AFIB

Posted , 18 users are following.

Can anyone explain to me can you have AFIB without other heart issues causing it? In other words everyone posting on here that have AFIB had stress tests and echos etc done and everythign else is ok except for the AFIB? I know high blood pressure and sleep apnea can cause it- but I am wondering if it is a disease in itself or always secondary? ANYONE? 

thanks

0 likes, 58 replies

58 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes.  It is a disturbance in the body's electrical system as opposed to the vascular system.  It has nothing to do with cholesterol etc.. although having high cholesterol will put you at more risk for cardiac events.

• Posted

Thank you- i was just diagnosed and they have me going for two stress tests, echo, and halter monitor- makes me nervous that something could be wrong with my heart- 
  • Posted

Hi. I have PAF, with absolutely no other health issues. I have normal BP, even in my worst episodes, perfectly within range. Ive been MRI scanned incase of HoCM which was also negative. The only meds I take are 20 mg daily of Rivaroxaban thinners as a consequence of the PAF. As part of my diagnosis of it, i had numerous ECG tests, x-rays, 24hr, 7 day and 4 week monitors and an echo. So, as far as Im concerned, it stands alone!! Hope this helps. 😁

• Posted

Thank you- i was just diagnosed and they have me going for two stress tests, echo, and halter monitor- makes me nervous that something could be wrong with my heart- 
    • Posted

what is PAF - primary a fib? HoCM? sorry , new to this- lol
    • Posted

PAF is paroxyml atrial fibrillation, thats to say Im not in it all the time but have episodes of it - mine range from 4 to 26hrs. And HOCM is hypertrophic cardiac myyopathy which causes a thickening of the heart walls. AF can contribute to that according to my consultant, due to the repeated bouts of irregular rhythm. It can also be genetic, or lifestyle related. One of the big risks with AF is stroke due to clots forming in the heart during an episode, then getting fired out. Hence the very strong likely need for a blood thinner.
    • Posted

thank you for explaining that to me- i appreciate it. So most everyone on here probably has PAF? Not sure?
    • Posted

With the benefit of hindsight, I now suspect that I probably had PAF for many years.

I used get those heavy, rapid thumpings (often when drinking, or after smoking) and used to get a little concerned about it, but it always went away after a little while, so I became dismissive of it all.

Then one one day it came to stay.

Now 20 months,5 cardioversions and an ablation later (and also a lot more knowledgable about my condition), i firmly believe that my future AF status is largely in my own hands.

I stongly suspect that if i continue to addres those risk factors that are addressable and  make the neccessary lifesttyle changes, I can significantly reduce the chances of AF returning in the future.

Time will tell i guess?

• Posted

Hi, it is posssible to have Afib with an otherwise healthy/normal heart, but generally speaking there are a number factors/triggers can cause  AF to occur.

In my case it was excess alcohol, obesity and severe sleep  apnoea.

If you do some googling you can find out a lot.

The majority of my knowledge on AF has come from googling Prof.Prash Sanders and Dr john M

If i may be so bold to suggest googling "legacy PI throws down the gaunlet and Prash Sanders" . this wil take you to a Medscape page with a short and very informative interview with Prof. Prash Sanders (one of leading people in this area of medicine).

It would appear that in the majority of cases, AF is a lifestyle related disease, rather than a disease in it's own right. Having said that, my mother(who's 85yo)has lived with AF for the last 15 years, so I probably had a genetic prediposition to it, but my overindulgent lifestlye caused it to occur with me two years ago at the tender age of 48!

Anyway, happy googling, there's lots of info out there.

• Posted

Thank you so much for explaining all that -Both my parents had AFIB- my dad lived until 87 and my Mom is 87. I am going to be tested for sleep apnea, i am a bit over weight, high blood pressure but not that bad it is under control. No alcohol or cigarettes. I just hope and pray all of these test with my heart come back fine and they get this under control. It just started for me. My last EKG was with my physical in NOV 2015 i then began with symptoms the last two weeks and thought it was stress. I finally went to Doctor this past Wednesday. Did EKG and sent me to cardiologist the next day. Now i will have halter monitor on Monday and then Echo and 2 part stress test will not know the results until Sept 1. Oh II hate waiting gives you more stress. My son is getting married out of state on Sept. 10 so i hope all is ok. I am on Eloquis and something to slow heart rate down right now. I will do some googling. THank you again and good luck to you with your health. 
    • Posted

The thing with AF is that there are numerous possible causes. So trying to pinpiont the exact cause is usually quite difficult.

Just simply having a virus can cause Af in an otherwise seemingly healthy person.

From what I've read though, it often seems to be a 'perefct storm', or allingnment of several/multiple possible triggers that causes AF.

I guess knowledge is power. If you have a genetic pre-disposition, and are aware of the risk factors and possible triggers, you can pevent that 'perfect storm' from occuring

• Posted

Thanks - sounds like a very complex medical malady- Lucky us- 

sad

• Posted

Hi, I think AFIB is just something on its own and not caused by any other heart issue. I was diagnosed 5 months ago, everything else on my Heart is ok except one of the chambers which is causing AFIB.

Good Luck

• Posted

thank you so much - i hope so! take care! 
  • Posted

Hi PJoy, I had no other heart issues when my AF statrted. Working in Paris and I was running in the park several times but picked up a chest infection on a flight resulting in pneumonia. After antibiotic treatment I noticed I was out of breath cycling to work and when I saw my GP back in the UK I was sent to A&E where AF was confirmed.

• Posted

Wow, sounds like you were healthy and something like that just comes on. I know there is a genetic component too and both my parents had it- those damn genes- THANK you for the info and good luck with your health. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.