unusual blood results while on Prednisone

Posted , 9 users are following.

I was wondering if anybody has had  unusual blood test results while being on Prednisone,  I have been taking Predn. for 18 months and am currently down to 9mgs tapering very slowly to 8mgs.  I have had to FBC which have showed high Platelet count and White Cell count slightly high.  Neutrophils, Lymphocytes, slightly high, Monocytes, Eosinophils and Basophils all low. My ESR was 58 down from 90 previously. I am currently waiting to visit with a Haemotologist to see if Prednisone is creating these readings. 

Has other people had a problem like this after being on Prednisone?

regards,  T

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Track the only strange blood test I had was very very high iron count in my blood .....DR and Rhumy questioned me several times to see if I had a operation and had been give extra iron to take ......NO I kept telling them 
    • Posted

Thank you Karen for your reply.

My Iron count has been okay.

All the best,    Track

• Posted

Oh Track, where to start!!!! Since my very first blood test pre PMR diagnosis my blood results have been all over the place. Serum Alaline Phosphatase sometimes high, Serum ALT sometimes high, Haematocrit sometimes high, Haemoglobin estimation sometimes high, Red blood cell sometimes high, MCH sometimes high, MCHC sometimes high, Lymphocyte count once high, Serum creatinine, once high, serum sodium once high, eGFRcreat (CKD-EPI) always low, Serum calcium always high, serum alkaline phosphatase sometimes high, Serum Amylase, once high, Serum bilirubin once high, GGT always off the chart, well into the hundreds!! but the good news.....ESR &CRP always within range so not always bad news!!!!!

My Dr's don't seem to be too concerned so what 's to do.  I sit back and I feel absolutely fine. Obviously, I'd love to get to the bottom of it all as odd blood results are always a worry but as I said the DR's don't seem concerned. Regards, tina.

• Posted

Oh Tina, you have made me feel quite a lot better.  I also feel fine, so have to accept and take notice of the Drs.

thank you for your reply.      Track

• Posted

Hello Tina

I saw in your blood results you always have high calcium levels.  That is a red flag, you should get your PTH tested (parathyroid hormone) and if that's high too, it means you very likely have Pimary Hyperparathyroidism and not PMR.  I was misdiagnosed with PMR initially but high calcium is a classic sign of Primary Hyperparathyroidism so it would be advisable to investigate this further.  There are 4 tiny parathyroid glands behind the thyroid which regulate the calcium to within a very tight range and if that level goes too high this means that at least one of your parathyroid glands is not working properly/doing it's job of keeping the level in the normal range.  This means you could have a growth on one of the 4 tiny glands.

I wonder if you haven't had it that long because you say you feel fine but over time high calcium makes you feel bad and causes lots of symptoms and eventually leads to osteoporosis if the growth (adenoma) is not removed.   Also a high Alkaline Phosphatase level can also be a symptom of Primary Hyperparathyroidism.  Other symptoms include fatigue, bone aches, muscle aches, kidney stones, headaches, brain fog and many more.  I would respectfully advise you to question your diagnosis and seek further investigation. 

If you do have Primary Hyperparathyroidism then you will find that when you take Prednisolone, it has little effect at low levels of around 7 or 8 mg and since steroids also remove calcium from your bones as well as Primary Hyperparathyroidism (PHPT), then that will just speed up the osteoporosis.  You should request a bone scan to see if your bones are thin.

I wish you all the best and hope you get the correct diagnosis.

Rosemary

• Posted

Thank you Rosemary, I will be seeing my GP in early September so will chat with her about my blood results then. Regards, tina.
  • Posted

Not long after I started to take the steroids, I was on 20mg to start with and it cause Diabetes 2,Thrush of the mouth and gentials, 6months down the line I'm on 10mg and my sugar count with a change of diet as gone down I will be glad to be off them altogether cause that tightness in your face which is the sugar rush from the tablets is horrid

• Posted

I have an inherited problem in my family line called Hemochromatosis. It really doesn't present itself so is insidious in causing health problems that strangely mimic PMR with the weakness, fatique etc but then doesn't alot of diseases. Just bringing it up so you could bring that up with the doctors. There is another health problem called (DIOS) Dysmetabolic Iron Overload Syndrome to have your docs check out too. Please let us all know what comes out of your diagnosis. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.