Exercise to help with osteoporosis

Posted , 6 users are following.

My husband has bailed up on going to the pool so we need to make an exercise plan for home. It needs to be something we will stick to. My husband is a lot stronger so he will need to do extra. I am limited with walking so it will need to be short bursts of about six minutes. I can manage one kilogram weights.

I do have lots of easy exercises that I have been taught for knees and shoulder post surgery. 

Motivation is an issue for both of us.

Ideas please?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Kathleen, would you both consider going to a gym?  I'm thinking personal trainer rather than random use of equipment.  I've heard great positive reports about signing up with a PT, though I think it's worth asking for recommendations to get someone who you both can work with and who has an understanding of what you need and can tailor the session to suit your capabilities .  Meanwhile he could devise a different plan for your husband, something perhaps more challenging ? 

i just do walking , need to up my exercise but I'm convinced I have adult dyspraxia as I'm forever stumbling and falling.  That's why I gave up Zumba! 

Nordic walking has become increasingly popular too. Though I understand with walking being limited for you this maybe isn't an option.

• Posted

I have thought of a personal trainer coming to the house but it is probably too expensive.

My husband can walk further than me and he needs heavier weights. He has the bones of a 30 year old but he does have some arthritis in knees etc. 

• Posted

I meant to thank you Evelyn. Any ideas are good for us to throw around.
  • Posted

Hi, Kathleen

I findClinical Pilates works for myself and my husband. I have osteoporosis that has recently been diagnosed adn my husband suffers with a bad back due to crushed discs. We go once a week to Clinical pilates and we have a very good and supportive teacher that shows us the right execises for our particular needs using aids such as balls (hard and soft) strechy rubber bands  which we use on our ankles and knees when doing floor exercises etc.  Also I understand Thai chi and Yoga is also a good execise for osteoporosis. hope this helps

regards Linda

• Posted

We did go to the pool yesterday. Still need to add specific exercises that we can do at home though. Maybe a six minute walk outside then a few weight exercises and some others and then another six minute walk outside. We will try to do this most days. Just need to fine tune the exercises aimed at osteoporosis. I have found some but yet to trial them.

More ideas on specific exercises to add up to about 20 minutes?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.