I think I'm being misdiagnosed!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm a 20 year old female, and I've been having these problems since I was about 15. It all started with some really bad stomach cramps I would get at evening and night times, my mum took me to the doctor and they immediately brushed it off as bad periods and put me on the pill, despite me telling them it was my stomach, not the lower abdomen. He also diagnosed me with IBS. 

Skip a few years, the symptoms have been getting somewhat worse - in the last 2-3 years now I've been suffering with excruciatingly painful cramps that have left me bed bound for hours, I've missed so much work and time with my family and friends because I'm just too weak to get out of bed. I occasionally have mucus and blood in my stool (that is when I can go - a lot of the time I am blocked up for days), have vomiting episodes when the pain is particularly bad, joint pain, terrible lower back pain and blackout headaches similar to migraines. 

My last trip to a&e, the triage sent me up to gynae for a scan. The told me I had a tipped uterus pressing against my bowel and left ovary but was nothing to worry about. 

My doctor doesn't seem too concerned, and has kept me on the medication for IBS even though I have told him countless times it does not work for me. He doesn't seem to take me seriously - maybe because of my age, but I feel concerned about my health. Should I speak to someone else about this? Change doctors? I'm really at my wits end now as I am in constant pain every day, I can't go on like this sad

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I also forgot to add - I have lost 5 stone in a year unintentionally :-(
  • Posted

Change your doctor. I'm surprised you haven't had more tests with blood in your stools.

• Posted

Idiot doctor. Get a secomd opinion and demand proper testing to rule out anything but ibs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.