell, I know, I have to take it out cause it has a bad smell and bleeds sometimes but I dont feel readY to go to the dentist, I went but I couldnt just do it, what can I take for my teeth and the bad smell till I am ready to face my fear........ 

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sad sad 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Sorry about your mum. Tuff blow.

If you are smelling decay and bleeding it is very likely you have an infection. Call your dentist and tell them of the infection and they will call in a prescription of antibiotics to a pharmacy of your choice.

They can't work on the tooth until the infection is taken care of. This will make you feel better and buy you some time before you decide to go in.

Your dentist will want to book an appointment when you call, like 3 days to a week after you start taking the drugs. Make one. U can push the appointment if you start to feel better, but I wouldn't keep pushing that long.

The infection will return and you will be at risk of it spreading to your sinuses, ears, eyes, and brain.

It can become a very very ugly thing.

Be brave my friend. Take the plunge and go in.

Your mum would want you to do it.

• Posted

ben,

Usually, a dentist won't just call in a prescription of antibiotics before you are seen by them first.  So, an appointment MUST be made and work can be done and will be done to take care of the infection while at the same time giving you a course of antibiotics (most likely amoxicillin) to take while healing.

2 weeks ago, I developed a horrible infection/abcess and had to see and endodontist on an emergency basis.  He HAD to work on the tooth first to clean out the bacteria within the tooth (in the canals, etc.) and to also see if he could save the tooth after the healing of the infection.

Because of all the loss of bone, the tooth cannot be saved, and altho the infection is gone (for now); it will flare up again at any given time.  I'm putting off the inevitable (extracting the tooth) because it feels OK, but as you said, it will return-it could be tomorrow, it could be next year which is why I'm putting it off.  Just want to make sure i can  have an implant  in place of that tooth because it's a very big molar.

• Posted

sma

i'm confused about your fear.  Is it because you can't stand seeing Dr. right now because of your mom? or is because you're just afraid of going to the dentist.  Sometimes, there is just one thing that can help relieve the pain that a toothache brings and first get a prognisis (either it can be saved or extracted).

You still have to take care of yourself, even if Drs./Dentists trigger some sadness about your mom.  I'm in a similar situation except my fear is of having a tooth extracted (which is my prognosis).  It feels fine now, but is a ticking time bomb and will flare up again.  I can't bring myself to do it when it's feeling ok .... that's MY fear - just losing yet another tooth sad

• Posted

I believe that the only way to deal with this is to GO THROUGH THE FEAR and get to a dentist.  I used to have the same fear years ago and developed serious gum disease and finally just had to see a dentist.  I was honest about my fear and the dentist and his assistants were very compassionate and walked me slowly through treatment, explaining everything they were doing.  Perhaps if you call and discuss your fears on the phone first with the dentist you choose you will feel less anxiety.

I am suffering from severe abcesses at the moment and don't wish this condition on anyone!  I urge you to come up with a solution and get your mouth looked at asap.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.