Overactive Thyroid but putting on weight

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. I have just been diagnozed with overactive thyroid but with weight gain , aching legs , headacche and loss of balence , loss of toe nail and i feel contstantly tight in my tummy dure to the tingly pins and needles feeling . 

Dr has given me carbimazole 20mg a day 

I am on a diet just to try and stay the same even  given up coffee tea and going to try a no carbs , this is crazy how it makes you feel im a happy person and this just is so tummy squizy horrid , Can anyone tell me if this gets better ?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

There seems no sense in it. I lost weight but only because I just couldn't eat. People automatically think only skinny people are hyperthyroid, but the two other people I have met with the disease have been overweight. Often it is because it gives you a huge appetite, which makes dieting virtually impossible. Mine is now under control and I am actually dipping into being hypo occasionally and still do not feel well. I have put on a few pounds now that I can eat but now I only have to have a very small amount to put on weight.

• Posted

Hello Debbieeke Before Graves was diagnosed my weight went from 8 stone to 10 stones and back again like a see saw this went on for about a year had two sets of clothes. When dianosed I was put on Carbinazole which didnt work like you finger nails toe nails hair fell out my bones could not take the weight of my body my legs became bowed and my neck and shoulders creaked and all my teeth came loose. If I  a consumed a mars bar within a few minutes a mars bar came out the other end it was the same with everything I consumued. My heart rate was so fast I was shaking, my husband had to carry me everywhere . When I eventually got to see the Endocrinoligist I had gone into Thyrotoxic shock and nearly died. At the hospital I was given radio active iodine. In a few short weeks I was so much better, the only downside is I cannot loose weight I have tried so many diets gone veggi cut out dairy cut out tea and coffee all to no avail.  I now eat what I like in moderation and drink a lot of milk. It seems most GPs do not know how to treat Thyrotoxic patients ask to see Endocrinologist they deal with all autoimmune problems.   
  • Posted

I have been back and forth. The first time my levels were high (that I know if) I dropped 50 lbs the. The. When my levels went back to normal I gained the 50 back and more! I dieted I ex cerise daily and nothing I did would get the weight off! Then My levels raised and I was hyper again and I dropped 20 lbs just like that, and I have started eating only fresh foods and in moderation and I have dropped another 3 lbs. I feel a lot better just being on a fresh food diet. Still over weight but I'm a work in progress. Maybe the meds are making your tummy not feel good. I was taking my methimazole and atenolol at the same time and stopped. I take my atenolol in the morning and my methimazole I take in the evening. Taking the methimazole in the morning use to make me sick. Hope this helps!

• Posted

It does get better little day by day. It's hard how much this knocks you down and I was on here asking the same question 6 wks ago if things get better. It does the doctor told me this didn't happen over night and you won't get better over night either.

• Posted

Hi Debbie

I'd recommend u look up natural healing methods,  which will include giving your body a mineral and vitamin boost,  magnesium for instance is vital in over 300 different processes in the body and once you get out of balance with an auto immune disease such as this, minerals will start to be depleted and your immune system response is lowered.    Many people take not only magnesium but also L carnetine supplements which will help a great deal.  As for your diet, I would suggest a focus on protein and veggies would help you most,  a really good juicer that juices pulp and juicing raw veg like spinach and kale and brocolli would mean you get 100% of the nutrition they offer and they taste good when you can mix them up with fruit and a sprinkle of cinnamon.   Looking into essential oils is also a great idea, as Frankincense oil for instance has hormone-adjusting effects.  Hope this helps - there's a lot of information out there.

• Posted

thanks for all the replys.  

In the last couple of days my hair has started to fall out , also has anyone else had Pitting edema of lower legs ? , now been put on beta blockers which has helped with headache and heart beat now down to 83- 90 . smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.