New to Propranolol - can I skip it on the weekends?

Posted , 2 users are following.

My doctor prescribed me to three 20 mg doses of Propranolol a day (as needed) however, during the week (m-f) I normally take that dosage.

Side note: I normally take one at 8 am, one at around 11 am, and then on at around 2 pm. So it is more early in the day than later, but I find I really only need them during work hours and if I take them too late I have trouble sleeping. Is this ok? 

Anyway, during the weekend, I don't have use for them and don't need them. It really is only at work where I have panic attacks. To be fair, I do sometimes have panic attacks at home (they come on randomly) however, I can deal with them there because I am not confined to an office and I am more free to react how I need to. They aren't as scary at home. I have a hold on them there. 

Anyway, my question is:

I've read that you aren't supposed to abruptly go off this medication as that can cause some problems. If I consistently don't take them over the weekend, then is that ok? Or am I really messing my body up...

Thank you in advance for your help!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello meghan, I used to have it prescribed for anxiety as well. If you doctor says "as needed", that means it would not have to be taken regularly. So I think it would be totally fine to take it only at the office. I used to take 40mg, 1 tablet a day, and then stopped taking it as I did not have anxiety any more. Now I am back to it for my heart problem, arrhythmia due to AF, mainly!!!

• Posted

Hi Megan.

I had this exact same question since I am doing the same as you are. According to my doctor and my dad who is a trained physician specializing in medicine for 30 years this should not be an issue at such low doses. As long as you're healthy and doesn't suffer from anything like diabetes, heart problems, etc.

• Posted

Thank you so much! No heart problems or diabetes that I know of. I'm young enough/work out so typically when I go in for checkups I'm in good health... but it's nice to know that I can put my mind at ease! Thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.