it not to bad or other wise.I need to have one done

& I'm petrified,I can't even watch when I need a 

blood test although I don't mind having this done

as it doesn't hurt.

Thanks....

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It probably will hurt. Be sure you get it done under fluoroscopy or ultrasound so it is guided. A huge percentage (about a third) of the ones done in the doctor's office miss their mark. When I had it done (last one was in 2007) they first injected a couple of anaesthetics, then the steroid and enough saline to fill the capsule. Even with the local anaesthetics I got faint two of the three times. But the pain means it's going where it needs to go, and it can really help. Do it! Don't talk yourself into being scared. You'll live!

• Posted

That should be TWO thirds that miss their mark (I'm new to these forums - guess I can't edit a post?)

• Posted

Hi Sheila,

I am 7 months into my second frozen shoulder, the first was five years ago. That time, I had cortisone shots into the shoulder and it was very painful, so much so that I was too scared to have it done this time and when I did get the courage to do it, it was too late as it needs to be done in the inflamation stage. I am now in the frozen stage and relatively pain free. I have been told that there is nothing you can do to speed up the process of FS so it's just a case of managing the pain. If you are in the first stage and can pluck up the courage to have it done it may be worth it.

Good luck

Jo

• Posted

If it works it will be worth it. It hurts a lot but you are laying down and it's only for a minute or two. If you really can't deal with the shot ask to try oral prednisone first.

• Posted

Not really sure why I am so different but I had a cortisone shot into front of shoulder as well as the hydrodilatation treatment where they fill capsule and neither hurt. The second procedure was really weird feeling but not painful. The injections to me are less painful than at the dentist. All the best xx
  • Posted

Hi Sheila:

I've had four so far & all were fine because there was a bit of freezing first, so no worse than a blood test. There was some pressure when the one doc poked against the bone head on purpose to locate; it ached but didn't last. That's the only time I had a student there watching, so it seemed he was concentrating more on the student than on me!

I was told not to do any lifting or physio for 48 hours (that advice varies depending on your doc). The location also varied depending on the doc - going in from the front, top, or back of joint. And twice they did xrays first.

The first shot was at the office & was useless because my shoulder was too thickened well into stage one already. The second shot was during thawing under ultrasound; even "I" could see the pocket where the cortisone had space to go and be effective. The third was two weeks ago under fluroscopy, to improve the last bit of ROM in shoulder #1. The fourth was at the same visit in shoulder #2 to hopefully prevent FS; I have early signs in that shoulder and am hoping the cortisone will stop the inflammation process. So far so good!

Let the nurse or tech help you to feel relaxed with a comfy pillow under your head or whatever you need.  I wore a sports bra, gown or tank top that could be washed if it got the antiseptic cleaner on it.

They may ask you to stick around for 15 minutes or so. Then I had someone drive me home just because it was nicer that way smile

Sorry you're in the FS Club with the rest of us, but hoping you have a positive outcome!

Liane

• Posted

I too have frozen shoulder and got my first cortazone shot 2 weeks ago-it was a Godsend- about  50% of the pain was gone- it also allowed me to start physical therapy.  The shot was administered by my Orthopedic surgeon's assistant in the office and hardly hurt at all- I'm into my 4th month with FS.

Hope that helps-

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.