Prenisolone and calcium tablets

Posted , 14 users are following.

I want to pass on some advice that I read about on a website - if you are taking Calcium Tabs with Vit D do not take them the same time as your Prednisolone as they inhibit the absorption of the steroids.

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Thanks Gillian - it has been on the forum in the past but it's always good to repost for newer members

• Posted

Yes Gillian, it bears repeating,  pred for breakfast, calcium for lunch.

When you are prescribed a new medication always check with the pharmacist and tell them what you are already taking.   They will then tell you exactly how to take them.

It is best if you can use the same Chemist, they keep records particularly  when you are on long term meds.  Once a year they ask you call in and go through what you are currently taking.  

Not only that, my Cousin who is 86 and cannot get to the chemists, our lovely Pharmacist comes and sees her at home.

• Posted

I have several long term prescriptions and always use the local chemist. They have never contacted me. Is this usual? 
  • Posted

I stopped taking mhy calcium tabs a couple of months ago when my calcium levels were deemed high.  They are now even higher.  I am not sure if I am even doing the right thing.  Maybe the calcium tabs have nothing to do with the calcium level.  I will not see my primary for two months.  It was the rheumatologist who had his receptionist call me to tell me of the high level.  I am also under the care of a cardiologist.  I will see him on September 2nd.  I will ask him about htis also.  All of this stuff is so confusing.  I was told my one member here to take K2 that it would help with the calcium level.  It was 10.1 when I began those and now it is 11.4 which is quite high.  Does anyone have any idea what's going on????  I know that it can mean parathyroid problems, cancer, tumors, even severe problems with the kidneys.  Isn't the internet a great place to read all of these horrors?  Yikes!!

• Posted

Donna, yes these blood test results are often worrying. My calcium levels are always also high, but only just. I have stopped taking calcium tablets too to see if the reading comes down. I'll not know until middle of September. My husband needed to have his blood test repeated because his calcium levels were high, his GP said that sometimes if a patient is too nervous or stressed out that can also raise the calcium levels. Regards, tina

• Posted

It needs to be investigated - not least because PMR can be a symptom of many things besides what we discuss here. I assume someone is going to check your parathyrooid hormone asap? Because that is one of the first things to look at.
    • Posted

Um, stress can lead to hyperventilation - but that lowers calcium levels I thought...
    • Posted

Yes, I am sure that the parathyroid will be looked at.  It can also cause kidney problems.  My mother died of renal failure, so want them to be aware of that.  I have been having some pains that I thought were heart related, I am now thinking they might be kidney related.  I printed out a long article on hypercalcemia.  My primary is not in on Fridays.  I left a message with him as the rheumatologist's office were the ones that alerted me.  I will be gone Sunday and Monday, so won't be able to set up any appointments until Tuescday.  Hoping to get this looked at ASAP.  In the meantime, I am going to be playing at Disneyland Sunday and Monday!!!  That should get my mind off of things.  LOL  Well, my primary did call me.  He told me to stop the prescription for the Pepcid (proton blocker).  He said that can cause the calcium levels to go up.  I will have a blood test in one month to see if it has gone down.  He was glad that I had stopped the extra calcium and the D.  Anyway, thanks for your expertise on this.  Donna

• Posted

I was not aware of that. Can I take just my Vit D tabs with Prednisone?
    • Posted

That should be fine - it is a pred/calcium interaction that is the problem.

It is something we mention on a regular basis - but your pharmacy should point it out when you are known to be on both calcium and steroids. Doctors are often oblivious of the fact!

• Posted

It is a good idea to take something fatty with vit D such as yogurt to help absorption. I did read you should not drink tea with vit D I am not sure why not though. 
    • Posted

It's said that tea inhibits absorption of vitamins - but half an hour difference is enough to avoid the problem.

Tea apparently can elevate vit D levels in blood - not sure why.

• Posted

Tea seems to have a mind of its own, I think I will stick to Remy Martin! 
    • Posted

Seems fair - but are you challenging MrsK for the title of Brandy Queen?
    • Posted

You will lose ptolemy as a Queen.   You could of course become a Prince as Eric is King. biggrin

• Posted

Yes, but he is alive so a King or Prince is much bettter.biggrin

• Posted

My gosh, this discussion is becoming very erudite!
    • Posted

Well, look at our names!  Mine is from an Old English poem ....
    • Posted

It is a lovely name. I was wondering where is came from, I am obviously not too well educated in Old English poetry. 
    • Posted

The Wanderer translated by Burton Raffel: "This lonely traveller longs for grace, / For the mercy of God; grief hangs on / His heart and follows the frost-cold foam / He cuts in the sea, sailing endlessly, / Aimlessly, in exile. ..."  Pretty good description of the average human life, I'd say.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.