Severe pain toward lower abdominal for 2-3 hrs on first day of my period

Posted , 4 users are following.

About 3 months back I started severe pain toward lower abdominal, we didn't know what it was, my BP went low, started sweating and could not able to bare a pain so my husband called 911, ambulance came and took me to emergency but they had me waited and after 2hrs, pain was all gone, yet had hard time to urinate for few hours and started my period same day.. Ultrasound shows I have a 2.5 cm cyst on my left ovary. My doctor doesn't believe there is anything can be done for pain but I am having that 2-3 hrs of severe pain on first day of my period and What do I do

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had this exact same thing happen a few weeks ago. Pain for months in pelvic region. Period cramps were so severe felt similar to pains during labor. Blacked out, couldn't catch my breath, heart rate very high and fever. Went to the ER they saw the 5cm cyst from a CT scan and acted like their was nothing that could be done. Made an appointment with my OBGYN and he believed the cyst was twisting around my ovary and that is what caused me to black out. He decide to remove the cyst through laparoscopic surgery. While removing the cyst he found the start of endometriosis and remove it by cauterizing it. I know exactly how you feel, the pain comes and goes. Everytime I would get to a medical facility it would go away so it was much more difficult for them to understand. I knew something wasn't right with my body. After going to a Doctor, ER and Ultrasound Tech I was finally advised to see an OBGYN who finally listened to my symptoms and took action. Since the cyst was twisting around my ovary he said it was a ticking time bomb, when the cyst twist it cuts off blood flow to your ovary, if the blood flow is cut off for a significant amount of time it can cause the ovary to die and result in loss of your ovary. I'm by no means a doctor but just thought I would share my story, I spent hours online looking for someone to relate to so I very much feel your pain! Most article do say cyst are normal and typically go unnoticed but there are some times they do require medical attention! Best wishes to you, hope you get everything figured out and get to feeling normal again!

• Posted

Thank you so much Jessie for detail. And I am so glad you r feeling better. I visited OBGYN and he said there is nothing needs to be done since your pain is only couple hours and it's only on first day of your PMS, Dr. said nothing to worry.

How long you went through severe pain and how did you find out it was twisting? How often you was getting pain in a month? How long the surgery was?

• Posted

I'm sorry that you're dealing with this.

I am recovering from my surgery ... been very tough as it was my remaining ovary that was taken over by a complex cyst. They removed it...

No cancer.

The emotions that I'm feeling now are hard to explain. I should be happy..no cancer.... but I feel very confused. Is my life going to be shorter now? Heart disease, Diabetes.....Parkinsonshe?

I just turned 50... I never expected this...

I'm sad.

• Posted

Emily,

I had a sudden hysterectomy at 49 due to 15cm cysts on both ovaries as the result of severe endometriosis. After having vague symptoms for years and seeing Drs. for months and being dismissed, I went for my annual gynecological visit and was thrown into a 2 week whirlwind being told I was going to die.

Post surgery I was told I had a total hysterectomy but not cancer. Even though the explanation made sense I was still thrown when the surgeon countered my concerns with "you don't need those anymore". I was grateful to not have cancer but was immediately depressed too. I realized I was in mourning. Mourning the loss of my womanhood, the irrational (at my age possibility of another child lost, the inevitable symptoms of menopause, and a sense of betrayal. (Would a male surgeon blindly accept the removal of his prostate for a benign condition?)

But I gave myself permission to mourn. During recovery I cried, I journaled, I slept. My female friends did not empathize, only a few I met later who had a hysterectomy understood. Many others did not and were grateful to not have periods anymore.

But as the symptoms of menopause hit hard I started walking, by the river in the park. The walking cleared my head and I began to see beauty again. I too wondered if it would shorten my life, time will tell but I decided I needed to appreciate and focus on the blessings in my life. My daughter's wedding was just 3 months post surgery and we had many things to finalize so that helped a lot. I sank again after the wedding but that passed fairly quickly. I have suffered from depression ever since puberty and I have found it much easier to manage.

I did get hit hard by all of the menopause symptoms but making a choice to stay active has helped alot. Along with a good fan. ;-)

You're still recovering so give it time. Talk to your Dr. about hormone replacement. Walk, feed your spirit. Do the things you enjoy more often, be good to yourself. Accept the loss because we know we can't go back. Reward yourself. Make a bucket list. I have found giving myself permission to do the things I used to say "I'll get around to it" very uplifting. I now live my life with intention and still seeking my purpose. Volunteering has helped me see how I have been blessed in ways I didn't expect. My life has turned out much different than I'd hoped but way better than I thought it would.

Longevity runs in my family so I plan to as well and in the mean time look for the silver lining.

Give yourself time, but make the choice to move forward and find the joy.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your story with me I'm doing okay. Feel a lot of pain when I move suddenly. I know it will get better. I have not felt any of the extreme symptoms of surgical menopause yet. I think maybe I rushed into this surgery because I was scared that my complex cyst would become cancerous eventually. I think I had the cyst for a long time right ovary 20 years ago and I never in a million years thought that I would lose other ovary. Hope I can mentally get through this because my family does not want to see me like this anymore. I went out today for a drive to get a few things done and it did help me temporarily. I want to thank you again for sharing what you went through. I write again when my state of is a bit better...ttake care and thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.