Ibs with just diarrhoea

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was offically diagnosed with the more severe type of ibs about a year ago. I have pain and cramps every day. The pain is always worse in the mornings and after meals. In the mornings I go to the toilet and usually have a fairly normal looking poo at first. About half an hour later I will go again and have diarrhoea. Sometimes I will also need to go again before I leave the house. I get really anxious if I know I need to be anywhere early in the morning.

My ibs really gets me down at times when it flares up. I take anti diarrhoea most days and buscapan when the cramps are bad. I am constantly worried about needing a poo whilst out because when I need one it comes with urgency. My anxiety is usually bad when my ibs is bad and is a constant battle because anxiety can make ibs worse.

I was wondering if theres anyone else out there who is going through the same thing? What foods do you avoid because I have struggled to identify all foods that are culprits?

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have exactly the same problem but even though I am better now I am not cured. Mine can turn into what I can only describe as mush. I did not work for a year as I could not leave my residence in time to get to work. Over the last month I have started work again but somewhere within walking distance. I have not been there much as we had a crisis back home so I had to spend time there and then attend a funeral but back now and so far so good but for me the short distance is key. It means I can be ill right up to 8.30am and still make it in. That is a lot of time as previously I had to leave 7.15 to 7.30 am and battle the traffic so if I left at 7.50am I knew I was going to be late. I too suffer with anxiety. I introduced exercise and cut out processed food and snacking now is celery rather than coco pops or a ham sandwich. I have changed my diet completely and my weight loss also stopped so my weight is currently stable so that is good news. I used to eat a lot of processed ham slices for lunch that type of food. Coco pops for breakfast and after battling the traffic and getting in late food like waffles as quick but all that out and in comes food like scrambled egg with salmon. No more fish and chips from the fish and chip shop. You get the picture. 
  • Posted

My symptoms were very similar to yours. Have you tried the Low FODMAP diet? It has helped me enormously and enabled me to identify food triggers which I was completely unaware of. For me, onions, garlic and mushrooms will trigger an attack. I am vigilant about the  ingredients of food because it is surprising how many products contain onions etc. I also eat a largely gluten free diet, although I can tolerate small amounts of gluten. As other people have said, I avoid processed, pre-prepared food. I find it much better to cook everything from scratch then I know exactly what the ingredients are. Good luck. 

Jan

PS- should have said it was my GP who suggested Low FODMAP. 

• Posted

Hi Stacey. i know exactly how you feel as i suffer with colitis, ibs-d, fructose malabsorption & bile acid malabsorption. i am currently having ongoing hospital investigations as i am off sick with ongoing symptoms despite diet under control, meds & the above conditions  under control clinically. i find a low residue diet helps - everyhting white - rice, pasta, bread. no cereals, grains, seeds or fibre. (many people with bowel conditions can't break down fibre & it makes diarrea, bloating, pain worse). no skins on veg or fruit. all veg cooked well. i can hardly eat any fruit or veg due to the fructose problem & veg it just comes out looking like it went in sadly. also salad leaves - the greener the worse it is - comes out undigested. i can eat iceberg or kos lettuce - just pick the lighter coloured leaves & that digests. you could perhaps try it for a couple of weeks & see if it helps. x

• Posted

p.s  also avoid high fat/fried foods  - i dont fry anything at all.  xx
  • Posted

Have you try to just do a blend diet with everything boiled, I know it's hard but that way your stomach get used to the food, sometimes the condiment can cause the diahrrea, unless you Dr. already gave you a diet. I have avoid a lot of food like dairy, brocolli, beans, spicy food, chicken, tomatoes sauce, pork fried food, bread for me it the biggest triggered ( but occassionally I'll boiled chicken sometimes the chicken produce a lot of gas) I never go out to dinners because of my problem so I try my best to find healthy places to eat where they gluten free, or lactose free,  also you need to go to the gym, my dr. recommend it for people that chronical IBS, it will help you relax, it helps me with my anxiety, you need to take control of your body and see what really works for you we are different and we are all sensitive to different food. I had situation where I had gone two weeks with diahrrea so I know how that feels but I always take control and relax and just let it go, the more you think about it the more it will bother you. My anxiety has become under control when I made those changes and sleeping does too, I know we have to work, but you also have to make a time for you to eat, the more schedule your breakfast, your lunch and dinner the best your stomach will. best of luck! it has work for me. 

• Posted

Sorry for the errors I hope you can understand me. Have you try to just do a blend diet with everything boiled, I know it's hard but that way your stomach get used to the food, sometimes the condiment can cause the diahrrea, unless your Dr. already gave you a diet. I have avoid a lot of food like dairy products, brocolli, beans, spicy food, chicken, tomatoes sauce, pork, pastas, fried food, bread for me it the biggest triggered ( but occassionally I'll boiled chicken sometimes the chicken produce a lot of gas) I never go out to dinners because of my problem so I try my best to find healthy places to eat where they have gluten free, or lactose free,  also you need to go to the gym, my dr. recommend it for people that have chronical IBS, it will help you relax, it helps me with my anxiety, you need to take control of your body and see what really works for you we are different and we are all sensitive to different foods. I had situation where I had gone two weeks with diahrrea so I know how that feels but I always take control and relax and just let it go, the more you think about it the more it will bother you. My anxiety has become under control when I made those changes and sleeping does too, I know we have to work, but you also have to make time for you to eat, the more you schedule your breakfast, your lunch and dinner it will be best for your stomach. best of luck! it has work for me. hopefully it works for you. 

• Posted

I fully understand where you are coming from with meals/mornings and going to the loo.

I cut out dairy from my diet and I do feel better, I now totally watch what I eat and always read the labels on the back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.