New to Venlafaxine, finding it difficult

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello

I've been on various ADs for anxiety in the past and have stopped due to them being ineffective (Citalopram) or having too many side-effects (Sertraline and Fluoxetine). I've been on Venlafaxine (one morning tab of 37.5mg) for the past 8 days and my appetite has virtually disappeared, while I keep having bad attacks of anxiety and my nerves feel incredibly raw.

I'm tag-teaming the Venlafaxine with Mirtazapine, as I hoped that would keep my sleep and appetite stable (my sleep has been okay) but I'm fairly sure it's the Venlafaxine that's causing these issues. I'm tempted to quit Venlafaxine altogether, but I really do need something to stabilise my anxiety, which seems to be getting worse the older I get.

Anyway, any advice or re-assurance from Ven users would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I started with 37.5 years ago and realized it was not enough. I still had panic attacks...My doctor upped my prescription gradually and I finally settled at 225 Mg a day.  I am fine.  My only bad side effect is consantly sweating which I hate!!!
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply.

I'm seeing the doctor in a fortnight for a review so will probably get put up to 75 then. It's making my anxiety a lot worse than it was before but hopefully that'll settle.

Yes, I've been sweating really badly too, I take a spare t-shirt with me to work as I must reek!

• Posted

Hey there

I've been on the same combination Ven and Mirt. I was having a terrible time and assuming the Ven is causing all the problems but ive come off the Mirt but only 2 days ago and already feel a lot better.

• Posted

That's interesting. I was on Mirt before and while it improved my GI problems and sleep it gave me really bad lightheadedness, so I stopped it.  

I went back on it at 15mg three weeks ago to improve sleep and appetite prior to trying Venkafaxine and it worked, though the lightheadedness has returned. Since my anxiety and appetite problems have only surfaced since starting Ven I'm reasonably sure it is the problem, but I'll talk to the doc and see what he thinks.

• Posted

It's the combination of both not just the one tablet. Also Mirt is more powerful at a lower dose of 15mg.

• Posted

Thanks, I plan to ditch the Mirt once I get stabilised on the Ven so hopefully that'll improve things.

• Posted

Hi I came off mirt to go on ven.. I had no appetite for 2/3 weeks .. it soon comes back ..it takes around 6 weeks for this med to work.. it never actually worked for me either .. the side effects terrible .. I tried it for 4months. I also ended up taking zopiclone because my sleep was non existence after a few weeks .. ven is awful to come off. So dnt wait months for it to work .. keep on top of it .. wish u luck 😊

• Posted

Hi Sharon

Thanks for the reassurance about the appetite. I went back on Mirt to improve my appetite as I lost a stone and a half since stopping it, so I really do hope my appetite comes back.

The Mirt is keeping my sleep okay at the moment, so touch wood I won't have too much trouble in that department. If I do, I will definitely bail on Ven.

Yes, I read that about the withdrawal. I'll see if I start to improve (or at least lose the side effects) over the next fortnight and then decide what to do.

Incidentally, if you don't mind me asking what, if anything, are you taking just now?

• Posted

Wow you never got any cravings with mirt?? I put 12lb on in 10 days .. 2stone in 4months. I got about 18lbs off then went on ven & put it all back on again. Carb cravings awful.. Iv been on lithium(mood stablisor ) for over 3years but needed a med for the depression .. Anxiety ect.. which to start was sirtraline right up till nov 15.. didn't feel like they worked any longer. So then mirt & ven 👊👊 i couldnt sleep once the mirt went upto 30mg which is common so they gave me zopiclone.. very addictive sleep aid...had all the side effects not listed.. Iv been off ven for 3weeks now. Feel I'm getting over the worst..now iv been given another stablisor 😢 just got to be positive but finding it so hard after the last year. 😕 so I'm on lithium, olanzapine & zopiclone 😢

• Posted

Yes, my appetite did increase overnight with Mirt, lots of binges which were quite welcome having lost weight prior to going back on it, but since I've added the Ven my appetite has decreased. I don't plan to go higher than 15 on Mirt and hope to come off it if I can get stabilised on Ven.

I'm sorry to hear you're having a hard time of it too. I've not been myself for four months and am also trying to stay positive but it ain't easy.

Incidentally I was given Zopiclone when I came off Mirt a couple of months back but the aftertaste put me right off.

• Posted

I think youl have no problem getting it back.. hopefully when u come off mirt you won't get WD symptoms. . With being the same type of med.. I don't notice any after taste with zop (not like me ) haha.. ven WD have calmed Abit now.. my head isn't rattling today .. I gave in on Thursday night & took 1/4 of a 75mg. But that's a good sign . Iv tried staying positive but been so ill.. I'm finding it very hard now.. mirt & ven shouldn't be prescribed with lithium. .Iv truly paid the past & lost all trust .

• Posted

I really wish GPs knew how much damage they can do by prescribing ADs, it's amazing how many people get worse because of side effects, withdrawals or bad interactions. 

I did get Mirt withdrawal symptoms before (sleep and appetite problems) but am hoping if I'm stabilised on Ven by then it'll minimise them.

I hope you turn the corner with the Ven WD soon.

• Posted

37.7 mg will not touch the anxiety - it doesn't start to kick in until at least 125mg - my doc started me on 150 for this reason.   Also make sure you get the Extended release tabs, my doc originally put me on the non XR stuff and because it has a short half life it vastly increased my morning anxiety!   I also initially lost my appetite but that came back soon.  I'm on 225mg now and this is the first drug they've tried me on in 12 years of trying that has reduced my anxiety to ZERO smile smile    And the depression smile    I was tailing off mirtazapine as this wasn't working well and I did find that that the combination of the 2 gave me a lot of daytime tiredness.    At first I thought it was the V but as I finally got off the M realised it was a drug interaction.   Had a few bad nights when I finally got off the M but now I seem to get a better quality of sleep even though it takes longer to go to sleep.   It is wonderful to go days and days with zero anxiety now, but you need to get on at least (imo) 150mg, lower than that and the doc is just "playing around".   It's a documented FACT that the SNRI component has zero effect under 125mg and that the bit you need to work for anti-anxiety.

• Posted

Thank for the reassurance about the appetite, there seems to be a consensus that it does come back so that's a relief. It's also good to hear a Ven success story given all the scare stories and negativity that is out there.

I'm on XL so I'll ask if I can get XR the next time, when I will presumably get upped to 75mg. I didn't expect to feel better on 37.5, it's all about getting my system accustomed to the drug, but I didn't think I'd feel majorly worse either.

i don't plan to keep the Mirt going in the long run, it's there to help with sleep (which it has) and appetite (which it hasn't) while I get stabilised on Ven.

• Posted

It is quite incredible how a non-therapeutic dose of 37.5mg that some doctors i know refer to as "below placebo" can actually make you feel like death at first. It is a potent drug. It made a world of difference for me over the years. And yes, it only took the edge off below 150. Real progress came at 150mg. Then it was smooth sailing all the way through to eventual discontinuation of the drug.

• Posted

Thanks, it's good to know it's not just me and that these side effects are normal. I imagine it'll be another six weeks until I go as high as 150 so I'll just have to be patient until then. Good to hear another success story too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.